Guards everywhere

orangepeopleeater

With all the guards being recruited is Tyndall planning on playing small and fast or do you see him picking up a couple of big men to play the inside?

I mean a true big man ... I'm 6'8" and I wouldn't consider myself a true PF or C. They would make better SF with the height and size.

Reactions: 1 person
The days of the big 4 and 5 on the floor together banging are leaving Rocky Top. The system he runs needs guys who can run the floor with our guards. With that said you always need some big bodies. I expect him to sign another post player.

You don't pass on a top 50 player even if you have too many guards. Just stand ready he is going to announce some big help. Tyndall has got it covered......GO VOLS

Reactions: 2 people
We have played with a 6'8 center and 6'6 PF for the past 3 years. We are going to see more athletic and longer "bigs" now. They'll have to be able to run the floor and most will be playing above the rim. The Bruise Bro's days are through now. I'll miss them but that era is through now.

You probably are unlikely to see the traditional 6-10 to 7-0, 270-280 lb center in this system. All five guys have to be able to run the floor. Only the most athletic 6-10, 270 guys can do that, and you'd be fighting every NCAA team in America to land those guys.

Hes going to get one to two more guards the....two tk three more big men or big forwards.....that can block shots make shoots and run the floor with the ability to jump

I mean a true big man ... I'm 6'8" and I wouldn't consider myself a true PF or C. They would make better SF with the height and size.

How tall was Faried? Granted, he is an athletic freak and an anomaly of sorts, but I believe he plays mostly 4, but probably wouldn't be considered a 'true PF'.

With this type of system, don't you think long and lean bigs are really what we could/should expect?

If by true center you mean 7' 280lbs, no you'll likely never see that in Tyndall's system.

He wants long, athletic guys that can run and jump, his ideal center is probably 6'10" 230

With all the guards being recruited is Tyndall planning on playing small and fast or do you see him picking up a couple of big men to play the inside?

Also, what did you mean "all the guards being receutd by Tyndall"?

He's signed 3 guys, 2 are guards and 1 is a forward. He has 2 guys scheduled to OV next weekend, both of them would fall under the category of bigs and not guards.

One thing I have learned is you can find great athletic big men like the Gasol brothers. The problem is they are mostly outside the states.

I just hope we get some above the rim players.

We just got a commitment from a 6' 3" guard that "lives" above the rim. He jumps three 6' 10" guys simultaneously just for fun before he throws it down. He needs a cape and a phone booth imo. Moore also has nasty hops.

Reactions: 4 people
We just got a commitment from a 6' 3" guard that "lives" above the rim. He jumps three 6' 10" guys simultaneously just for fun before he throws it down. He needs a cape and a phone booth imo. Moore also has nasty hops.

If we add Cofer and Owens to Mostella and Magee, I want a midnight madness to see these guys show out. That's 4 really good leapers.

Regardless of the system that we will run, there aren't many true big men in the college game these days. The game has changed with more floor spacing, and there aren't nearly as many true post players. You don't need a 6'10+" center anymore to succeed. Last year, Stokes was our tallest starter at 6'8", and many believed that we had a very talented team to make a run.

If you look at this year's Final Four teams, Frank Kaminsky and maybe Brimah from UConn were the only real players over 6"10" that contributed in the NCAAT. Still, Brimah only averaged 16 minutes and 4 points a game all year. UK lost Cauley-Stein for most of the NCAAT on their run, and you could maybe throw Dakari Johnson in there, but he didn't produce a whole lot. Florida's frontline were all under 6'10."

Just get several 6'6"-6'9" long, athletic players, and you can succeed. The NBA is paying alot of money to people just for being tall. JMO.

One thing I have learned is you can find great athletic big men like the Gasol brothers. The problem is they are mostly outside the states.

Marc Gasol doesn't grow on trees. Lol. He is truly a special big man. Pau is really a PF in the NBA because he isn't as thick. Marc will get a max contract next year for a reason.

I feel like if we had CDT when we hire CCM the first time we could have not only landed Hubbs last year but, also JW3 and Jajuan Johnson. For his system they would have been nasty. Just wrap your mind around that for a while.

I feel like if we had CDT when we hire CCM the first time we could have not only landed Hubbs last year but, also JW3 and Jajuan Johnson. For his system they would have been nasty. Just wrap your mind around that for a while.

Good points. The game has changed on Rocky Top. Let's enjoy the ride
I really like JW3's skill set

VN Store

Back