Lets be honest and look at this hire.

allvol21

For one second lets take a step back and remove our own personal agenda's out of the equation of evaluating this hire just from a Coaching prospect standpoint. Obviously the same posters that continually support martin will be unable to do that but the fact of the matter is HE IS GONE and that is for many reasons so if you liked him it is irrelevant because he is not longer our coach and 75-85% of the fan base wanted it that way any way. So all I can say to some of you is get on or go bears. Preferably root for cal.

A few quick points that this early on have made me quickly grow on Tyndel:

- I liked the HAT motto that he would make a culture of with theam.

-Love the fact that he will play up tempo early on this gives us a chance to upset so people that have us completely out matched. (see pearls defensive scheme) first 2 years.

-Lastly we are back to an eccentric, genuine, charismatic guy leading our program and very crucial at this time promote it!:clapping:

Obviously recruiting this year is going to be near to impossible but lets see what he can do and more importantly what he can do with a dwindeld roster as far as motivation and development. That will give us a bigger insight on what he will be able to do down the road than anything.

Reactions: 12 people
I think just like Butch he gets it! It may take a while but he will get us back to where we need to be! go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
For one second lets take a step back and remove our own personal agenda's out of the equation of evaluating this hire just from a Coaching prospect standpoint. Obviously the same posters that continually support martin will be unable to do that but the fact of the matter is HE IS GONE and that is for many reasons so if you liked him it is irrelevant because he is not longer our coach and 75-85% of the fan base wanted it that way any way. So all I can say to some of you is get on or go bears. Preferably root for cal.

A few quick points that this early on have made me quickly grow on Tyndel:

- I liked the HAT motto that he would make a culture of with theam.

-Love the fact that he will play up tempo early on this gives us a chance to upset so people that have us completely out matched. (see pearls defensive scheme) first 2 years.

-Lastly we are back to an eccentric, genuine, charismatic guy leading our program and very crucial at this time promote it!:clapping:

Obviously recruiting this year is going to be near to impossible but lets see what he can do and more importantly what he can do with a dwindeld roster as far as motivation and development. That will give us a bigger insight on what he will be able to do down the road than anything.

What evidence do you have that he plays up tempo? The stats don't bare that out.

Reactions: 4 people
It's called due diligence. How in the **** does anyone not look at his troubles with NCAA and at least have a conversation about it.

Reactions: 8 people
I have not looked into stats I know that style of play has much more to do with the build and make up of your team than it does with numbers. Stats are a great indicator but they are also are a fallback for those who cannot analyze a game for themselves. Like I said this post was based on what he has said and planned to do so far. Why the guy would say he would press every dead ball and made basket and push the tempo on the offensive end is beyond me if he wasn't planning on playing doing so. You would be setting your self up for faliure and lack of trust with in the team and staff from the get go. So before he coaches his first game with his first team at UT I will be glad to take him on his word over stats that would indicate something that has nothing to do with this situation or current roster. But I'm glad you are trying to be optimistic about the whole thing. Though I'm sure your numbers will indicate that that would not be possible based on past years. Let me ask you this do you think that he may change his style of play to adjust to his current squad? He wouldn't be the first to do that, and then your numbers wouldn't mean shi**t hold out until he puts a team on the floor before you try to analyze his future lack of success in numbers buddy.

Reactions: 1 person
Stats don't bare it, but film does. Also the poster could have stated that Tyndall's teams move on the court more than Martin's teams do. Tyndalls teams are less offensively less efficient than Martin's teams.

Did not see much standing around on Tyndall's teams.

He is a wait and see hire, like Pearl and like Martin. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing wrong with admitting it.

Reactions: 12 people
Being honest is we won't know anything until next year when he has time to recruit and we see if martins scrubs overachieve. Martin left him garbage

Reactions: 4 people
Stats don't bare it, but film does. Also the poster could have stated that Tyndall's teams move on the court more than Martin's teams do. Tyndalls teams are less offensively less efficient than Martin's teams.

Did not see much standing around on Tyndall's teams.

Wow your kidding me there is even video evidence to prove to this CCM supporter that is wanting to pick the new hire apart otherwise.

Like I said even that film doesn't show what he has explained to be the style of play for this year and it is still more active and up tempo than goofy guonzo. It was a nice try though. There is know way you can support that theory based on anything other than hope because until he goes against what he has promised the team and fans you have nothing. I can promise you there is no coach crazy enough to get that detailed about their style of play giving examples of other teams and not be %100 on board with playing that way. Why would you want you tenure to start with a huge lie? Use your common sense not stats it will serve you better in this argument.:good!:

Reactions: 3 people
Looking at the other jobs recently filled he looks pretty good - I would take his resume over Wojo, Manning, Martin, and whoever Mizzou hires (not sounding like its gonna be a big hire but not done yet). Wake, Marquette, and Mizzou are pretty good basketball schools.

Reactions: 1 person
It's called due diligence. How in the **** does anyone not look at his troubles with NCAA and at least have a conversation about it.

If you watch the press conference you would have heard him address it. It was a booster trying to be a coach. The school took charge and reduced one scholarship and the NCAA accepted it. Case closed. Move on.

Being honest is we won't know anything until next year when he has time to recruit and we see if martins scrubs overachieve. Martin left him garbage

I completely agree and have told many of my co-workers that. Basically that is the point of my post is that there is nothing that we can know until October besides what he plans on doing and when October comes we will know somewhat on how we can recruit and as I mentioned before even more than that how he develops what remains.

Wow your kidding me there is even video evidence to prove to this CCM supporter that is wanting to pick the new hire apart otherwise.

Like I said even that film doesn't show what he has explained to be the style of play for this year and it is still more active and up tempo than goofy guonzo. It was a nice try though. There is know way you can support that theory based on anything other than hope because until he goes against what he has promised the team and fans you have nothing. I can promise you there is no coach crazy enough to get that detailed about their style of play giving examples of other teams and not be %100 on board with playing that way. Why would you want you tenure to start with a huge lie? Use your common sense not stats it will serve you better in this argument.:good!:

You are funny. I think we are saying the same thing but differently put. Exactly right about the press conference and if we are pressing 75-80% of the game then we are playing at a higher tempo or at least forcing a higher tempo.

My first post was meant of a different thread.

Last edited:
If he wins right away all will love him. If he loses a few all will say he sucks. That is the barometer of the overall IQ of vol nation ...

Reactions: 5 people

I'm sure Josh Richardson and the others appreciate your use of the word "garbage" in reference to them.

Reactions: 6 people
I'm sure Josh Richardson and the others appreciate your use of the word "garbage" in reference to them.[

Its part of why he left. He knew this team was not great coming back. 4-5 solid players out of a 10-12 man roster is called leaving garbage. Rich, Hubbs, Thompson, Moore and Davis are only guys worthy of SEC play

I'm sure Josh Richardson and the others appreciate your use of the word "garbage" in reference to them.[

Its part of why he left. He knew this team was not great coming back. 4-5 solid players out of a 10-12 man roster is called leaving garbage. Rich, Hubbs, Thompson, Moore and Davis are only guys worthy of SEC play

No.

The first, and a very important factor that I picked up on, is that he is very grateful to be here. That seems genuine from him. That carries a lot of weight with me. He has respect for what this university is and has done as a whole. He has a respectable resume and clearly does know how to win and build a program. Under the circumstances we could have done a lot worse. All that being said, if he doesn't succeed here, I will be calling for his head. But for right now, I am more than willing to see what he can do. I wish him the best and will give him my full support.

I think he'll have some success in the SEC, but as for pearl like national exposure and energy... Well... Maybe that lightning in a bottle just strikes once. I doubt even pearl will be able to come close to replicating it at auburn. But maybe, just maybe with a little luck and some outside jumpers we may make a run some day.

Admittedly, I did not know much about Tyndall before the hire and only know a slight more now. I have watched a few videos on Tyndall and from the videos I have seen coaching characteristics I have not seen at UT in some time, for example:

1) during in game coaching, he has emotion and exhibits it
2) he works the refs
3) during a game, he actually coach's
4) during a game, he draws up his plays he wants to run
5) during a game while in a timeout and drawing up a play, he demands the players total attention
6) he understands "X's and O's"
7) he speech is understandable both on and off the court
8) he is fan supportive

Tyndall was not my first choice for the head coaching pisition but after some investigating he seems to be a good coach and has a track record for winning.

Only time will tell if he will be successful at UT (but I believe he will).

VN Store

Back