Current State of the Program

jknox33

Here is what we have, what we've lost and what we've gained so far. Note, these are just scholarship players.

Lost:
Coach Martin and staff
PG- Barton, Thompson, Austin
SG- McRae, Cornish
SF- Edwards, Chievous
PF- Stokes, Maymon, Davis, Cofer
C- Turman

Holdovers:
SG- Hubbs
SF- Richardson, Moore
PF- Reese
C- Pops

Gained:
Coach Tyndall and staff
SG- Punter
PF- McGhee

Potential additions (guys we can potentially see signing soon):
PG- Chiles, Suarez
PF- Cofer, Carmichael, Owens
C- Ellis

I'd expect our potential additions of PGs to grow as well as SGs. This is going to be a completely different team. With Hubbs still contemplating his decision and Pops knowing he can't run in this system, we may see more attrition. The potential additions are all solid pick ups at this stage of the game.

Really it is going to be about finding grad transfers and solid JUCOs at this point because you don't want to have too many sitting transfers or lower-tier freshman filling up the roster. There seems to be a mix of fear and excitement on the board with how all this will go down. It will be interesting to watch and see. We have our work cut out for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Hang on. Give it a minute or two. A couple of VolNation's finest will be here to tell us all how it will play out. That is, if they can figure out which side of the fence they want to get on.

Hang on. Give it a minute or two. A couple of VolNation's finest will be here to tell us all how it will play out. That is, if they can figure out which side of the fence they want to get on.

You know them all to well. :birgits_giggle:

If someone is a young Nostradamus and knows how this will all play out, I hope they tell me it is going to be fine and we will exceed expectations. What I thought was astonishing was just looking at the sheer amount of losses on paper with graduates, Draftee, and former signees.

Tyndall is gonna have to hit the ground recruiting even harder than before. It would have been one thing if all the defections came the first week. It puts him further behind the 8-ball the longer the attrition plays out and guys come off the board and sign elsewhere.

I usually don't look forward to the off season between the end of basketball and the start of football.
I'm enjoying this one and it's going to get even more entertaining.
Will Donnie pull it off? who knows, but it sure is dramatic.
Best off season show in 3 plus years.

Reactions: 1 person
If someone is a young Nostradamus and knows how this will all play out, I hope they tell me it is going to be fine and we will exceed expectations. What I thought was astonishing was just looking at the sheer amount of losses on paper with graduates, Draftee, and former signees.

Tyndall is gonna have to hit the ground recruiting even harder than before. It would have been one thing if all the defections came the first week. It puts him further behind the 8-ball the longer the attrition plays out and guys come off the board and sign elsewhere.

I'm sure he's been in on others that we haven't heard for a back up plan. I'm sure he knew kind of an estimate that he would lose about 1-3 current players along with 3-4 maybe all four of Martin's signese. I'll say this again I said it in another thread, but I'm more excited about our basketball future than I have been in a while. Up here in Lexington I don't have people asking me who UT's coach is because the UK fans know him from when he was at Morehead since it's only 30 min or so away. They said we got a huge upgrade and love CDT because he knocked off Louisville a few years back. We'll be alright.

I do not remember this much turnover when BP or CM came to UT. Is this change in coaching style that big of a change that it would cause all of these athletes to leave?

So just combining the names from the original post, this could be our roster for next year:

PG- Chiles, Suarez
SG- Hubbs, Punter
SF- Richardson, Moore
PF- Reese, Cofer, Carmichael, Owens, McGhee
C- Pops, Ellis

I do not remember this much turnover when BP or CM came to UT. Is this change in coaching style that big of a change that it would cause all of these athletes to leave?
AJ said it.
It's more about personalities than anything.

So just combining the names from the original post, this could be our roster for next year:

PG- Chiles, Suarez
SG- Hubbs, Punter
SF- Richardson, Moore
C- Pops, Ellis

Optimistically.

PG- Chiles, Suarez
SG- Hubbs, Punter
SF- Richardson, Moore
C- Pops, Ellis

Sounds more like this

PG: Chiles
SG: Punter
SF: Richardson
PF: Moore
C: Smokey

JMO, it is a mixture of a lot of things. One is that typically in coaching changes at UT, you get the exact polar opposite of what you had before. The styles are extremely different between CCM and CDT. Another is that CCM had the team truly believing in the "family" aspect and it was them against the world (mainly their own fan base). So in other words, you mess with a member of the family, you mess with the whole family. The team cared deeply for CCM just as he cared for them. I know some of the players read these boards and they still see their "family member" being trashed. They felt just as under appreciated as CCM during the season and now it is a different environment with the majority of the "family" being gone.

CDT will have it pointed in the right direction shortly. CM left a mess and the new staff will have to pick up the pieces and make the best of it this year. As CDT has shown with the last couple OV's, he can sell UT and the recruits are buying what he is selling. Better days ahead IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
JMO, it is a mixture of a lot of things. One is that typically in coaching changes at UT, you get the exact polar opposite of what you had before. The styles are extremely different between CCM and CDT. Another is that CCM had the team truly believing in the "family" aspect and it was them against the world (mainly their own fan base). So in other words, you mess with a member of the family, you mess with the whole family. The team cared deeply for CCM just as he cared for them. I know some of the players read these boards and they still see their "family member" being trashed. They felt just as under appreciated as CCM during the season and now it is a different environment with the majority of the "family" being gone.

Solid post.

Very insightful.

Still on the transfer list.
And then there's Reese. Unphased and out doing community work.

I was just pointing out he wasn't in the original post nor brought up by anyone in the 10 or so first responses.

Tennessean, "Hubbs countered reports that speculated he has also asked for his release.
The shooting guard who was the gem of UT's freshman class before a left shoulder injury cut his season short said he has not yet made up his mind. "As of right now, I'm still a Tennessee Vol," Hubbs said. "I'm weighing my options with my family. I'm going to decide what is the best option for me." "It's tough," Hubbs said about the seemingly certain departure of Thompson and Davis. "We are all real close. But they have to do what's best for them."

I was just pointing out he wasn't in the original post nor brought up by anyone in the 10 or so first responses.

What would his situation be?
would he have to recommit?
Would he have to get an offer?

VN Store

Back