Chris Dorch on Tyndall filling this recruiting class...

NYC Vol

Chris Dortch ‏@cdortch 2h
Just a hunch, but I bet new TN coach Donnie Tyndall salvages a better recruiting class than the one he lost, even at this late date.

Reactions: 51 people
Very knowledgeable sports writer in the Know...not a homer, Chattanooga. Opinion is well respected.

Reactions: 3 people
we shall see. He kindof needs to now with what he's been saying and the expectations that have jumped with he and others talking. But that's how he rolls so lets see if he can shut some mouths early and get this thing on track. If he doesn't pull in @ 4 decent players with this class, he'll lose the confidence of some because of the expectations he set.

But frankly, I don't think CT gives a flip what he says and truly thinks he is going to get a good group of players. The issue will be how the new guys mesh with the old guys. Not sure how all that will work out and hope CT can help build that bridge.

Reactions: 2 people
we shall see. He kindof needs to now with what he's been saying and the expectations that have jumped with he and others talking. But that's how he rolls so lets see if he can shut some mouths early and get this thing on track. If he doesn't pull in @ 4 decent players with this class, he'll lose the confidence of some because of the expectations he set.

But frankly, I don't think CT gives a flip what he says and truly thinks he is going to get a good group of players. The issue will be how the new guys mesh with the old guys. Not sure how all that will work out and hope CT can help build that bridge.

Don't you think we probably will not know the answer to any of this until late Dec.

The first recruit CDT gets will either stir the nest or calm everybody's anxiety.

Some of the fan base will go one way on a recruit and the other part will go another.

Agree, If CDT is worried about what Chris Dortch says then we have the wrong coach at Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If that happened...would the Cuonzo Disciples pull a Heaven's Gate? :w00t:

who is chris dorch?

From Chattanooga, originally. Used to write for the Chattanooga Times many years ago. Now, for several years now, writes for "Blue Ribbon Yearbook", a preview magazine on college hoops. Contributes occasionally to ESPN on hoops. Very knowedgeable and respected basketball writer.

He is one of the very few people in the college hoops pundit world whose opinion is very much worthy of respect.

Reactions: 3 people
this is a year I wish the team was going on a trip together in the summer

I'm kind of glad a trip isn't wasted on this team this year to be honest with you.

I asked Dortch to clarify his comments, if the quality of Zo's class was poor or if he expects Tyndall's quality to be much better or a somewhere in between:

Chris Dortch ‏@cdortch 19m
@rcjakes Both. Other guys signed to fit different system. DT won't sign people just to be signing them. They'll fit. Still talent out there.

The main reason I mentioned that is to get the Martin guys and the CT guys to bond. There are going to be players that don't like the way DT handles some things, talks or whatever from what they are used to and signed up for. They'll need to be on board mentally and physically.

Getting Pollard and Ellis makes the class better no matter who else we sign. Those two alone outshine our other class.

The main reason I mentioned that is to get the Martin guys and the CT guys to bond. There are going to be players that don't like the way DT handles some things, talks or whatever from what they are used to and signed up for. They'll need to be on board mentally and physically.

This is true. Team chemistry is huge.

This is true. Team chemistry is huge.

Seems the end of May he plans to have all the guys together to start summer workouts. That will be the present guys and all but one of the new guys. He said he had to get the team in shape to play his system and that starts end of May. He insinuated present players were not in good enough shape to play his system right now.

Bring in a couple of JUCO's and a couple of transfers. This will give us a team with some experience and it will fill the void until D.T. can recruit his own high school recruits.

I don't see any high schoolers coming to U.T. this late in the game UNLESS they are guys that he recruited while at Southern Miss..

If our tempo and pace is slow, how are we not in good enough shape to play it?

I think a lot of people are confused about this aspect.

As an analogy, imagine the difference between a spring storm and a hurricane. The spring storm moves quickly, and is here and gone in a flash, while the hurricane may move at only 10 miles an hour. By that standard, the hurricane is much slower. However, if you measure the winds inside the hurricane, they are going to be much higher.

In the same way, we may not go up and down the court as many times as some teams, but no one is going to be standing around. There will be a lot going on. On offense, we will be setting a lot of screens. On defense, there will be a lot risk taking - a lot of diving for the ball. At least, that is the way I understand it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

VN Store

Back