A Closer Look at Tyndall's Schemes

Tux

Contrary to what some fans have thought, Tyndall's system will not be a run and gun system. Rather, it will be a hi-low offense highlighted by the dribble drive and hammering the boards.

Advanced statistics provide preview of new Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall’s system
Martin’s three teams played aggressively at times; their run to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament was a good example of that. But slow starts to each of Martin’s three seasons were often characterized by head-scratching losses to teams that didn’t have nearly as much talent. The Vols, it appeared, let inferior teams take the fight to them.

That isn’t likely happen in the Tyndall era.

“Good coaches get teams to play hard,” said Kyle Turnham, a former junior college coach and now Middle Tennessee State’s radio color analyst who got to know Tyndall when he was an assistant there. “Donnie gets teams to play hard at a completely different level. They play defense like crazy and go to the offensive boards with reckless abandon.

“Those cats [the Vols] haven’t seen hard. They have no idea how hard he’s gonna make them work.”
I'm anxious to see his defense.
“His defense is really unique, in that it’s a zone that forces a lot of turnovers,” Pomeroy said. “Opponents don’t get into the lane that often, but when they do, the result is usually a foul or a turnover. This is a bit of a contrast to Cuonzo in particular, who liked to take the three-pointer and forced a lot of mid-range twos without forcing steals.”

Reactions: 7 people
Im from Indiana, it was always obivious to me CCM was running the Gene Keady style of BB offense and defense...the problem was CGK would get in your shorts if you wasnt playing hard, where as CCM is too nice to really push the players. It was my read why they lost so much in the early part of the schedule and won just enough to make it to the next level.

It was a nice run, Stokes was never coming back unless he was un-draftable. You could tell he took the signing of the remove CCM too personal, in some interviews would mention he didnt like it...but would stop at that...you could tell there was more he would like to say but didnt. So to test this lets see if he is a VFL or not...time will tell if im right or wrong.

If all of the info about style of play is true, I think CDT will be a bigger rock star in Knoxville than Peral ever thought was possible. Go Donnie Knoxville..

Reactions: 2 people
so we are going to press/trap after made baskets, get some steals and back it out so we can run a hi/lo offense then dribble drive? I thought for sure we'd try to get teams out of their comfort zone with the press, take the ball and attack the rim, as well as push it down the court after rebounds when possible, prior to sending picks to the pg and running the offense.
So much is made about tempo and pace, and I don't agree with most of the opinions about it based on stats. jmo. I think those folk need to watch more games and stare at sheets less.

Good stuff to know. Another thing I like about Donnie is that his support staff seems much more capable than Cuonzo's. That means he won't have to do all the heavy lifting.

Good stuff to know. Another thing I like about Donnie is that his support staff seems much more capable than Cuonzo's. That means he won't have to do all the heavy lifting.

either Martin's assts didn't help him much, or he didn't listen, or a little of both. The game is no place for pride. Look at the Grizzlies the other night. They were down, changed to a crazy lineup with limited skill vs OKC, but it was a gut call and they came back. Just blew it at the end. If they would've stuck w/Zbo, which wasn't working, they wouldn't have been in position to blow the 5 pt lead late.

Im from Indiana, it was always obivious to me CCM was running the Gene Keady style of BB offense and defense...the problem was CGK would get in your shorts if you wasnt playing hard, where as CCM is too nice to really push the players. It was my read why they lost so much in the early part of the schedule and won just enough to make it to the next level.

It was a nice run, Stokes was never coming back unless he was un-draftable. You could tell he took the signing of the remove CCM too personal, in some interviews would mention he didnt like it...but would stop at that...you could tell there was more he would like to say but didnt. So to test this lets see if he is a VFL or not...time will tell if im right or wrong.

If all of the info about style of play is true, I think CDT will be a bigger rock star in Knoxville than Peral ever thought was possible. Go Donnie Knoxville..

It took Bernard King 30 yrs before he came back to Knoxville. Whether Stokes is a VFL or not he gave his all in getting the Vols to the Sweet16. Sometimes as fans we fail to understand the relationship kids have to their Coach. The Coach can be that extended parent especially when they are many miles from home. I enjoyed watching this young man progress in his 2.5 yrs.

Reactions: 3 people
so we are going to press/trap after made baskets, get some steals and back it out so we can run a hi/lo offense then dribble drive? I thought for sure we'd try to get teams out of their comfort zone with the press, take the ball and attack the rim, as well as push it down the court after rebounds when possible, prior to sending picks to the pg and running the offense.
So much is made about tempo and pace, and I don't agree with most of the opinions about it based on stats. jmo. I think those folk need to watch more games and stare at sheets less.
This is exactly how CDT said his teams would play, and if the opportunity to push wasn't there, they would run an offense with lots of hi / low screening like Kansas to get the guards driving opportunities. He has never once indicated his style is "40 minutes of hell" like Nolan Richardson's Arkansas teams. Lot's of people seem to be adding their own spin to what he actually said.

Reactions: 4 people
This is exactly how CDT said his teams would play, and if the opportunity to push wasn't there, they would run an offense with lots of hi / low screening like Kansas to get the guards driving opportunities. He has never once indicated his style is "40 minutes of hell" like Nolan Richardson's Arkansas teams. Lot's of people seem to be adding their own spin to what he actually said.

good points. I think a big part of it is people also look at those damn stats about pace and tempo and form an uninformed opinion on how a team plays. A team that presses after made baskets isn't a team that is walking around on offense and defense controlling a slow tempo'd game. Quite the opposite. What's silly is team's may slowly break the press and use shot clock, but that equates in statistics to the team playing a slow pace, which is inaccurate

Reactions: 1 person
either Martin's assts didn't help him much, or he didn't listen, or a little of both. The game is no place for pride. Look at the Grizzlies the other night. They were down, changed to a crazy lineup with limited skill vs OKC, but it was a gut call and they came back. Just blew it at the end. If they would've stuck w/Zbo, which wasn't working, they wouldn't have been in position to blow the 5 pt lead late.

Good thing they did blow it :)

good points. I think a big part of it is people also look at those damn stats about pace and tempo and form an uninformed opinion on how a team plays. A team that presses after made baskets isn't a team that is walking around on offense and defense controlling a slow tempo'd game. Quite the opposite. What's silly is team's may slowly break the press and use shot clock, but that equates in statistics to the team playing a slow pace, which is inaccurate

I think the stat guys are getting way too caught up in the technical statistical definition of tempo. What I'm excited about it watching a team that plays a higher energy brand of ball. There will be full court pressure defense. There will be lots of movement and screening on offense. I couldn't care less where we fall in the tempo stat rankings. As long as we're playing well coached ball with a lot of energy it'll be a lot more fun to watch and we'll win some games.

I think the stat guys are getting way too caught up in the technical statistical definition of tempo. What I'm excited about it watching a team that plays a higher energy brand of ball. There will be full court pressure defense. There will be lots of movement and screening on offense. I couldn't care less where we fall in the tempo stat rankings. As long as we're playing well coached ball with a lot of energy it'll be a lot more fun to watch and we'll win some games.

exactly. Are we walking around and on our heels or are we taking it to our opponent and moving/attacking on offense rather than standing and staring. That's tempo to me and always will be. Don't care about another version.

A lot of people confused pressing on defense with playing a run and gun style of play. A full court press is not only used to try and make steals, but also to delay getting the ball into the front court so the opposing team has less time to get into the their offense.

With Donnie Basketball's plans to use a match-up zone, the use of a full court press will stop the opposing team from breaking down the zone easily because they will not have time to do so very often.

A lot of people confused pressing on defense with playing a run and gun style of play. A full court press is not only used to try and make steals, but also to delay getting the ball into the front court so the opposing team has less time to get into the their offense.

With Donnie Basketball's plans to use a match-up zone, the use of a full court press will stop the opposing team from breaking down the zone easily because they will not have time to do so very often.

Exactly. Just like Florida last year but more zone instead of man in the half court d. They only scored 69.9 points last year but won big.

you finally make a valid point. It does delay getting the ball across. It does make the opposition back it out and set up their halfcourt O. It does force teams to take shots late in the clock because of the time it has taken.
However, all of that mentioned translates to you guys claiming something about offensive tempo and it has nothing to do with it, except taking more time off the clock, which in turn decreases possessions.
Your tempo stat about this offense is really about the defense and forcing teams to use clock if they do break the press.
Not a person here thinks this team is run and gun. Most here know that pressing after made baskets is aggressive and realize trying to run a break off defensive rebounds is the tempo we like. We aren't going to get the ball out of the net and run and nobody has said we would.

VN Store

Back