This Concerns me.

“Donnie is my best friend in life,” Wortman wrote in a text message. “I’m the best man in his wedding in August. We have visited about a position on his staff.

“I know how successful coach Tyndall and the Tennessee program is going to be. However, right now I feel like I have the perfect job for me — coaching a great group of guys at Blackman High School.”

^This concerns you?

The dude is happy. Moving on.

Reactions: 5 people
Stability, Family, low energy, accomplishment, results, supportive fans vs travel, recruiting, more travel, instability, under a microscope, being in charge vs 2nd 3rd seat. Money is not everything, steady employment is.

Reactions: 4 people
Being a college coach requires a lot more time and effort than being a high school coach. Like the story DT told at his press conference about driving several hours to see a recruit play a game, sleep a couple of hours in the car at a gas station and then drive back to campus for a 6 am workout.

College coaching is a 365 day per year 24 hour a day job. Tough to be a family man and do this the way it is expected at a D1 school.

Reactions: 4 people
George Quarles has been offered many college opportunities but refuses to leave Maryville High School. He keeps winning state championships and is compensated quite well for a very small town. He has said life is good and he doesn't want to change that for his family. This doesn't bother me at all and I'm actually happy that the guy is able to turn down the bright lights / big city because he's happy. I wish EVERYBODY was cursed with happiness and could make that call.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/jan/09/quarles-enjoys-exposure/

Reactions: 1 person
George Quarles has been offered many college opportunities but refuses to leave Maryville High School. He keeps winning state championships and is compensated quite well for a very small town. He has said life is good and he doesn't want to change that for his family. This doesn't bother me at all and I'm actually happy that the guy is able to turn down the bright lights / big city because he's happy. I wish EVERYBODY was cursed with happiness and could make that call.

Maryville coach Quarles plans on staying put » Knoxville News Sentinel

If I was making 100k+ to be a high school head coach there's no way I'd leave either, especially if I was trying to do that whole actually raising your own kids thing.

Reactions: 5 people
At least if Tyndall needs any info on Darius Thompson all he needs to do is pick up the phone and ask haha.

Coaching is hard. My secretary's husband played college ball (and went to the dance) and coached for 9 years. When she was having an emergency C-section, he was on the road at a game. At that moment he realized that family was more important than coaching. He is now a banker, but was bigtime enough that you would recognize the name if I shared it.

Relax.

VN Store

Back