2015 JUCO PG Dequon Miller

TeazyT

Where's Rommel?
Height: Listed as 5'8 on ESPN 5'11 on Motlow website, closer to 5'9 IMO
Weight: 160 lbs.
Position: PG
Hometown: Chaleston, WV
School: Motlow State CC

Dequon Miller is a PG from West Virginia at Motlow State that was set to leave this year and would have probably ended up at Ole Miss, however due to an issue with the NCAA clearinghouse he will spend another year at Motlow, but still leave JuCo with 3 years eligibility.

Strengths: Dequon is fast as lightning, really one of the quickest, most agile players I've seen in the JuCo ranks. He has a nice crossover and can easily blow by his defenders, but also has a really nice pull up jumper and is a pretty accurate shooter from outside.

Weakness: The one thing I see really holding Dequon back is his size, sure he can drive by and score layups against these JuCo teams, but It will be a lot tougher battling these big SEC teams night in and night out.

Overall: Dequon will provide a lot if Tennessee can nab him, he has a lot of heart and effort and will be a very versatile 1 guard. He will surely be one of the most exciting players to watch on the court, you can guarantee that. I would be ecstatic if we could land him, even though his size worries me. He honestly reminds me a lot of Chris Jones and Dequons JuCo stats compare favorably to Jones'.

Stats from this past season at Motlow:
28 ppg
8 apg
3 spg

Offers: Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee, and some mid majors
Interest from: TAMU, Memphis, Arkansas, Mizzou, Washington State

Fixed the title to 2015 as per BTOs post. That's how Rivals lists him.

Coach Tyndall likes the smart, field-general type point guard.
Does he fit the mold?

Had a really nice game for a freshman. will really improve next season.
He'll fit perfectly.

He's kind of a munchkin, even for a PG. I guess he could still grow another couple of inches?

He's kind of a munchkin, even for a PG. I guess he could still grow another couple of inches?

This 5' 3" guy's 14 year NBA career proved a munchkin can play point.

255x425

Reactions: 3 people
If that is Motlow State in Tullahoma that is 10 minutes
from me. I will have to go watch him. Best part is admission
is free for their games.

@JucoRecruiting: Tennessee has offered Dequon Miller (PG/2015) of Motlow St.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Tennessee land Miller and Edmond from the JUCO ranks for next season. Gives you a JUCO PG and SG/SF to step right in next year, and bring in a guy like Evans and Beasley to split time with and learn.

This 5' 3" guy's 14 year NBA career proved a munchkin can play point.

255x425

I was a Bulls fan (Michael Jordan fan mostly), but I really enjoyed watching him play. I liked how they played the buzzing sound as he was full court pressing them.

Sooo, does anyone (BTO, Pdogg, or others) think its possible that Tyndall is in this guys ear telling him he can walk into the starting PG spot this year? At this point he could load up on courses this summer and make it happen. I am not saying its likely, I just thinking this possibility had to a least be discussed somewhere along the line.

Sooo, does anyone (BTO, Pdogg, or others) think its possible that Tyndall is in this guys ear telling him he can walk into the starting PG spot this year? At this point he could load up on courses this summer and make it happen. I am not saying its likely, I just thinking this possibility had to a least be discussed somewhere along the line.

No, Miller has already signed things or enrolled which will keep that from being a possibility, and Tyndall is fully aware of that.

No, Miller has already signed things or enrolled which will keep that from being a possibility, and Tyndall is fully aware of that.

Probably right, but I'm pretty sure NCAA doesn't recognize NJCAA LOIs and vice versa.

Whatever the case, seems like the kid is committed to 2015.

Probably right, but I'm pretty sure NCAA doesn't recognize NJCAA LOIs and vice versa.

Whatever the case, seems like the kid is committed to 2015.

I'm not sure what it is, but there's something that now has him bound to 2015, maybe enrolling in classes already? Idk

Two years ago Dequon Miller had a decision to make. Was he going to be just another former high school basketball player who didn't live up to his potential, or was he going to use his talent on the court to get an education and create opportunities for his future?

Miller chose option two, and Motlow College and its basketball family are glad he did.

When Matt Sligh was named head men's basketball coach at Motlow College in July 2013, he inherited a program that had won the Tennessee Community College Athletic Association championship the previous season. With no players returning from that championship team, his first order of business was to build a roster.

His first recruit was Miller, a point guard who had averaged 28 points and eight assists per game in prep school.

My Motlow Story - Dequon Miller My Motlow Story

Stats last year:
http://www.motlowsports.com/2013-14/2013-14MenHoopFinalStats.pdf

At this point he could load up on courses this summer and make it happen.

No need since he was ruled a qualifier, but it sounds like he's committed to playing another year at Motlow.

He went through some issues with his initial eligibility before he was eventually ruled a qualifier out of high school. That leaves Miller with the option of staying at Motlow for another year or signing with a Division I school in the late signing period and playing three seasons at the Division I level.
UNT in the hunt for JC point guard Dequon Miller | Mean Green Blog

"We both thought this would be his only year with us but the NCAA has not cleared him for eligibility at this time," said Sligh. "There are several processes that a player must do in order to be cleared, and unfortunately those have not gone as smoothly as we all hoped. That being said, Dequon has handled the situation well and is looking forward to his sophomore season at Motlow."

@MrIrrelevant_0: Headed to University of Tenn Wednesday on a unofficial can't wait to get my 5 officials in August. Vol Fans what's up?

VN Store

Back