Big Guys and Style of Play!

SeniorDrill

Anybody ever thought you might not want the really big guys if you press the whole game? My guess is conditioning is key. Coach T goes 9-10 deep to maintain that relentless pressure. Saw it watching the Missouri game. The last thing you need is a big guy a step too slow! Looking at the 9 guys with a minimum of 18 minutes, the biggest were 6'5" and 6"7", both weighing 230. That is not a heavy body for that height.

Yea I don't think you'll see a guy like Pops being recruited by Tyndall. You look at Carmichael, Minnie and Towns and they're all very similar 6'8"-6'9" ~200lbs, very athletic.

A guy like AJ Davis has to be licking his chops, this style fits him very nicely.

I don't think you'll see him target heavy guys, but I think you'll see him pursue the athletic 6'10" type of guys. Now they aren't a dime a dozen, those are typically heavily recruited guys so that's likely why you didn't see any on USM's roster.

Thinking about what he could do with a starting 5 of Thompson, Hubbs, Richardson, Davis and Ellis is intriguing. 6'5", 6'6", 6'6", 6'9" and 6'11"

Come tournament time, you better have a big man and be able to play a half court defense and offense.

Reactions: 2 people
We will probably play with one athletic 6'10 6'11 guy who can block shots with an athletic 3/4 at the other froward spot.

I am not a pro coach but in a 1 1 2 1 press you have a big man as the last 1 so he could be not as quick but long as he is a shot blocker. Again i am not as smart as the coaches on here

We had a pretty big team and pressed all year long. Did the same thing with 6'11" Noah, 6'10 Horford, and 6'9" Brewer all on the court.

In fact, rather than tire, it made all the teams we faced tire early and be out on their feet in the 2nd halves of games this year; which is how we kept coming from behind at the half to win or walk away in 2nd halves to blow out opponents.

We'll have a pretty big lineup next year too...

5* Chris Walker - 6'10" 220 lbs.
4* Damontre Harris - 6'10" 230 lbs.
3* Jon Horford - 6'10" 250 lbs.
5* Dorian Finney-Smith 6'8" 215 lbs.
5* Devin Robinson - 6'8" 180 lbs.
4* Alex Murphy - 6'8" 220 lbs.
3* DeVon Walker - 6'6" 200 lbs.
5* Brandone Francis - 6'5" 210 lbs.
4* Michael Frazier - 6'4" 200 lbs.
3* Dillon Graham - 6'4" 190 lbs.
3* Eli Carter - 6'2" 200 lbs.
5* Kasey Hill - 6'1" 185 lbs.
4* Chris Chiozza - 5'10" 169 lbs.
WO Jacob Kurtz - 6'6" 210 lbs.
WO Billy Donovan - 6'2" 195 lbs.
WO Lexx Edwards - 6'2" 225 lbs.
WO Zach Hodskins - 6'2" 175 lbs.

... and I doubt we change a thing. Billy's big on S&C.

Last edited:
Anybody ever thought you might not want the really big guys if you press the whole game? My guess is conditioning is key. Coach T goes 9-10 deep to maintain that relentless pressure. Saw it watching the Missouri game. The last thing you need is a big guy a step too slow! Looking at the 9 guys with a minimum of 18 minutes, the biggest were 6'5" and 6"7", both weighing 230. That is not a heavy body for that height.

Jarnell wasn't fleet of foot but he did all right.
Gonna need some big men if we are going to be competitive. :yes:
GO VOLS!

His stats?

Anybody that watched uconn would realize their 3 guards took them and whomever the big man was really didn't matter.

He was a defensive presence and gave Kentucky's bigs issues. He also hit an and 1 at the end of one of their NCAAT games that basically won it for them.

Daniels who is 6'9"-6'10" actually carried them in the NCAAT up to the championship game, not Napier. Daniels went from 0 draft stock to 1st round pick now that he declared in about a 6 game stretch.

Reactions: 1 person
Always wondered how a team pressing the whole game could have a slow tempo. Something wrong with that tempo stat. Must exclude pressing teams! LOL

Agree. Next years team is going to be fun to watch. I think CDT has been waiting to reach this level for a while.

Don't think he will blow it. I expect a lot of new wrinkles next year.

At least he didn't say "Best Staff in America". There would be 20+ threads addressing this had he.

Always wondered how a team pressing the whole game could have a slow tempo. Something wrong with that tempo stat. Must exclude pressing teams! LOL

there are many questions to ask regarding stats and what they mean, but the guys giving stats don't want to or can't answer them because they involve the game on the court instead of a sheet. There needs to be a little of both. Use of stats with understanding of the game and understanding why some stats are misleading, mean nothing, or actually expose weaknesses while looking positive.
It really is crazy that a team that will press and trap off made baskets would be considered slow tempo and really just adds silliness to the entire pace/tempo/offensive efficiency bs.

4 pts, 3 rebs, 2 blocks per game is what UConn's center averaged. Kenny Hall thinks those stats suck.

You watched very little of UCONN that's fine, being from there and having family that goes there I watch everyone of their games I can.

Brimah wasn't an all-American, but you've mentioned before multiple times that stats don't tell the whole story and that from just watching you should make a statement...nt off stats.

You watched very little of UCONN that's fine, being from there and having family that goes there I watch everyone of their games I can.

Brimah wasn't an all-American, but you've mentioned before multiple times that stats don't tell the whole story and that from just watching you should make a statement...nt off stats.

Uconn still wins with another center but loses without one of their top 3 guards. He only averaged 16 minutes a game, which was 6th on the team. He wasn't the reason they were there and having a dominant big man isn't a prerequisite to winning games and tourney games. That was the topic.

Last edited:
Uconn still wins with another center but loses without one of their top 3 guards. He wasn't the reason they were there and having a dominant big man isn't a prerequisite to winning games and tourney games. That was the topic.

Fair enough, I was just saying they do have a big man, and without that big man hitting the and 1 late they are in the championship game.

And without watching many of their games, there's more to Brimah than stats, that guy alters 6-7 shots a game minimum.

the rim altered 6-7 of our shots per game. Just sayin.

And I understand he was more effective than his stats show, but Tux's statement about having a dominant big man to make a run just isn't correct. If that guy gets in foul trouble 2 minutes in and he's your focus, the run is over quickly.

4 pts, 3 rebs, 2 blocks per game is what UConn's center averaged. Kenny Hall thinks those stats suck.

2 blocks a game is pretty stout; that's about what Damontre Harris averaged when he was SEC Defensive POY, and would rank you in the top 3 or 4 shot blockers in the SEC just about any year.

Pat Young won SEC defensive POY this year despite only averaging 6 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game.

Anybody who thinks you don't need a big man, for defensive purposes at the very least, hasn't watched much basketball at all.

Teams may be guard-driven, but playing small-ball doesn't mean having no big men whatsoever; it just means you play with 3 guards instead of with 3 forwards. If a team doesn't have at least 1 significant post presence they will get beaten mercilessly as bigger teams own the paint.

Udonis Haslem has been averaging about 3 points, 4 rebounds, and less than 1 block per game for about 5 years now for the Heat; but he's still a starter for 1 very important reason... to a man, every player he goes up against has said he's the hardest guy to score on that they've played.

Stats tell a story, but not the whole story; stats don't record altered shots, keeping players from getting to the rim, covering the pick-n-roll, switching at the right time, being able to step out and cover the perimeter and get back, or getting over for the double-team promptly.

Which player does the UConn coach choose to replace by another player on the bench for 15 games if forced to? Napier, Boatright, Daniels or Brimah? It's not even debatable. You play Nolan instead and move on. His stats were close to the same, except fewer blocks and he played @ 2 minutes less.

There is a difference between saying you have to have a dominant big man and saying a big man isn't necessary. Sounds like he filled a role for UConn, but far from the most important player on their team.

VN Store

Back