The Art of Recruiting Junior College Players

As a coach, don't waste your time recruiting a JUCO unless you are positive that he will be a starter in the 1st year on campus.

A JUCO should be ready to be a starter once he arrives on campus, not be a mere contributor...

So Punter and Baulkman shouldn't have been takes?

Couldn't play dead in a mafia movie lol.....that was my favorite quote from that story

Baulkman may be the surprise player in the class. Should be a versatile defender and play some back-up pg.

Hey Stoked, I have a feeling the post you quoted was a rhetorical question. you know helping the ole agenda. :)

As a coach, don't waste your time recruiting a JUCO unless you are positive that he will be a starter in the 1st year on campus.

A JUCO should be ready to be a starter once he arrives on campus, not be a mere contributor...

This year is different than most needing 8 players but if you like a Juco and feel he can be in your top 8 or 9 and contribute, get him. The problem with Zo is his Juco guys were 9-13 in rotation which usually meant riding the bench.

Baulkman may be the surprise player in the class. Should be a versatile defender and play some back-up pg.

Hey Stoked, I have a feeling the post you quoted was a rhetorical question. you know helping the ole agenda. :)

Not sure what you are getting at, but sure lol.

Edit: never mind I get it lol and yeah isn't that the truth.

Last edited:

I think you can change out "starter" with "major contributor". Not every JUCO has to start or be a star. They should be at a point where they can contribute right away though .

Reactions: 3 people
but the current coach hasn't coached a single game for the Vols....

I had absolute zero confidence in the previous in basically all he did. After meeting Coach D, I at least have some confidence in him as I believe he understands what it takes to win.

So Punter and Baulkman shouldn't have been takes?

Would you rather have JUCO's like (1) Charlie Garner, Chris Mimms, Julian Battle & DeAngelo Willingham or (2) Billy Williams, Larry Binion, Walter Fisher and Kenny O'Neal.

As you can see, group (1) was ready to play in the S.E.C. from the first game of the season; whereas group (2) were never ready for S.E.C. football.....

Billy Williams was fast as a receiver but he couldn't learn the playbook.

Larry Binion cost us the UCLA game, if I remember correctly. His mind was out of the game because of some girlfriend problem and he screwes up royaly.

Kenny O'Neal was fast but never saw the field.

Walter Fisher never made a name for himself.

Charlie Garner was a 2nd round NFL draftee. If not for 2nd hand smoke that he inhaled, he would have been a 1st rounder.

Chris Mimms played almost 10 years in the NFL with the Chargers.

Julian Battle played for K.C. and did well for about 2 seasons. I remember his interception for a t.d. against Notre Dame also.

DeAngelo caused a fumble in a critical game one season and that one play gave us the victory. He never made it in the NFL but he was a solid college player.

Would you rather have JUCO's like (1) Charlie Garner, Chris Mimms, Julian Battle & DeAngelo Willingham or (2) Billy Williams, Larry Binion, Walter Fisher and Kenny O'Neal.

I'm not talking NFL, or who would I rather have, would you rather have Lebron James or Rudy Gay?

It was a simple question, should Tyndall have not taken Punter and Baulkman in your opinion?

VN Store

Back