Tyndall's buyout

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
After the issue over the buyout with White (and Martin for that matter), was anyone surprised by the buyout numbers for Tyndall? They are a tad higher than I expected.

$3 million through March 15, 2017
$1.7 million through March 15, 2018
$1.5 million after Match 15, 2018

Yeah that's a little higher than I expected. Was looking for 2 mil/1mil area

Edit- if white wanted more than that, maybe Hart saved us from a very bad decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
He must have impressed Hart enough to give CDT a 6 year contract with a buyout of that amount. I think that D Hart was looking for stability more than a quick fix. This might be why he low balled White.

Hart made the better hire and may have given White an offer he knew White would refuse.

So, it technically drops to 1.7 after the third season. Not small, but not exactly ridiculously high either.

Freak sorry for this question as it may be clear to others but are these numbers the "buyout" if another team tries to hire him?

I thought the "buyout" for when TN fires the coach early is usually phrased as a percentage (such as 60% of the remaining monies owed under the contract).

He must have impressed Hart enough to give CDT a 6 year contract with a buyout of that amount. I think that D Hart was looking for stability more than a quick fix. This might be why he low balled White.

Hart made the better hire and may have given White an offer he knew White would refuse.

What would be accomplished by calling White just to offer him something to reject?

Freak sorry for this question as it may be clear to others but are these numbers the "buyout" if another team tries to hire him?

I thought the "buyout" for when TN fires the coach early is usually phrased as a percentage (such as 60% of the remaining monies owed under the contract).

It goes both ways. IF UT fires him or another team hires him/he walks away, the buyout is the same amount.

I think it works both ways. If the coach leaves then he owes the University the buyout (like Martin/Cal owe the University $1.3 million for leaving). It UT fires the coach then UT owes the coach the buyout.

I would guess White turned down the same type of deal(I think talk was his was 5 years). IF all White asked for was make it 6 years, IMO he would have been hired. Per the "sources", I think he wanted his buyout more than 1.75 in year 4, and more than 1.5 in year 5/6.

What would be accomplished by calling White just to offer him something to reject?

Hart stated that he knew within an hour of the interview that Tyndall was the right choice.

Not sure what he did with White, but I am just assuming that if somewhere in the process, he decided that White was not going to workout he may have just decided that he wasn't going to cave in and hire White, so he didn't come off of his Buy out amount.

Did Hart keep the Buy-out option low with Martin to force that move or not? Who knows. Did he do the same with White? Who knows?

I did not expect to see Tyndall's Buy-out this high when it was rumored that White's Buy-out was 2 Mil at the 2 year mark.

Last edited:

Yep. What the other guys said. There are two sets of buyout numbers. These buyout figures are what Tennessee owes him should they fire him.

In this particular case, the numbers are exactly the same if he chooses to leave.

JimmyHyams: Tue 03:26pm I'm told UT offered La. Tech's Michael White a buyout of between $2.5-3 million, not the $1 million that has been reported.

Interesting.

If Hart decided not to hire White, all he'd have to do is rescind an unaccepted offer or not make an offer, depending on the situation.

Last edited:
JimmyHyams: Tue 03:26pm I'm told UT offered La. Tech's Michael White a buyout of between $2.5-3 million, not the $1 million that has been reported.

Interesting.

Very interesting indeed.

Could be White wanted the buyout lowered so he could move on to another job. ( ole Miss)

JimmyHyams: Tue 06:10pm UT AD Dave Hart indicated the story that Michael White said no to UT due to buyout issue was untrue. Hart said his buyout `template' was ...

JimmyHyams: Tue 06:11pm ...the one signed by Tundall -- $3 million buyout if fired or left UT prior to March 15, 2017; $1.75M if parted ways March 2017-18, $1.5M ..

Interesting.

Surely that refers to giving him less than three full seasons. I can't imagine UT going that high where they ended up giving Tyndall 1.7.

Interesting.

This is interesting. I did understand that the 2 yr mark of the Buy-out was a concern.

Interesting.

Jmo

I think Hart knew very soon after the search began Tyndall wanted the job and what it would cost.

He saw white as very similar, but younger and didn't have the NCAA baggage so was gonna see if he could get him for less. It was rumored his deal was $1.3/5years which means the buyout was also probably lower.

I'm guessing when it became clear Hart wasn't going to get him cheaper Hart went back to the guy with the more proven resume.

JimmyHyams: Tue 06:10pm UT AD Dave Hart indicated the story that Michael White said no to UT due to buyout issue was untrue. Hart said his buyout `template' was ...

JimmyHyams: Tue 06:11pm ...the one signed by Tundall -- $3 million buyout if fired or left UT prior to March 15, 2017; $1.75M if parted ways March 2017-18, $1.5M ..

I suppose we'll never know the full truth.
Perhaps Tyndall and White will be direct competitors again in a year.

Maybe White wanted his buyout to be:

If he were fired from UT in years 1-3, he gets 3 million.
If he were fired in year 4, 1.75 million. Year 5-6, 1.5 million.

IF he were to leave UT on his own in years 1-3, he owes nothing. In year 4, nothing, Years 5-6, nothing.

:question:

Here's out the buyout is presented in the MOU for those who are curious and haven't seen it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.26.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.26.11 PM.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 16

VN Store

Back