Speaks Volumes!

rocketvol

This may have been said somewhere in another thread, but I wanted to throw this out there and speak from my heart!
The fact that all of Cuonzo's recruits have de-committed tells me everything I need to know about Cuonzo's recruiting and the types of guys he was bringing in here.

Clearly, he wasn't selling the University and the pride of being a Volunteer or these guys would still be committed.

This has nothing to do with Coach Tyndall and everything to do with what we ALL dis-liked about Cuonzo: his lack of passion and pride for The University of Tennessee and what it means to play here! And he obviously wasn't portraying that to recruits, which is probably why they were all 3 Stars and not higher. The appeal isn't in the coach(who had proven nothing in his career), but what it means to play at one of the largest basketball arenas in the country and playing in front of 20,000 rabid orange Volunteer fans!

I can see Coach Donnie has that passion and will bring us back to glory and bring pride back to the program!That is all. Oh yeah, GO VOLS!!:rock:

Reactions: 20 people
This may have been said somewhere in another thread, but I wanted to throw this out there and speak from my heart!
The fact that all of Cuonzo's recruits have de-committed tells me everything I need to know about Cuonzo's recruiting and the types of guys he was bringing in here.

Clearly, he wasn't selling the University and the pride of being a Volunteer or these guys would still be committed.

This has nothing to do with Coach Tyndall and everything to do with what we ALL dis-liked about Cuonzo: his lack of passion and pride for The University of Tennessee and what it means to play here! And he obviously wasn't portraying that to recruits, which is probably why they were all 3 Stars and not higher. The appeal isn't in the coach(who had proven nothing in his career), but what it means to play at one of the largest basketball arenas in the country and playing in front of 20,000 rabid orange Volunteer fans!

I can see Coach Donnie has that passion and will bring us back to glory and bring pride back to the program!That is all. Oh yeah, GO VOLS!!:rock:

Please give it a rest. Can we not just move on. They are 17-18 yr old kids. They dont know Coach Tyndall. Nothing more nothing less.

Reactions: 24 people

Tell that to the Cofers.

Reactions: 6 people

What speaks volumes is that these recruits don't like the way that Martin was treated by the University and other programs have used that to do some "negative recruiting"

Me, personally, if I were a recruit who signed an LOI to attend University of "X" and I liked the coach and his staff, but the University started to treat the coach badly and the coach moved on, I would with 90% certainty NOT attend the University of "X"

Of course, you have to realize that other programs are spinning this in to "negative recruiting" (Those folks at U.T. are prejudice. They would never treat a white coach the way they treated Martin)

Also, there is no telling what the current U.T. players are telling them either...

This is not a reflection on Martin but a reflection on how the University treated Martin.

Reactions: 8 people
Who even cares anymore...it is what it is...UT treated Martin like crap...blah blah blah....just because he's black...blah blah blah...he moved on, its time all of us do the same. Coach T will do things his way, with his people and his players and he will either be somewhat successful or he will too be moving on in a few years...its the nature of the beast...lets just move on and see what our CURRENT coach and players can do.

Reactions: 1 person
I hate to break it to you but most kids are recruited to a coach, not a university.

Nonsense; every time there's a coaching change somewhere and kids are asked in interviews if they plan to decommit, the VAST majority say they committed to a university, not a coach.

Having an entire class bail out is extremely unusual.

Some of UT's decommits might come back once they get to know DT some; but let's be honest, he doesn't strike the same pose that CM did or inspire confidence... he's kind of an awkward little dude.

Reactions: 3 people
Goodbye and riddance to counzo and his merry band of 3* recruits. It's time to live and live, move forward, and support CDT.

Reactions: 8 people
You mean like this guy?

MearsRay.jpg

So just by watching his presser, you were able to tell that he has that passion and he will bring us back to glory ? Nothing he said in his presser was nothing any other new coach would not of said.I understand being excited an all but every time there is a new coach, some seems to go all in before they ever coach a game. It has happened with the last 3 hires.
I hope he works out and wins championships but Im not ready to bet my house on this guy.

At this point, I'd have to say that Cuonzo's best selling point was that his teams were perennial NIT quality first or second round outs. Hence, he recruited as such. Certainly no allegiance to the university or fans that spent the cash to make him a millionaire.

His strategy is to coach/recruit in obscurity rather than sell kids on playing in front of 18,000 fans every game, in a premier conference, at a premier school, with premier facilities.

And don't give me the tired minutia of his sweet 16 run because we barely made a play in game then turned it on finally, against meager competition, save Michigan. I will give him props for one win during his tenure, Virginia. But to follow that up with a loss to Vandy who only had 7 kids on scholly speaks volumes.

Good bye and good riddance Cuonzo. Enjoy that basketball 3 star powerhouse in Berkely.

Welcome, COACH TYNDALL, finally, a proven winner, recruiter, and now big orange basketball coach.....ah, a real coach.

Reactions: 9 people
So what should we think about the USM guys, that signed to USM, and are now wanting to come to Tennessee?

Coming to UT is a step up for kids committed to USM, no matter who's coaching. And I'm sure they are attached to DT after probably years of being recruited by him.

But at first glance, without ever having gotten the pitch and long-term relationship, kids might be a little skeptical about DT at first... not exactly a household name whose reputation precedes him yet.

There are legit reasons why kids would want to leave too; if they don't fit in the new guys system or they simply don't have confidence in the new guy, they bail.

But often decommits come back to the fold after they've met with the new coach and heard what he has to say... that's where we'll find out what DT possesses as a recruiter.

So, let me ask you this. How do you pick your CPA? How do you pick your investment guy? How do you pick your dentist? How do you pick your doctor? How do you pick your lawyer?

Is it only based on how nice their offices are? Is it based on how soft their couches are? Is it based on their restrooms?

No. Life is about relationships. We use and seek advice from people we trust and form relationships with. We get referrals from others who rave about their services. That is life. Why would we ask 18 year old kids to do it differently? This is their school, their life, and their future. It's all about relationships!

Reactions: 3 people
What speaks volumes is that these recruits don't like the way that Martin was treated by the University and other programs have used that to do some "negative recruiting"

Me, personally, if I were a recruit who signed an LOI to attend University of "X" and I liked the coach and his staff, but the University started to treat the coach badly and the coach moved on, I would with 90% certainty NOT attend the University of "X"

Of course, you have to realize that other programs are spinning this in to "negative recruiting" (Those folks at U.T. are prejudice. They would never treat a white coach the way they treated Martin)

Also, there is no telling what the current U.T. players are telling them either...

This is not a reflection on Martin but a reflection on how the University treated Martin.

The University treated him just fine with an extension and raise offer.

Reactions: 4 people
At this point, I'd have to say that Cuonzo's best selling point was that his teams were perennial NIT quality first or second round outs. Hence, he recruited as such. Certainly no allegiance to the university or fans that spent the cash to make him a millionaire.

His strategy is to coach/recruit in obscurity rather than sell kids on playing in front of 18,000 fans every game, in a premier conference, at a premier school, with premier facilities.

And don't give me the tired minutia of his sweet 16 run because we barely made a play in game then turned it on finally, against meager competition, save Michigan. I will give him props for one win during his tenure, Virginia. But to follow that up with a loss to Vandy who only had 7 kids on scholly speaks volumes.

Good bye and good riddance Cuonzo. Enjoy that basketball 3 star powerhouse in Berkely.

Welcome, COACH TYNDALL, finally, a proven winner, recruiter, and now big orange basketball coach.....ah, a real coach.

how many times was southern miss in the tourny?

Reactions: 2 people

I didn't know UT fired him. Did they not offer him a raise ? Martin left because he knew he was going to be fired after next season. Martin sucked and its not because he is black,yellow,or blue. He sucked before he got to UT.

Man, if you don't think kids commit to a coach and their system, you are delusional. Facilities and fanbase are simply the extras - the cherry on top, so to speak.

Do you think Alabama has the top recruiting class in football year in and year out, simply because they are Alabama? Or, do you think kids want to go to Kentucky to play basketball, simply because it is Kentucky? According to your logic, the coaches of those two programs have nothing to do with their recent recruiting success. Come on, Man!

How the university treated Martin! That's a joke! The University of Tennessee made him a millionaire my friend and even gave him the best facilities in the country to recruit with, plus he would never be considered for the Cal job if it wasn't for the opportunities that this great University provided! Poor Coach Martin. I'd trade positions with him any day. Tougher Breed my foot.

VN Store

Back