2014 salvaged Recruiting Class

ERvolsfan

I wanted to see everyone's hopes or predicted finished class. My hope is...

F - Devonta Pollard
F - Elijah Minnie
F - Willie Carmicheal
G - Kevin Punter
G - Jaysean Paige

I would love this class.

Reactions: 1 person
Cofer and Ellis an a true point guard are much needed. I think he saves a few schollies for the next class.

Last edited:
Why is everyone so desperate for a PG, I mean we have D Thomp already, who I think will turn into a stud next year. We also have Lopez as a backup who looked competent behind Golden 2 years ago, and will only have to play 10ish minutes per game. I agree we need one for our future, but I think Thompson will be one of our best players next year with Richardson.

Reactions: 2 people
Why is everyone so desperate for a PG, I mean we have D Thomp already, who I think will turn into a stud next year. We also have Lopez as a backup who looked competent behind Golden 2 years ago, and will only have to play 10ish minutes per game. I agree we need one for our future, but I think Thompson will be one of our best players next year with Richardson.

A walk-on playing significant minutes at point guard is a scary proposition. And what if Thompson gets hurt, fouls out, or is unavailable for some reason? We need another point guard on the roster. Badly, imo.

Reactions: 3 people
Good point guards create offense and create problems for the defense. Yep, we need good 'un. :yes:

A walk-on playing signification minutes at point guard is a scary proposition. And what if Thompson gets hurt, fouls out, or is unavailable for some reason? We need another point guard on the roster. Badly, imo.

Spot on.

I'm also not 100% how effective Thompson will be defensively in Tyndall's pressing system. Will he be quick enough fl avoid just getting blown by against smaller quick guards.

Spot on.

I'm also not 100% how effective Thompson will be defensively in Tyndall's pressing system. Will he be quick enough fl avoid just getting blown by against smaller quick guards.

The press is predicated on a teammate being in position to help prevent that from happening. Teams will break it and get open looks and layups. In turn, you hope offset it with steals, getting your opponent out of his game, and forcing them to take bad late shot clock shots when they do get it over, have to back it out and we have 6'6 guys everywhere with their hands up. If this team is as in shape as tyndall says it will be, we should own the last few minutes of the game. I dont know the stat, but assume tyndall had a good record at closing out games. That pressure is mentally and physically draining for the other team at times as well. Remember how much we dreaded a press?
And if a player or recruit is worried about having to run or lose weight, they might as well leave now or not sign.

Bring on the Heat Tennessee! Coach is working on recruits that fit his system. Be patient. He'll get the right players as we go along. I hear the first commitment is possibly coming next week!

With his length DT will be much better at 2 guard than point. He struggled guarding smaller point guards. If he can work on jump shot he will be a major contributor, but he struggles on d at the point.

The press is predicated on a teammate being in position to help prevent that from happening. Teams will break it and get open looks and layups. In turn, you hope offset it with steals, getting your opponent out of his game, and forcing them to take bad late shot clock shots when they do get it over, have to back it out and we have 6'6 guys everywhere with their hands up. If this team is as in shape as tyndall says it will be, we should own the last few minutes of the game. I dont know the stat, but assume tyndall had a good record at closing out games. That pressure is mentally and physically draining for the other team at times as well. Remember how much we dreaded a press?
And if a player or recruit is worried about having to run or lose weight, they might as well leave now or not sign.

This is true. Many times we've been on the other end of the stock when going against pressing teams.

I wanted to see everyone's hopes or predicted finished class. My hope is...

F - Devonta Pollard
F - Elijah Minnie
F - Willie Carmicheal
G - Kevin Punter
G - Jaysean Paige

I would love this class.

Shouldn't Punter be on the football team????

A walk-on playing signification minutes at point guard is a scary proposition. And what if Thompson gets hurt, fouls out, or is unavailable for some reason? We need another point guard on the roster. Badly, imo.

Nothing significate about signification.

Many of the lists of "salvaged" recruits for this class would put the us in the upper echelon of the SEC easily as far as talent is concerned. I highly doubt that we get everyone we target, but I do want to know if we have visits set up.

I know Punter is making a visit and we have a good chance with him. Minnie was excited about chatter of getting a visit from CDT. Ellis was a previous target, but I don't know if we are getting a visit from him. Pollard was in a MS C.C. and I don't know if we are starting from scratch or even if we are legitimately targeting him and have a shot. His SMU guys would be locks to be here if he wants them considering there is room and they are released. They are the only ones we know would come for sure and have no grade issues or character blips.

It will be interesting to see who we get and who the backup plans are. It's tough when there is an existing team here and you are recruiting a whole other team too with so many schollies. Regardless of how it all shakes out, chemistry will be something we'll have to overcome during the summer months.

Many of the lists of "salvaged" recruits for this class would put the us in the upper echelon of the SEC easily as far as talent is concerned. I highly doubt that we get everyone we target, but I do want to know if we have visits set up.

I know Punter is making a visit and we have a good chance with him. Minnie was excited about chatter of getting a visit from CDT. Ellis was a previous target, but I don't know if we are getting a visit from him. Pollard was in a MS C.C. and I don't know if we are starting from scratch or even if we are legitimately targeting him and have a shot. His SMU guys would be locks to be here if he wants them considering there is room and they are released. They are the only ones we know would come for sure and have no grade issues or character blips.

It will be interesting to see who we get and who the backup plans are. It's tough when there is an existing team here and you are recruiting a whole other team too with so many schollies. Regardless of how it all shakes out, chemistry will be something we'll have to overcome during the summer months.
Well said.

VN Store

Back