Not Going to Have "Thugs"? Wha?

volholio

Serious question here.

The Richard Sherman incident brought this term to the forefront of the sporting world's consciousness. In fact, Sherman wrote an article about it in the MMQB

Richard Sherman Explains What People Mean When They Call Him A "Thug"

Sherman--and most of the African American community and most of pundents--came to the conclusion that "thug" is the new "n-word."

Now: Is Tyndall a purposeful racist? I don't think so. I don't think most of the people that use "Thug" consider themselves racist. In fact, I know they don't.

Yet, it is mostly considered a racist term by African Americans. So, I'm not sure what to make of that, but it's something I noticed and cringed at when I heard him say it.

Thoughts?

Go Vals!

Reactions: 4 people
Somebody please take this guy's thread starting privileges away.

It's a legitimate debate. It was HUGE issue not even three months ago. I have a link to Richard Sherman talking about it.

I think it's a fair discussion. If you'd not like to join it, that's fine, but I think it's interesting. I'm interested in other opinions.

Reactions: 6 people
It's a legitimate debate. It was HUGE issue not even three months ago. I have a link to Richard Sherman talking about it.

I think it's a fair discussion. If you'd not like to join it, that's fine, but I think it's interesting. I'm interested in other opinions.

Then post it in the Politics or Pub forums. You're just cluttering up the basketball forum.

Reactions: 13 people
Serious question here.

The Richard Sherman incident brought this term to the forefront of the sporting world's consciousness. In fact, Sherman wrote an article about it in the MMQB

Sherman--and most of the African American community and most of pundents--came to the conclusion that "thug" is the new "n-word."

Now: Is Tyndall a purposeful racist? I don't think so. I don't think most of the people that use "Thug" consider themselves racist. In fact, I know they don't.

Yet, it is mostly considered a racist term by African Americans. So, I'm not sure what to make of that, but it's something I noticed and cringed at when I heard him say it.

Thoughts?

Go Vals!

Thug is the new "h-word" (honkey) FWIW IYAM IMHO

Reactions: 2 people
I have no problem with what DT said. In fact, he should've been given a standing ovation when he said it.

Reactions: 23 people
Serious question here.

Thoughts?

Go Vals!

Iv'e used the word thug many times for many years and have never thought of race. Only the persons actions. Don't really care what big mouth Sherman says.

Reactions: 25 people
My opinion will not be popular on this subject. Thug is not the new n word to me. Thugs come in all colors shapes and sizes.

Reactions: 25 people
You do realize that the idiot Sherman also labeled the NFL racist because they are trying to take the "n" word out of the game.

AA's are well known for being bull hurt over anything because of Jesse Jackson and guys like him. If they knew how ignorant they were, they'd breakdown.

A thug is any color, any race. Justin Bieber is a thug!

The subject is about the word "Thug" not about who used it.

as it was used by the UT coach. Feel free to simply use the ignore thread option and it will no longer be visible for you

Thoughts?

Go Vals!

Reactions: 3 people
AA's are well known for being bull hurt over anything because of Jesse Jackson and guys like him. If they knew how ignorant they were, they'd breakdown.

You calling anyone ignorant is hilarious. Every other thread no matter the forum. has some ignorant hate filled racist trash statement from you.

Reactions: 7 people
You calling anyone ignorant is hilarious. Every other thread no matter the forum. has some ignorant hate filled racist trash statement from you.

Have you seen the race baiters lately? I'm sorry if I don't think everyone is perfect. I hate bad character and praise good character. How is that being racist? I actually don't think race exists in any form. It's a made up term by humanity. JJ and AS are the only ones who give a crap because it makes them money.

My favorite coach on our campus is Dave Serrano, so it'd be a contradiction if I was racist.

Reactions: 1 person

I will bite.

Is thug a derogatory term? Yes

Is thug a derogatory term used to describe some problem black individuals? Yes

Is thug a derogatory term used to describe some problem white individuals? Yes

Hispanics? Yes

The list goes on and on. He might could have used a more PC term but in no way does that make him a racist. Racism/racist is the most over used whiny excuse/complaint in America right now. Its 2014, some people are racist but most aren't. I would venture to guess that more white people are falsely accused of being racist than any black person is falsely accused of being a thug. What I have learned in life is that the people that cry racism the most and the fastest are usually the most racist of all.

Reactions: 8 people
Serious question here.

Thoughts?

Go Vals!

Racism will always be a factor as long as people like you keeping analyzing everything people say with a fine tooth comb. Mlb has been under fire for being racist lately because only having 68 AA in the league well what's that make the NBA? Since we are on UT basketball what about the fact that martin had no white players on his roster last year or white coaches on his staff see it works both ways when you over analyze

I agree that just because certain dumbasses use a word racially should not taint the word for intelligent people to use properly.

As for the first paragraph, 300 years of bondage followed by 100 years of oppression might make you hypersensitive too.

VN Store

Back