"Offers", what do they mean?

SeniorDrill

"Offers", what do they mean? I just read an article on BR titled, "Vols Football: Complete 2015 Offer List". You ain't gonna believe this, the football team has offered 274 scholarships to players for the 2015 class. Now let's turn to basketball. Does anyone have any idea how many offers have been made so far for basketball scholarships? Can somebody please explain the process? Does an offer really mean anything if for some reason the coaching staff decides they no longer want the player? I always thought if they were offered and they accepted, then they were in the class. This sounds like that is not the way it works. Hopefully, someone can explain this.

Reactions: 1 person
No, it's definitely not the way it works. Basically you have committable offers and non-committable offers.

As for basketball offers, there is around 20-25 scholarship offers out right now for 2015.

"Offers", what do they mean? I just read an article on BR titled, "Vols Football: Complete 2015 Offer List". You ain't gonna believe this, the football team has offered 274 scholarships to players for the 2015 class. Now let's turn to basketball. Does anyone have any idea how many offers have been made so far for basketball scholarships? Can somebody please explain the process? Does an offer really mean anything if for some reason the coaching staff decides they no longer want the player? I always thought if they were offered and they accepted, then they were in the class. This sounds like that is not the way it works. Hopefully, someone can explain this.

It's the law of averages: the more no's you hear bring you closer to a yes.

It's what an Alabama fan has to do to keep his sister from getting pregnant: "Get Offer".

Reactions: 7 people

Asked and answered - look in the recruiting forum - it has been explained multiple times.

Asked and answered - look in the recruiting forum - it has been explained multiple times.
I just looked in the recruiting forum. The answer is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Could somebody just explain if it has been explained multiple times? Must not be a simple answer. Better still, can you point me to a post that explains it in the recruiting forum? Maybe someone else would like to know also.

The offer means the school is interested in recruiting the player.

They may want them to camp for a more accurate evaluation. Some offers are immediately commit able. For example, if McKenzie calls CBJ today to commit then all parties are on the same page.

Much like the DT that tried to commit, felt shunned, and then committed to Clemson. UT wanted further evaluation due to the fact that they had higher rated players at the position. Not sure UT handles that one the best.

Its like making an offer on a house, the seller agrees, and then the buyer says, "contingent on it passing inspection."

So, there is no perfect way to explain what an offer means without seeing their board. I'm certain the coaches have positions and players ranked.

Reactions: 1 person
It sounds like the word "offer" is as misunderstood & misused as the word "commit." neither are used correctly in recruiting.

They may want them to camp for a more accurate evaluation. Some offers are immediately commit able. For example, if McKenzie calls CBJ today to commit then all parties are on the same page.

Much like the DT that tried to commit, felt shunned, and then committed to Clemson. UT wanted further evaluation due to the fact that they had higher rated players at the position. Not sure UT handles that one the best.

Its like making an offer on a house, the seller agrees, and then the buyer says, "contingent on it passing inspection."

So, there is no perfect way to explain what an offer means without seeing their board. I'm certain the coaches have positions and players ranked.

Thanks a bunch for all the contributions to the discussion. I have a much better understanding. I guess it boils down to the highest ranked or highest thought of players get the scholarships and the majority of the "offers" have to go to another school. Is that a valid assumption?

Thanks a bunch for all the contributions to the discussion. I have a much better understanding. I guess it boils down to the highest ranked or highest thought of players get the scholarships and the majority of the "offers" have to go to another school. Is that a valid assumption?

It varies by sport some, but the general principal is the same, not every offer is commutable.

Nick Rogers in basketball is a good example, he's a pretty solid prospect, and has an "offer". He even visited unofficially on his own dime, however if he were to try and commit it's likely Tyndall and the staff would try to have him hold off until they knew where they stood with some guys they thought more highly of.

Good job of explaining it you save me a lot of time and trouble.... Just to add the commits/offers usually work themselves out ..,,,players commit one direction that affects another's commit and Around it goes.... Nothing is in concrete until I sign the letter of intent..... ever.... Commits ...,offers ....all of it really means nothing until the ultimate word is in which is usually the coach....

By the way we usually know about an offer because the player puts it out certainly not the program so take that for what it's worth...

VN Store

Back