Year Zero?

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
Basically, Donnie Knoxville is already a recruiting class down and Richardson the only guaranteed starter on next year's roster. The fact that we have to play at least four more guys at any one time is just window dressing right now. Cuonzo left the cupboard bare and is a big reason he's in sunny NoCal right now.

Should we at Volnation simply declare early that this is Year Zero for Donnie Knoxville? Might even be more justified than Dooley's Year 0.

We at Volnation should either declare for the draft or dig in and get ready for the Somme 2014 and just know what's coming.

Reactions: 1 person
It's more likely to be be cloudy, overcast, or raining in NoCal. SoCal keeps the sun to themselves

But let's wait to see what players he can bring in before writing off the season. Sure we are starting over and there will be a bumpy road ahead, so year zero may not be far fetched. On the other hand I truly believe coach T will make a splash his first year and get us into the tournament

Wait a thread started by you that failed to criticize Dave Hart or call him by that absolutely not funny or accurate nickname you have for him. Are you feeling ok?

Coach T camewent into his second season at Morehead State, returned only four players, was picked to finish 10th in the conference, recruited two All-American freshmen, and won 27 games. Any more questions about recruiting?

Coach T camewent into his second season at Morehead State, returned only four players, was picked to finish 10th in the conference, recruited two All-American freshmen, and won 27 games. Any more questions about recruiting?

You may wanna do a few fact checks on this post and then re-post it

He's probably already got the issue pretty well handled. Just need to retain the current roster and add 3 solid players. Add at a big, a SG and a PG that can contribute some good minutes next season. Get the right ones and they could be dancing again. If they retain the roster they have some really good players in Richardson and Thompson coming back. It is likely that Hubbs, Moore, Davis and Reese will take big steps forward next season as well. Add in a style of play that will make it tough on opponents to prepare against in the first season using it.

You may wanna do a few fact checks on this post and then re-post it
Didn't think he could do a turnaround like that at two schools? He only returned four when he took over Southern Miss. Look at what I was looking at? He won 20 in 2007-08 and 27 when he took over his first year at Southern Miss. Oh, well, this is totally new. He is AWESOME, folks!

2007-08
"Tyndall would once again flip his roster returning only four players from the previous year's roster but brought in a talented freshman class that would include two All-American's in Kenneth Faried and Demonte Harper. Morehead State was picked to finish towards the bottom of the OVC as they were selected 10th in the preseason. The Eagles struggled to start the year as they stood at 2-6 and 0-2 in the OVC in mid-December. MSU would even up its conference record with a pair of home wins against Tennessee-Martin and Eastern Illinois before traveling to Louisvile the day after Christmas. After a 73-49 defeat by the Cardinals, Morehead State would wrap up its three game road trip with a pair of losses at Tennessee State and Tennessee Tech. The Eagles would go on to win 12 of its next 15 games to get its record above .500 at 15-13 and more importantly 12-7 in the OVC. Morehead State would close out the regular season with a 72-56 home loss to Austin Peay and finished third in the OVC at 12-8. The Eagles would hosted Tennessee State in the first round of the OVC Tournament, the first home OVC Tournament game for MSU since the 2003-04 season. It would be the second time in a week these two schools faced off in Morehead, Ky. The previous Thursday the Eagles came back from a 22-point second half deficit to score the 84-76 victory of Tennessee State. Just like in the previous matchup Morehead State found itself down early but this time was unable to comeback and suffered a 68-61 season ending loss.
Tyndall would be voted as the OVC Coach of the Year.

Basketball is different than football.

In basketball, you can sign a couple of studs and win 20 games.

Easier to reload in basketball.

Plus, Hubbs and the PG from Murfreesboro are both good. So, we have at least 3-4 players.

Sorry but i am probably one of the more pro-coach(not Tyndall just in General) fans and i still dont believe in year 0. I still want a decent year

14-15 could be a tough year with the current roster and the recruiting class jumping ship. CCM also knew that next season would be bad here for him. I think that CDT will find a way to strengthen the roster and win a good number of games. He just won't let you beat him, he has a winner's heart. I would have liked playing for him.....it's just 55 years to late...oh well...Go Vols

Basketball is different than football.

In basketball, you can sign a couple of studs and win 20 games.

Easier to reload in basketball.

Plus, Hubbs and the PG from Murfreesboro are both good. So, we have at least 3-4 players.

Richardson, Hubbs, Thompson, Moore, Reese and Davis. In my mind, that's a good nucleus of athletic, 6'4" to 6'8" kids who fit Tyndall's style of play quite nicely. Add in a few of the studs that have been mentioned in here the last few days and I think we just might have something in 2014-15.

Jeesh. Got some real hummers on this board.
Let's wait at least 2 weeks and predict or start dreading next season.

If he is able to sign the right players we will be a very competitive team.

There are no right players this late in the year.

It looks like he intends to get the best players he can get from the JUCO ranks and from transfers to fill the roster next year.
Then in the next recruiting cycle, he will recruit his type of guys. So, next season, we will have JUCO's & transfers.

In 2015 - 2016, the transfers will be gone, but the JUCO's may still be around. He will bring in his freshmen to either play immediately in some cases and in some cases they will back up the JUCO's.

In 2016 - 2017, the players he brought in from the high school ranks will either be true freshmen or will be sophomores with a year of experience by backing up the JUCO's and getting some playing time. JUCO's are gone.

2017 - 2018, the full team will be D.T.'s recruits and his system and they will be freshmen, sophomores & juniors. That is when we should be a deadly team.

14-15 could be a tough year with the current roster and the recruiting class jumping ship. CCM also knew that next season would be bad here for him. I think that CDT will find a way to strengthen the roster and win a good number of games. He just won't let you beat him, he has a winner's heart. I would have liked playing for him.....it's just 55 years to late...oh well...Go Vols

I think that Martin suspected that next season would be bad but he wasn't positive that it would be bad.

(1) Had Stokes returned! Remember Martin, at one point didn't know 100% that Stokes would leave.

(2) Had Rhett transfered in, then Martin could fill Maymon's slot nicely.

(3) Hubbs was healthy next season.

Those three scenerios occur and 2014 - 2015 would be a nice team. So, Martin was not positive that a bad season was on the horizon.

What he was positive of was that he wasn't Tennessee's long term solution as the head coach, so he left when his stock was the highest he thought it would be.

It's more likely to be be cloudy, overcast, or raining in NoCal. SoCal keeps the sun to themselves

But let's wait to see what players he can bring in before writing off the season. Sure we are starting over and there will be a bumpy road ahead, so year zero may not be far fetched. On the other hand I truly believe coach T will make a splash his first year and get us into the tournament

The players he will likely sign will JUCO's, if he can get them to qualify in the late summer.

Some high school recruits that he was recruiting at Southern Miss.

Also, some transfers that approached us because they saw immediate playing time.

Basically, Donnie Knoxville is already a recruiting class down and Richardson the only guaranteed starter on next year's roster. The fact that we have to play at least four more guys at any one time is just window dressing right now. Cuonzo left the cupboard bare and is a big reason he's in sunny NoCal right now.

He didn't leave just because the talent is down...He left because he had a fanbase that was filled with negavols. I'll agree, he didn't do so well with talent this year. I didn't follow the recruits as much as I usually do, but iirc it was basically a bunch of 3 stars.

He didn't leave just because the talent is down...He left because he had a fanbase that was filled with negavols. I'll agree, he didn't do so well with talent this year. I didn't follow the recruits as much as I usually do, but iirc it was basically a bunch of 3 stars.

Man, this isn't high school. It's big boy business. Business you have no idea about yet. And you think a coach leaves because of message board people that make up 1% of a fanbase, vs looking at his stock and where it is headed in 2 years and cashing in while he can?

Man, this isn't high school. It's big boy business. Business you have no idea about yet. And you think a coach leaves because of message board people that make up 1% of a fanbase, vs looking at his stock and where it is headed in 2 years and cashing in while he can?

I didn't say anything about a message board. It was a lot more than simply fans on VN. The whole feel of the program was negative. Everyone was talking about him and underachieving with a talented team. I said I don't deny it had to do with talent, or the lack of it. Whether Martin, the program, or the players deny it, I definitely think it has to do with more than just what he thought of the program and where it was headed.

VN Store

Back