Take a deep breath... We are fine!

Keyser Soze

We had a lot more talent on the roster going into this season than we will next season. But that doesn't necessarily mean much, if Donnie Knoxville can rally the troops and get Thompson and Hubbs to step up. Get some solid play out of Davis and Cofer we can still put a good product out on the floor and compete with everyone in the SEC outside the big 2. Lets get behind this coach and the kids who want to be Vols. I think everyone on our roster outside one or two players fit into CDT system better than the fit into CCM's system. Even though after 3 years, I'm not still not really sure what CCM's system was! I'm willing to bet we don't see any games in Donnie Knoxville's tenure that we only score 36 pts! :salute:

Reactions: 8 people
We had a lot more talent on the roster going into this season than we will next season. But that doesn't necessarily mean much, if Donnie Knoxville can rally the troops and get Thompson and Hubbs to step up. Get some solid play out of Davis and Cofer we can still put a good product out on the floor and compete with everyone in the SEC outside the big 2. Lets get behind this coach and the kids who want to be Vols. I think everyone on our roster outside one or two players fit into CDT system better than the fit into CCM's system. Even though after 3 years, I'm not still not really sure what CCM's system was! I'm willing to bet we don't see any games in Donnie Knoxville's tenure that we only score 36 pts! :salute:

Good post Soze

Richardson, Moore, Thompson, Hubbs, Reese, Davis.....potentially a decent nucleus. Add Cofer and Turman (he is still committed, right?) and a couple to 3 players it appears CDT has up his sleeve...all is far from lost. Let the guy work and let's make our judgments when we actually have something to judge.

Reactions: 5 people

I agree and I for sure am not going to panic. To start with a thin roster....he probably will have to take a couple or three jucos and start recruiting for next year. I like what I have seen and read so far on Tyndall.....hope it will be a breath of fresh air next year. I know the pressers will be.

Reactions: 3 people
Seems like a good place to post this...

I've obviously been very critical of today's events, don't like the fact that you're parting with at least 2 players(likely more) when you've got open scholarships already. I also think there's players on the current roster who are a lot less talented, and don't his Tyndall's system much more so than some of the signees. With that said...

If Tyndall has a plan up his sleeve to poach 2 guys from USM (that he swore he wouldn't do), land Octavius Ellis, Justin Martin, Matt Carlino and Devonta Pollard....then I will take my hat off to him and never doubt him again. He would've transformed the roster from a 16-20 win team, to a 22+ win talent roster and allow zero dropoff.

My issue is that I highly doubt that's what's gonna happen, I'm more inclined to think were gonna fill 4-6 scholarships with JUCO guys like Dwight Miller, Pops Ndiaye, Dmontre Edwards etc. that we all criticize Martin for taking and hurting the roster with. He's had the job for around 48 hours, to think that he has some top notch plan up his sleeve to field a NCAAT is far fetched IMO, but hey I'll hope for it.

Solid post OP.

He'll bring in a couple more players. I don't see a huge decline in talent from losing 2 (possibly 3 recruits). Gotta trust in CDT's judgement.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree and I for sure am not going to panic. To start with a thin roster....he probably will have to take a couple or three jucos and start recruiting for next year. I like what I have seen and read so far on Tyndall.....hope it will be a breath of fresh air next year. I know the pressers will be.

Pastner is a joke LOCK DOWN TENNESSEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've obviously been very critical of today's events, don't like the fact that you're parting with at least 2 players(likely more) when you've got open scholarships already. I also think there's players on the current roster who are a lot less talented, and don't his Tyndall's system much more so than some of the signees. With that said...

If Tyndall has a plan up his sleeve to poach 2 guys from USM (that he swore he wouldn't do), land Octavius Ellis, Justin Martin, Matt Carlino and Devonta Pollard....then I will take my hat off to him and never doubt him again. He would've transformed the roster from a 16-20 win team, to a 22+ win talent roster and allow zero dropoff.

My issue is that I highly doubt that's what's gonna happen, I'm more inclined to think were gonna fill 4-6 scholarships with JUCO guys like Dwight Miller, Pops Ndiaye, Dmontre Edwards etc. that we all criticize Martin for taking and hurting the roster with. He's had the job for around 48 hours, to think that he has some top notch plan up his sleeve to field a NCAAT is far fetched IMO, but hey I'll hope for it.

If we got just two of those guys I would be happy lol

The biggest thing we need next year is realistic expectations. Cuonzo was a good teacher, but he didn't leave the cupboard very well stocked. (This is arguably one reason why he may have bolted.) To lose some of his recruits is not that surprising, as his style of play is different from Tyndall's.

I like what I've seen from Tyndall thus far, but we also have to be realistic that it's probably going to take 3-4 years to right the ship. If we make the NCAA tourney in the next couple of years, we're exceeding expectations.

I never heard Tyndall "swear" he wouldn't poach recruits from USM. In the interview I listened to yesterday he said he owed it to USM to encourage those players to honor their commitments. He then added that of they didn't, he would evaluate the situation. It's all coach speak anyway. If those guys want to come and Tyndall thinks they can help, he should sign them up.

JMO.

Reactions: 12 people
I wouldn't think basketball would take 3 or 4 years to right the ship. One good recruiting call can have you in business.

Reactions: 3 people
I never heard Tyndall "swear" he wouldn't poach recruits from USM. In the interview I listened to yesterday he said he owed it to USM to encourage those players to honor their commitments. He then added that of they didn't, he would evaluate the situation. It's all coach speak anyway. If those guys want to come and Tyndall thinks they can help, he should sign them up.

JMO.

Good point Freak. It was an exaggeration to say he "swore".

It`s not like these players who are decomitting are world class playmakers...We are going to need some 4 and [or] 5* players to play with the bigboys.

He had a bunch of guys he was recruiting at Southern Miss that were not committed or signed. The list is Keith Thomas, Tevin Glass, Arkeem Joseph, Obinna Oleka, and Octavius Ellis. None of these guys are point guards but one could easily take the scholarship given up by Cornish. Tyndall will get a point guard it is just a matter of time. We've lost two today may get three back in return. I suspect they will all be jucos.

Our fan base is embarrassing. Go back a year ago and read how disappointed everybody was that CCM recruiting class were 3 star guys. Now they decommitt and its all DT fault. Honestly, I don't blame recruits for leaving. IMO its all about the relationship you have with the coach not the school itself.

Reactions: 4 people
As far as the signed players if someone wants out he gets a release. Once he gets a release he is fair game. I can think of a couple of guys they have that want releases and when and if granted Tyndall would just be giving them a new home. He wouldn't be taking a signed player.

CDT took the job. He was hired to make the decisions for the program. Gotta roll with what he decides to do as he is the one answering for it. If he let all the recruits out of their LOI if that is what they wanted, I say good for him. Rather have kids in Orange who want to be in Orange. Do what ya gotta do Donnie.

The biggest thing we need next year is realistic expectations. Cuonzo was a good teacher, but he didn't leave the cupboard very well stocked. (This is arguably one reason why he may have bolted.) To lose some of his recruits is not that surprising, as his style of play is different from Tyndall's.

I like what I've seen from Tyndall thus far, but we also have to be realistic that it's probably going to take 3-4 years to right the ship. If we make the NCAA tourney in the next couple of years, we're exceeding expectations.

College basketball doesn't require three years to rebuild! Or two for pete's sake...just got finished arguing with my nephew on this! And I thought I hadn't watched enough basketball these last three years :yuck:

VN Store

Back