"Pops" still with team

Volinmem

In an article today by Patrick Brown (Chattanooga Times), he said that Pops is still in school and working out with the team until at least the end of the first semester. CDT said that he will decide on his future by the end of the semester. I don't know how to copy and paste an article from IPhone. SIAP. Just to clarify, it's the first semester of summer classes.

Last edited:
* As Tyndall indicated more than two weeks ago, rising senior center Rawane "Pops" Ndiaye is in school for the first semester of summer classes and working out with the Vols while he decides on his future with the program. "There will be an update at the end" of that first summer session, the coach said.

* Mostella is working out with the team and attending classes, but he's yet to receive a final word on his eligibility from the NCAA clearinghouse. Tyndall expects he'll be cleared.

Tyndall said most of the summer work will emphasize offense and skill development, and the preseason practices will be "75 percent" focused on defense. That certainly is a change from the previous staff's defense-always approach.

"It's definitely going to be completely different from how we played last year," Reese said. "Last year I feel like it was more of a slower pace, more trying to get the ball inside. This year we're going to run because we don't have a Jarnell [Stokes] or a Jeronne [Maymon] inside, so we're going to run a lot, push it, score a lot of points, press -- that's going to be our game."

Donnie Tyndall's UT Vols 'basically starting back over' | Times Free Press

Reactions: 3 people
I guess Reese hasn't talked to Ken Palmaroy or looked at the tempo stats based off bs and analyzed by the clueless to opine about the pace of a CDT team.

Reactions: 2 people
Just practice on putting the ball in the basket. Seems to work well in game time situations.

Call me crazy but I saw/see potential in pops he's big obviously not many bigs wanna bang with him and he showed some impressive post moves including a sweet drop step which caught me off guard
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I have no problem keeping Pops if he wants to be here. I'm not exactly in favor of pushing a senior out the door in lieu of a potentially better option. I don't think he'll make a noticeable contribution in this system though. He struggled to get minutes in a system better suited for his abilities, so I don't see that changing in a system that requires post players to run the floor and be uber-athletic. That's not a knock on Pops, it's just not who he is.

If Pops can provide a useful function in clogging the middle and getting rebounds, then by all means keep him. The pace will not always be controlled by the Vols, other teams can slow it down into a half court tempo. Pops provides an option to help deal with it if he will get in better shape.

No reason not to lets Pops stay if there is not another player coming in later in the summer. He doesn't seem to be concerned if he doesn't play so let him stay if we don't have anyone else to take that scholarship.

I have no problem keeping Pops if he wants to be here. I'm not exactly in favor of pushing a senior out the door in lieu of a potentially better option. I don't think he'll make a noticeable contribution in this system though. He struggled to get minutes in a system better suited for his abilities, so I don't see that changing in a system that requires post players to run the floor and be uber-athletic. That's not a knock on Pops, it's just not who he is.

I have less of an issue with it now that the rule is in place that would allow him transfer anywhere else and not have to sit out.

If Pops wants to be here, why get rid of him? Since he is a senior, the spot is open for the next recruiting cycle. And with all the guys that have left that didn't want to be here, why run off a guy if he wants to stay? Even if he sees limited game time, having a big bodied guy to practice against has merit.

Besides, Hyams has stated several times that Pops will not be on the team next year. Reason enough for many of us to want him to stay.

I have less of an issue with it now that the rule is in place that would allow him transfer anywhere else and not have to sit out.

I have a problem with it if Pops wants to be here. If he's willing to move on, and wants to, I'm fine with it. I just see no good in giving him his walking papers if it isn't his choice, and he is in good academic standing.

Reactions: 2 people
I have a problem with it if Pops wants to be here. If he's willing to move on, and wants to, I'm fine with it. I just see no good in giving him his walking papers if it isn't his choice, and he is in good academic standing.

Scholarships are year to year, if the coach feels he's improving the team by making that move I've got zero issue with it.

Nice, peace, we will see as the world turns. Hard to not be excited about the new season. Full stop. In the meantime 3 months til football, 5 months til basketball. Exciting times in VolNation.

Scholarships are year to year, if the coach feels he's improving the team by making that move I've got zero issue with it.

If he wasn't a senior, I might feel differently. And if there was a sure-fire player available, it miggt be different given the dire straits condition of our roster. However, since he is a senior, and we are very unlikely to find a player worthy of pulling the rug out from a senior, I say keep him.

If he wasn't a senior, I might feel differently. And if there was a sure-fire player available, it miggt be different given the dire straits condition of our roster. However, since he is a senior, and we are very unlikely to find a player worthy of pulling the rug out from a senior, I say keep him.

I don't think Tyndall pulls it unless he finds someone, don't think he would pull it just to be a mean guy, that I wouldn't be ok with. That's why right now Pops is still at Tennessee, they haven't found anyone, but if they do they'll likely part ways.

VN Store

Back