Deserves its own thread!

SeniorDrill

This post was made by DeadThree024, who is a high school basketball coach, and gives so much good insight into what to expect from Tyndall's match up zone that everyone should see it. It is so good that two of the moderators even gave it accolades. Can't get any better than this!
"I haven't studied Tyndall, but I have studied Pitino relentlessly, and my college coach was a GA on his staff at UK so I've played in a similar system. Tennessee will press you, and they'll press more at home than on the road (something Pitino does as well). They'll show you different looks in the press depending on how they score. Ex. Score in the paint = Run and jump (Matchup); Free throw = 1-2-1-1; Three = Half-court trap; Tyndall's cues may be completely different, and he may not vary his looks as much, (Pitino doesn't use the 1-2-1-1 nearly as much now as he did with UK) but that's kind of what to expect full court wise. Pitino does play a ton of his matchup in the half-court as the season goes by. Early in the year he won't use it as much especially if his team is inexperienced, but by March they are able to execute it how he wants. Initially, it looks like a pretty standard 2-3, but there's different cues throughout a possession that will trigger them to go man. The most obvious is a post-entry. Also, they'll double out of it a few different ways. They'll trap the first guard-to-wing pass past half-court, or they'll allow the ball into the short corner and trap it there while the opposite guard anticipates the pass out of the double. They'll occasionally jump into 1-3-1/diamond look out of the 2-3 once the ball passes half-court. Out of this, they'll trap the dribbler on the side of the floor (Take the volleyball lines of a gym floor and extend them all the way down the sideline; they'll trap in that area) 1 and 4 will trap the high-post area, and they'll trap the dribble into the corner as well. That's kind of a brief summary of what to possibly expect, however, the closer his system is to Pitino's, the more similarities you'll notice from my post."

Reactions: 7 people
With Johnson and Punter on Tyndall's radar things might be getting interesting. If the OP is right things might be about to pick up in Knoxville.

Can't wait! Pitino coached teams are always one of my favorites to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Instead of talking about what Pitino does at UL wouldn't it be easier to just watch some USM games?

The Times Free Press article mentioned Johnson when talking about the recruit round up for Tyndall's assistants. It also said that Johnson might be looking to the NCAA for a waiver on the setting out for a year. I tried to open the link but now it wants me to subscribe. It's in the news on the left of the Volnation homepage.

The Times Free Press article mentioned Johnson when talking about the recruit round up for Tyndall's assistants. It also said that Johnson might be looking to the NCAA for a waiver on the setting out for a year. I tried to open the link but now it wants me to subscribe. It's in the news on the left of the Volnation homepage.

Here you go.

Tennessee's assistants will be on the road at various AAU events this weekend, and the Vols are hoping to add a junior college prospect or a transfer. One name to watch is Purdue guard Ronnie Johnson. He would have to sit out a season unless he's granted a waiver from the NCAA.

Johnson won't get a waiver to play at U.T. His family is from Indianapolis. Part of the untold story behind Ronnie and Purdue is that Ronnie's dad, who didn't have much to do with Ronnie's or Terone's (Ronnie's brother and Purdue's leading scorer last year) upbringing, was recently, ahem, well let's just say he now has the opportunity to be around that was not afforded by the state of Indiana in the past. He has Ronnie's ear and did not like how he was being used in Purdue's system. Ronnie is not a bad kid, and I think he was getting some bad advice. I previously said I wouldn't touch him, but that was in Martin's system, and he wouldn't have been an option anyway. In a more open system I think he could be a solid player.

Pros:
Deadly when he can get to his left hand
Solid scorer and has a nice floater in the lane
Good at attacking the basket in the open court
2 years of starting experience

Cons:
Not a leader
Easily frustrated
Terrible free throw shooter
Has a weird push shot thing going with his 3, but was more accurate this year.
Will force stuff that isn't available when frustrated
Small

Last edited:

VN Store

Back