Riddle me this, was White ever offered?

SeniorDrill

Gary Parrish, CBS Sports
"But a source told CBSSports.com that, after speaking with Tennessee officials and receiving an informal offer, White is opting to stay at Louisiana Tech, where his current contract gives him more longterm security than Tennessee seemed willing to provide."

RUSTON – Louisiana Tech University and head men’s basketball coach Michael White have agreed in principle to a six-year, $3.6 million contract extension, according to Athletics Director Tommy McClelland.

Tyndall agreed to a six-year contract worth $1.6 million per year to replace Cuonzo Martin, who went 63-41 in three seasons at Tennessee before California hired him on April 15.

According to Tyndall yea, white was offered, but ultimately it doesn't really matter. Tyndall is the coach, I think it might very well be for the best, and GBO!

Reactions: 6 people
Gary Parrish, CBS Sports
"But a source told CBSSports.com that, after speaking with Tennessee officials and receiving an informal offer, White is opting to stay at Louisiana Tech, where his current contract gives him more longterm security than Tennessee seemed willing to provide."

RUSTON – Louisiana Tech University and head men’s basketball coach Michael White have agreed in principle to a six-year, $3.6 million contract extension, according to Athletics Director Tommy McClelland.

Tyndall agreed to a six-year contract worth $1.6 million per year to replace Cuonzo Martin, who went 63-41 in three seasons at Tennessee before California hired him on April 15.

The job would have been White's if the contract had been agreeable. He wanted to coach here, just not for what we wanted the buy-out to be from all that was reported.

I suspect Hart gave he and Tyndall close to even grades and opted to try and hire what he thought would be the less expensive guy first. I guess White wanted more than Hart thought he was worth and moved on to his other candidate.

Gary Parrish, CBS Sports

White and Tyndall are both really good coaches and I think both would've been successful at UT. However, reports are they were offered essentially the same contract. The difference is that Tyndall took it, and White didn't. Tyndall wanted to be here and wanted to be a "Val" more than White did. I think a few years down the road we will look back and realize this worked out in the best interest of all parties involved (unless of course White ends up going to Ole Miss next year :) ).

Gary Parrish, CBS Sports

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but who cares? Tyndall is our coach, and we need to support him. White is at Tech, hope he is happy there. Go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
I guess I just wondered why anyone would turn down an $8 million dollar contract at UT for a $3.6 million contract at La Tech for the same amount of time. Doesn't pass the smell test to me. If somebody is that dumb, we sure don't want them for a basketball coach!:D

Reactions: 5 people
I guess I just wondered why anyone would turn down an $8 million dollar contract at UT for a $3.6 million contract at La Tech for the same amount of time. Doesn't pass the smell test to me. If somebody is that dumb, we sure don't want them for a basketball coach!:D

My personal opinion is that the money was not the problem for White but he wanted a lower buyout (as I believe a lot on this board has said) so he could leave in case Ole Miss came a calling... or another "better" job came along. I don't think he planned on staying at UT. Which would have put UT in a worse position looking for yet another coach in a year or two.

I think we would have had Martin 2.0 in that White really did not want to be here.

Reactions: 3 people
Michael White wanted to be the next UT head coach as long as it was economically feasible for him to jet to Ole Miss in the next couple years.

Reactions: 3 people
Michael White wanted to be the next UT head coach as long as it was economically feasible for him to jet to Ole Miss in the next couple years.

No, the buy out he was seeking would not allow him to leave without paying a substantial penalty. I think much of his negotiating was done to posture and position himself for bigger jobs in the future.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but who cares? Tyndall is our coach, and we need to support him. White is at Tech, hope he is happy there. Go Vols!

It's a legitimate question, and some people like to know what really happened behind the scenes. No need to crap on his thread. We have enough of that on VN now anyway.

Gary Parrish, CBS Sports

I find a lot of that hard to believe.
First, that he turned down UT to make 600k per year? He would have been making at least twice that at UT.
The buyout offered to Tyndall was very competitive to the market.
I think the buy out issues may have been more related to preventive measure of him potentially taking the Ole Miss job down the road. I think there was a tentative offer. If this, then this, but I don't think it was a formal offer.

Because this is more like we have to offer someone...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qCcSQPh2Bc

So it wasn't to lower the buyout? Does anyone even know what the buyout was that was offered? He couldn't have wanted more than what Tyndall's buyout was.

He did. Hart said that the same buyout format Tyndall accepted was the one offered to White, he wanted a higher buyout in years 4&5.

I honestly think there was more to it. Like a package deal that never happened. The brother was an AD assistant. If Hart offered to hire his brother I would think White would take the offer.

It's a legitimate question, and some people like to know what really happened behind the scenes. No need to crap on his thread. We have enough of that on VN now anyway.

I specifically stated that I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I wasn't trying to "crap on his thread" either. I was just stating that I wish we could move on from the past, the unknown in the latest search, and just focus on the present and the future. JMO.

VN Store

Back