Tariq Owens

"The St. Vincent Pallotti High School (Laurel, Md.) product who spent last season at Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore can start using his four years of college eligibility immediately".

That is interesting, guess you're the first to notice that. So physically he should actually be more ready to contribute than your typical freshman, and shouldn't look like your typical 6'11" freshman does, like a new born horse.

Reactions: 3 people
That is interesting, guess you're the first to notice that. So physically he should actually be more ready to contribute than your typical freshman, and shouldn't look like your typical 6'11" freshman does, like a new born horse.

It is possible that he simply attended his senior year at a prep school. Landry, Wiggins, Rathan-Mayes, Kingsley, Woodson all at Huntington PREP two years ago attended a prep school, but not as an additional year like Detrick Mostella and Jabari McGhee.

It is possible that he simply attended his senior year at a prep school. Landry, Wiggins, Rathan-Mayes, Kingsley, Woodson all at Huntington PREP two years ago attended a prep school, but not as an additional year like Detrick Mostella and Jabari McGhee.

Common practice.

Good call, and I'm pretty sure that's the case here.

Great developmental pick up. DT is working his prep school connections hard. Did Owens not qualify out of high school or was he fishing for bigger offers?

Due to coaching change at Ohio University he requested and was granted his release from Ohio University.

Reactions: 1 person
Good call, and I'm pretty sure that's the case here.

When they call him a "product" of a high school, I just assumed he graduated there. It actually looks like he played for 3 schools in 3 years, as Owens transferred from TAAG academy to Mt. Zion Prep. Based on this article, it is a post high school prep school.

"Harrison, the second-year coach at Mount Zion Prep, and Elliott, one of his assistants, are trying to give players who didn't have the grades or game coming out of high school a chance to do what they did."

Mount Zion Prep gives extra help to boys basketball players - Baltimore Sun

Reactions: 1 person
When they call him a "product" of a high school, I just assumed he graduated there. It actually looks like he played for 3 schools in 3 years, as Owens transferred from TAAG academy to Mt. Zion Prep. Based on this article, it is a post high school prep school.

"Harrison, the second-year coach at Mount Zion Prep, and Elliott, one of his assistants, are trying to give players who didn't have the grades or game coming out of high school a chance to do what they did."

Mount Zion Prep gives extra help to boys basketball players - Baltimore Sun

That's not solely what it is though, Owens is a class of 14 graduate, he didn't reclassify.

So you're saying they mix of kids who have graduated high school with kids who haven't?

I was right, this is from the Ohio Rivals page.

The star of the class is Owens, a 6-foot 8-inch power forward out of Laurel, Md.. He's a 4-star recruit and rated as the No. 21 power forward in the nation for the class of 2014 according to Scout.com. Owens is currently playing a post-graduate season at TAAG Academy in Florida, but will be classed as a freshman when he arrives in Athens. He chose Ohio over offers from Miami, Fl., South Florida and Florida Gulf Coast, among others

Is that not what Huntington Prep has done?

What I'm telling you is that Owens spent 4 years in high school, and he's a class of 2014 graduate.

Then why does the Ohio rivals page say he is playing a post graduate year?

"The star of the class is Owens, a 6-foot 8-inch power forward out of Laurel, Md.. He's a 4-star recruit and rated as the No. 21 power forward in the nation for the class of 2014 according to Scout.com. Owens is currently playing a post-graduate season at TAAG Academy in Florida, but will be classed as a freshman when he arrives in Athens. He chose Ohio over offers from Miami, Fl., South Florida and Florida Gulf Coast, among others"

I was right, this is from the Ohio Rivals page.

The star of the class is Owens, a 6-foot 8-inch power forward out of Laurel, Md.. He's a 4-star recruit and rated as the No. 21 power forward in the nation for the class of 2014 according to Scout.com. Owens is currently playing a post-graduate season at TAAG Academy in Florida, but will be classed as a freshman when he arrives in Athens. He chose Ohio over offers from Miami, Fl., South Florida and Florida Gulf Coast, among others

I thought he played at Mt Zion, not TAAG?

VN Store

Back