What would be a recruits list of Pros & Cons

Orangedogsrule

PULEEZE LET SMOKEY WIN!!!
Lets say we're helping a friend who's got 35 offers from all over the country make a list of Pros vs Cons. What would be on the list?

What has their RPI averaged over the last 4 years.
Does their style fit how I like to play?
How long has the coaching staff been there?
Who is the head coach?
Have they won their division? conference?
How many trips to the dance since the current coach got there?
Does the school do well on the academic side?
What's their graduation rate?
Is it my home state school? (how much should this matter to me? .. what are the factors that make it really important, or not?)
Mom/Dad wants/don't want me to go there.
etc.

So, add, remove, move up or down, devise a weighting system or not.

I'm really curious as to how fans think recruits actually decide, or should decide. You can even add "The bagman got me a SUV and paid off Grandma's debts from gambling on rasslin' if you want. Try to keep it real.

in general the important ones are:
-winning program (or at least on the upswing)?
-get along with coaches/PT?
-get along with players?

academics come in for a few.

Did the fanbase and boosters recently run off a Sweet 16 Coach because he was black?

Every time race is left out, someone has to interject it into the conversation. Got news for fans, race can always be injected in a hiring or firing as long as you buy into it or sell it.

I ain't buying into it. Most Americans have moved beyond the 60s. That ship has sailed a long time ago. Get over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Did the fanbase and boosters recently run off a Sweet 16 Coach because he was black?

You just made a totally idiotic comment! People like you are the real racists! On the other hand, if you made this statement as a joke, you really are not funny and a lot of people are sick and tired of people injecting race into every topic! It's time to grow up!
:loco:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Every time race is left out, someone has to interject it into the conversation. Got news for fans, race can always be injected in a hiring or firing as long as you buy into it or sell it.

I ain't buying into it. Most Americans have moved beyond the 60s. That ship has sailed a long time ago. Get over it.

Agree, there are numerous forums devoted to the discussion of social ills. :hi:

You don't live in the South do you?

Reactions: 8 people
I think it's different for most than elite players. Elite players number 1 think is this the best place to make the NBA. For everyone else it's usually how early can I play. Then in no particular order. Location, style of play and how often will we be on tv.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
You don't live in the South do you?

Yes I do. But where I live has nothing to do with pulling out the race card.

All I know about racism is that you can claim it every time a minority is concerned, but it does not mean it is the case.

People overly use it as a crutch to promote their personal agenda, themselves, or their arguments.

I would think that the class that is most discriminated against in this day and age is the Middle age, middle class average white male.

Race is not an issue here. I saw on this site that Martin's team did not have a single white player or coach on it. I am surprised nobody has hollered racism.

The reason being is society is over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

No they didn't run off a Sweet 16 coach because he is black!!!!

They also ran off Jerry Green, who is white and won many games at U.T. He was run off because of his personality.

Martin was run off because he lacked personality....

I predict that in a 10 year period, that Tennessee will have more success in men's basketball w/o Martin as the coach than Cal will have in 10 years with Martin as the coach.....

Now that we've setttled that yellow, green, black, purple, red and blue makes no difference, AND this is absolutely NOT about CBP, CCM, or CDT ... e.g. NOT ABOUT ANY PARTICULAR COACH but his credentials, can we get on with this topic without someone hijacking the thread for their own agenda?

Remember, a high school kid's going to want early PT, cool unis, etc. but we're supposed to be mature friends helping him make a realistic Pro & Con list that has as many good & bad criteria as possible.

That said. Of course -
CON: Seems to have racist fans.

There, stupid, idiotic, ignorant, piggish, soo last century, juvenile, imbecilic, racism is a CON.

Lets move on and make our lists.

No He was run off because ignorant fans thought their Savior Pearl would come back.

wrong. Many knew it had a .01% chance of happening but were tired of ugly, boring, mediocre and underperforming basketball and wanted Martin gone because we were sick of the elementary school level coaching mistakes.
I'm fine with moving on but as long as people want to bring up Pearl and the petition I will set it straight for you.

From Family Perspective:
1. Is the coach likeable, organized and a trustworthy role model (also the assistants)
2. Is there a support system for academics
3. Is the campus and surrounding area safe
4. Will close tabs be kept on him out of season, so my son doesn't get arrested or become a father

From the player's perspective:
1. Is the coach cool
2. How nice are the facilities and travel arrangements
3. Can I play early because I can help us win or am I playing early because the current roster isn't any good
4. Past national tournament trips and chances on yearly attendance in the tournament

There is other stuff like strength of league and tv but if you are getting recruited by an SEC school that is probably already understood. In my opinion you have to develop a level of community and commitment in your program so that you would have the #1 player in the country take his official visit and put him up with the stud or the walk on who never plays and it wouldn't matter.

Can this coach get me to the next level
Does the program have exposure to get me on tv for NBA scouts and espn to talk about me
Playing time and how do I feel I will fit into coaches system
How do I feel I fit in with the other guys on the team on my visits

VN Store

Back