Jarnell Stokes projected in first round per Chad Ford

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
30 Jarnell Stokes San Antonio Spurs (62 - 20)COLLEGE: Tennessee HT: 6-8WT: 250POS: PF

Analyisis: Stokes might be undersized, but he's a great rebounder and has the strength to create space. The Spurs have found places for players such as him in the past. And don't forget, though he might be a junior, he's still just 20 years old.

*The Pistons must send their first-round pick to Charlotte if, because of the lottery order, it falls below No. 8.

*The Pelicans must send their first-round pick to Philadelphia if they don't win one of the top three spots in the lottery.

ESPN NBA Mock Draft - ESPN

Reactions: 9 people
April 14 Update: Stokes is one of the best rebounders in college basketball and despite being a junior, is just 20 years old. Those are the two things that NBA scouts like most about his game. He's a bit undersized for his position, plays below the rim and could stand to lose a little weight, which all hurts his future upside. But rebounding is one stat that tends to translate at the next level and it could propel Stokes into the late first round.

Reactions: 6 people
Stokes reminds me of "that guy" at the Y that always seems to get the rebounds, no matter what. At first it seems like he's just lucky-right place/right time. But then he just keeps on getting lucky, over and over again haha. After awhile, you realize he just has a talent for getting the damn ball.

Reactions: 2 people
Stokes can go out to about 15 feet and the way pros practice, would have a ton of time to perfect shots from a couple of spots where he would get the ball on the court. He's had the shot since he was in hs and a good touch.

Shows I dont have a clue about seeing NBA talent in college players

Not really. Your assessment of him is probably right on. It'll take just the right fit for Jarnell to land in the NBA due to his body type, style of play and limited range. Here's hoping he lands with the right team and has a long, successful career.

Bring it Jarnell! Will enjoy watching another VFL in the NBA!!

I think the Spurs would be an excellent fit for him since they tend to be a fundamentally sound team. It's not always about size.

Shows I dont have a clue about seeing NBA talent in college players

Ha. You and me both. I watch a lot of NBA basketball and like to think I can ID NBA talent in college. Nope. Neither can NBA scouts most of the time, outside of the obvious prospects.

I follow the Memphis grizzlies and have said for years that stokes is a clone of zach Randolph. He's a little shorter than most post players and a little over weight. But he bangs down low. He gets about 15- 25points and 15 rebounds a game . The guy wears down the other teams big men. He's a fan favorite for his blue collar work style. He gets it done. Just needs to develop a jumper like zbo did

I follow the Memphis grizzlies and have said for years that stokes is a clone of zach Randolph. He's a little shorter than most post players and a little over weight. But he bangs down low. He gets about 15- 25points and 15 rebounds a game . The guy wears down the other teams big men. He's a fan favorite for his blue collar work style. He gets it done. Just needs to develop a jumper like zbo did

Randolph has release angles and touch that are a gift that other players don't have. Never seen a guy get off a shot before the defense even realizes he has the rebound like he does. He's undersized, wide and can't leap, but that's about it as far as comparison. Jmo.

Reactions: 2 people
You can't tell what a guy is in the NBA until five years or so into his career. Plenty of time for Stokes to develop his game as long as he can stick. He could look like a completely different player seven years from now. People here will be asking, "Why didn't he do those things at UT? He could've been great here if he hadn't been so lazy."

Randolph has release angles and touch that are a gift that other players don't have. Never seen a guy get off a shot before the defense even realizes he has the rebound like he does. He's undersized, wide and can't leap, but that's about it as far as comparison. Jmo.

Randolph seems to be a better ball handler as well. Of course, we didn't see much of Jarnell on the dribble with the exception of his patented 'bull in the china shop' crash across the lane jump hook.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back