'15 TX PG Juwan Evans

@JustinDYoung: #Gibbons MVP Juwan Evans tells me he's talking the most to John Groce, Donnie Tyndall, Brad Brownell, Andy Enfield, Baylor & TX.

Shun Williams ‏@OntheRadarHoops 7m
Jawun Evans has cut his list down to 8 Clemson, Illinois, Southern Cal, Va Tech, Tenn, Texas, Oklahoma State and Cincinnati

Hmmm, I wonder how much CDT making it to the tournament this season would help us here.

We will definitely be able to sell major minutes at the PG spot again next year due to the grad transfer approach. Hopefully that helps us out here. Never easy to beat Texas for in-state guys, but it looks like they may not have offered him yet.

We will definitely be able to sell major minutes at the PG spot again next year due to the grad transfer approach. Hopefully that helps us out here. Never easy to beat Texas for in-state guys, but it looks like they may not have offered him yet.

I dont think he is as high on their board as some others they are montering. Also they want to see how Texas does next year and if Barnes will make it through

BnuSs7nIEAANLTk.jpg

Reactions: 15 people
Point guard Jawun Evans from Dallas is a really nice player, says Vols are in his top 8 and the new staff has been aggressively coming after him. He is originally from South Carolina and only moved to Texas last fall, so the distance isn't as big of a deal as it might appear on the surface.

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
New head coach Donnie Tyndall and his staff have worked overtime in the first month on the job, add eight new players to the Vols' roster. That doesn't' mean that the 2015 Class is lacking for attention though, as players like Texas point guard prospect Jawun Evans have already emerged as serious targets for the Volunteers.

Rivals.com rates Evans as the No. 45 overall player in the nation.

Evans (6-0, 165 pounds), from Kimball H.S. in Dallas, Tex. has drawn some major attention this spring with his play for Team Texas Elite on the NIKE EYBL circuit. The No. 45 overall ranked player in the nation, Evans is looking to establish himself as one of the top point guard prospects in the country this summer.

A diminutive guard with exceptional quickness, Evans is at his best in a fast-paced game where his speed and quickness with the ball in his hands open up the floor for both he and his teammates.

It's the kind of high octane playing style that Tyndall and his staff have made clear to Evans they'd love to welcome to Knoxville.

"I really didn't know anything about the coaches there until they started calling me a few weeks ago," Evans said of Tennessee's interest. "They've been in touch a lot, I talk with coach (Adam) Howard and some of the others and they've just really let me know that they're interested in having me there and want me to come for a visit."

Evans is originally from South Carolina, where he still has family, and only moved to Texas last summer. Given that, the distance factor from Dallas-to-Knoxville probably isn't as great of an obstacle as it appears on the surface.

Despite his size, Evans is a fearless penetrator, able to find creases and openings that would disappear before many ball-handlers could get there. Once in the paint, he's equally accomplished at setting up teammates for easy buckets or finishing on his own where his excellent body control is apparent.

The Vols haven't had a long time to build a relationship with Evans but they've used that time well. Evans released a list of his eight finalists last week, and despite just having a few weeks to make their case, Tennessee was one of the teams to make the cut.

Texas, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, Clemson, Illinois, USC and Virginia Tech, along with Tennessee, comprise the eight schools Evans said he is considering.

For Tyndall and his staff to just make that list is impressive. Closing the deal on Evans though, a highly-ranked, out-of-state prospect, would be a serious signal about this staff's recruiting acumen.

"From what I know about Tennessee right now, from talking with the coaches, it seems like a real good situation for a point guard," Evans said. "I know they're kind of putting the roster together after getting there and they got a few transfers and different guys.

"Playing time is important to me, so I like the fact that it seems like a good opportunity there.

"I don't have any favorites from that group of eight right now though, all those schools are kind of standing out equally. I'm going to try and make a couple of visits this summer and narrow things down."

Evans conceded that Tennessee had a 'good chance' of receiving an official visit in the fall, but that nothing had been decided in that regard yet.

He does have a clear vision of what he's looking for in a college program though.

"The first thing is the coaching staff, having a great relationship with them, having that trust, that's the biggest thing I'm looking for," Evans offered. "Playing style, finding somewhere that I think really fits my game is important, but that's also part of finding the right coaches that you believe in and that believe in you."

-VQ

Reactions: 1 person
We are due for a high-profile PG. Don't know what it is about UT and PGs, but it'd be nice if they'd start to get along.

We are due for a high-profile PG. Don't know what it is about UT and PGs, but it'd be nice if they'd start to get along.

I think part of the problem is that Tennessee hasn't had a coach who values the point guard in a long time, maybe since Mears and DeVoe, two coaches who had really good point guards.

Pearl's offense didn't value a PG, Cuonzo's basically had the guy bring the ball down and go to the corner. Buzz, who knows with him. Jerry had Tony Harris, and recruited Harris Walker, so he seemed to value the position.

By contrast, Calipari makes a big deal out of recruiting a true PG every year. He focuses his offense on making the PG a trigger man.

We'll see what kind of value Tyndall places on the position. You have to want PGs and feature them to get good ones.

VN Store

Back