'14 JUCO PG Rasham Suarez

CAVol

Another So. Miss commit. Many expect that he will end up a Vol when it's all said and done. Solid JUCO player with 2 years of eligibility.

Rasham Suarez

Not a very exciting offer list. Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Southern Miss. If no other SEC team would offer him, why should we?

I see where you are coming from. However, one thing we have to keep in mind is a JUCO prospect in basketball usually does not draw the frenzy they do in football. JUCO kids are what mid-majors build their programs around and you are going to see less major programs in the bidding. Power schools have a better chance with high profile freshmen.

Three more years till we are decent at basketball again. Two more for football. Sigh

Tyndall has been afforded the luxury of a redo in this class. He will be able to try and keep the cream of the class (Cofer) and recruit over the others who went elsewhere with transfers and JUCOs who will be more mature, physically stronger, and more ready to play on the D1 level than 18 year old freshmen.

Reactions: 2 people
Reactions: 1 person
Not a very exciting offer list. Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Southern Miss. If no other SEC team would offer him, why should we?

That doesn't mean anything sometimes. He is a good player. I hope going forward we get higher rated players. This year he is a good pick up after losing all our recruits.

He will slow down on the shot attempts at Tennessee, he was forced to be the guy on his JUCO team a lot of times and had to hoist shots he wouldn't here. He led his team to the njcaa title last year were he went against Chris Jones (Louisville/Memphis) and got the best of him.

At worst he's a guy that comes in here and gives us a legitimate backup PG, there's a reason Tyndall backed off on Ronnie Johnson.

Suarez has followed a more circuitous route than I've ever seen for a college basketball prospect:

* 2007: born & raised in Puerto Rico, he moved to Iowa and played as a freshman at Iowa City West HS in 2007/08

* 2008: transferred to Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nevada, where he played as a sophomore

* summer 2009: transferred to Gatlinburg-Pittman HS (TN) and played in the Pilot Rocky Top High School Fall League

* fall 2009: transferred again to Jonesboro HS in Georgia, where he played as a junior & senior

* Nov. 2010: signed with Georgia Southern

* 2011/12: attended prep school Faith Baptist Academy in Brandon, FL

* Nov. 2011: signed again with Georgia Southern

* 2012: enrolled at College of Central Florida where he was a 2-year starter

* Nov. 2013: signed with Southern Miss

What Tyndall had to say about Suarez when he signed with USM...

“Rasham is a proven winner. He’s won a high school state title, a prep school national title and he won a national championship last year in junior college. In my opinion, he’s the best point guard in all of junior college. He’s a guy who is tough. He has great size for the point guard position. He can shoot it, he can go to the foul line. But, most importantly, Rasham is a guy who is about winning. He’s my type of guy.”

Reactions: 2 people
We need a guy who can penetrate the defense and get the ball into the hands of the scorers.

It has been a long time since we have had someone average 6 assists a game. Watson?

He never did either, 5.5apg was the closest he got for a season average. With that said I wouldnt expect Suarez's numbers stay the same going from JUCO to SEC.

He averaged like 6apg, seems like a solid distributor.

It has been a long time since we have had someone average 6 assists a game. Watson?

He never did either, 5.5apg was the closest he got for a season average. With that said I wouldnt expect Suarez's numbers stay the same going from JUCO to SEC.

Yeah competition tougher step up. And the guys he will be passing to won't exactly be known consistent scorers.

VN Store

Back