Team Strength a Concern for CDT

bowlinggreenvol

Yesterday at the Nashville Sports Festival CDT touched on our lack of strength, compared to his USM team, in response to a fan's question asking what concerns him the most going into next year. On Friday they did strength, vertical, agility tests and measurements with everyone who's on campus and he said 185lb. bench press is the standard they used because that's what the NBA uses at the combine. Last years USM team averaged 13 reps of 185 while we averaged 6 on Friday. He singled out JRich for only being able to do 4. He was astonished at how "weak" the returning players were and without saying as much it was clear that he wondered what the hell the strength program had consisted of in the previous years. He also noted that Owens measured in at 6'10, 185 and laughed at everyone's reaction. Then followed it up with "but he can jump through the ceiling."

Despite his affection for lankier guys that can get up and down the court it's apparent we need to add more strength and size if we're to be successful in his system and this league.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
CCM was to the BBall program, what CDD was to the FB program. The gift that keeps on giving. Thanks Hammy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 people
Comparing Coach Martin too Dooley is just plain off base. Dooley - no Bowls(stand corrected - Music City Bowl) and losing seasons. Coach Martin winning seasons and a sweet sixteen. There is no comparison. You shouldn't buy everything everyone sells at you. Watched this team play many games last season and strength and condition was never an issue. Making buckets perhaps, but not condition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 people
Comparing Coach Martin too Dooley is just plain off base. Dooley - no Bowls and losing seasons. Coach Martin winning seasons and a sweet sixteen. There is no comparison. You shouldn't buy everything everyone sells at you. Watched this team play many games last season and strength and condition was never an issue. Making buckets perhaps, but not condition.

Strength and conditioning are two diff things

Reactions: 4 people
When Coach Martin's team beat Texas A&M in 4 OT's last year, and then turned around 3 days later and beat Florida at home, I knew conditioning was never a problem. The boys were in shape, and we won games because of it.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm never shocked at basketball players being weak as crap. Every school I've been at basketball players try to go the entire season without lifting.

Monday-can't lift coach, I've got a game on Tuesday

Tuesday-can't lift coach, I've got a game today

Wednesday- I can't lift today because I've got a game tomorrow

Thursday-I can't lift because I've got a game today.

Friday-wasn't at school because of game yesterday

Some of it is pure laziness. The rest is this unwarranted fear that they will instantly be 3 times as strong as they were yesterday and that it will mess with there jump shot.

I always point out Lebron James. NBA season is about 9 months, yet he is still jacked. He plays a game about every other day. There's no way he is takin the day before a game off from the weight room.

CCM was to the BBall program, what CDD was to the FB program. The gift that keeps on giving. Thanks Hammy!

yeah you are just throwing crap. Anyone who watched a game could see UT was well conditioned and over powered most teams we played

Reactions: 2 people
I'm never shocked at basketball players being weak as crap. Every school I've been at basketball players try to go the entire season without lifting.

Monday-can't lift coach, I've got a game on Tuesday

Tuesday-can't lift coach, I've got a game today

Wednesday- I can't lift today because I've got a game tomorrow

Thursday-I can't lift because I've got a game today.

Friday-wasn't at school because of game yesterday

Some of it is pure laziness. The rest is this unwarranted fear that they will instantly be 3 times as strong as they were yesterday and that it will mess with there jump shot.

I always point out Lebron James. NBA season is about 9 months, yet he is still jacked. He plays a game about every other day. There's no way he is takin the day before a game off from the weight room.

I remember starting to lift it in high school for basketball, it took my game to another level. It makes every part of your game better.

Strength and conditioning are two diff things

Yeah but I college you usually do both that why the coach is called strength and conditioning. Also if you haven't been in the weight room much over the past month you will loose strength. I wouldn't put too much stock into that. This is a contact sport not collision. If they can't do 13 reps by this fall then be worried.

Comparing Coach Martin too Dooley is just plain off base. Dooley - no Bowls and losing seasons. Coach Martin winning seasons and a sweet sixteen. There is no comparison. You shouldn't buy everything everyone sells at you. Watched this team play many games last season and strength and condition was never an issue. Making buckets perhaps, but not condition.

Dooley made it to a bowl game.

Can't compare CCM to the Bamboo Farmer. Son of Vince can't hold CCM's jock.

The one thing I was never worried about with last year's team was conditioning, I have to say. Conditioning and rebounding.

Winning and scoring, those were different matters.

Reactions: 1 person
Gosh, 6'10", 185??? I'm 6'5", 190, and I am in no way in basketball shape right now.

That kid needs 60lbs. Lucky he's in the south and has 5 months. Send him to my mama's house. He'll eat 5 meals a day, and every one will have at least two things fried, and lots of protein...

Biscuits and bacon gravy, anyone?

Gosh, 6'10", 185??? I'm 6'5", 190, and I am in no way in basketball shape right now.

That kid needs 60lbs. Lucky he's in the south and has 5 months. Send him to my mama's house. He'll eat 5 meals a day, and every one will have at least two things fried, and lots of protein...

Premature hardening of the arteries, anyone?

Reactions: 1 person

Mama gon mama, LOL

But I thought CM's Strengh coach, Nostradamus was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I mean he sure knew how to be a cheerleader on the bench.

yeah you are just throwing crap. Anyone who watched a game could see UT was well conditioned and over powered most teams we played

We overpowered teams because Stokes and Maymon used their God given talents to do so. Not because CCM had anything to do with it. I thought the conditioning on the team was good, though. I'm just glad CCM is finally gone and he can take his "talents" of mediocrity elsewhere.

I honestly liked Dools better. Not saying he was a better coach but I liked him more.

Then you really didn't know either coach. CDD was a total d!ck whereas CCM was a nice guy. Maybe CCM didn't interview well with the media but he clearly wasn't an arse to the folks in the athletic department like CDD was.

VN Store

Back