200-106 vs 61-41

SeniorDrill

Donnie Tyndall comes to Tennessee with a 200-106 coaching record while Cuonzo Martin came with a 61-41 coaching record. Quite an improvement by Dave Hart for Vol fans on a limited budget ($1.9 million reserve)!

Reactions: 8 people
Let's get to our coach recruiting and teaching...maybe a new forum can be set up for the Cuonzo disciples rehashing petition rants ad nauseum. :no:

I did not know anything about Tyndall prior to this coaching search, but the more I read about him and the more I hear him talk (he described his teams' stye of play as "relentless ad attacking"), I'm hoping we just got the BB equivant of Butch. And hey, I believe Tyndall is also from Michigan.

Reactions: 3 people
I did not know anything about Tyndall prior to this coaching search, but the more I read about him and the more I hear him talk (he described his teams' stye of play as "relentless ad attacking"), I'm hoping we just got the BB equivant of Butch. And hey, I believe Tyndall is also from Michigan.

Might as well like him he's our coach now. Hope he does well. Can we stop attacking CCM though? Let it be he's gone wish him the best and move on.

Reactions: 5 people
I am so glad that everybody or at least quite a few of you recognize we don't have the reserves we once had. It really affects the process

Reactions: 1 person
Tyndall brings a record of consistent success on the road.
Also, his team exposes the foolishness of a Post Season Tournament, superseding the entire body of work during a season.
His team finished with 27 wins and an RPI of 29 and the 21 game winner RPI 79 tulsa went to the NCAA by winning 3 games in tourney.
Think we were screwed?

Also, his team exposes the foolishness of a Post Season Tournament, superseding the entire body of work during a season.
His team finished with 27 wins and an RPI of 29 and the 21 game winner RPI 79 tulsa went to the NCAA by winning 3 games in tourney.
Think we were screwed?

He's a good coach, just gotta give him some time. Next year will be a rebuilding year.

I personally think it's a bit heavy-handed to count his 1996-97 Juco season. It was 10 years later that he actually began his head coaching career.

I also don't think that this statistic alone says what needs to be said. But for those who do:

170-101 (.627)
61-41 (.598)

Frankly, I've never heard of Tyndall, hell, I'd never heard of Cuonzo either. I'd never heard of White from La Tech. I'd never heard of Derek Dooley. Hell, I had marginally heard of Butch Jones, but he wasn't a stand-out by any means. Get the drift? Hart keeps hiring stiffs. Having said all that, I'm hoping for the best with Tyndall, seems like a nice enough guy.

Think we were screwed?
Well, yeah. Tulsa went to the NCAA tournament because they won the conference tourney.

But Tyndall did a great job nevertheless. Let's see if it translates here.

I personally think it's a bit heavy-handed to count his 1996-97 Juco season. It was 10 years later that he actually began his head coaching career.

I also don't think that this statistic alone says what needs to be said. But for those who do:

170-101 (.627)
61-41 (.598)

Why wouldn't it count?

He was the head coach, right?

Reactions: 4 people
How is counzo a joke of coach? Please explain.

Underachieved for 85-90% of his tenure here, never got fired up on the sidelines or fought for his team (see maymon's technical for example), couldn't take the pressure when he started failing and got extremely lucky so he was able to move down to a worse program to avoid being fired or pressured more.

Oh, and the whole, leaving without telling his players thing. (sure he came back after, but that's like having your friend file divorce papers for you and your wife then talking to her after the trial).

Take your pick. I'm sure others could chime in for more.

Underachieved for 85-90% of his tenure here, never got fired up on the sidelines or fought for his team (see maymon's technical for example), couldn't take the pressure when he started failing and got extremely lucky so he was able to move down to a worse program to avoid being fired or pressured more.

wow so much wrong with that post. At the end of the season you could point to one where he underachieved as a whole. One was over and one was right where everyone figured

Reactions: 5 people
wow so much wrong with that post. At the end of the season you could point to one where he underachieved as a whole. One was over and one was right where everyone figured

Not much wrong with the post. His teams consistently lost to teams he should've beaten. He ALWAYS had to put runs together at the end of the year, and twice came up short anyway. Had he "met" expectations he would've been in the tourney all three years.

We have a new, better coach, and he's costing us less than cuonzo would've this year. Hop on board and deal with it.

Reactions: 2 people
Not much wrong with the post. His teams consistently lost to teams he should've beaten. He ALWAYS had to put runs together at the end of the year, and twice came up short anyway. Had he "met" expectations he would've been in the tourney all three years.

We have a new, better coach, and he's costing us less than cuonzo would've this year. Hop on board and deal with it.

his first year exceeded expectations. Not sure there's much debate over that if you look at where they were predicted to finish. His second year was a disappointment but this past year he finished about where everyone figured. People put way too much emphasis on individual games in basketball

my comments had nothing to do with the new HC

Reactions: 4 people
his first year exceeded expectations. Not sure there's much debate over that if you look at where they were predicted to finish. His second year was a disappointment but this past year he finished about where everyone figured. People put way too much emphasis on individual games in basketball

Austin Peay 74 - UT 70

Laughing at the idea of Martin exceeding expectations in yr one because some random dude that couldn't name a starter picked them low. Didn't have anything to do with picking low due to a coaching change. And don't consider a top player in UT history arrived and showed skill at Ky that Martin handcuffed for 2 yrs. Overachieve my ass. Go NIT. Reach for the stars.

People are absolutely brainwashed at this point. I understand not liking Martin, but it's pretty obvious when someone is legitimately criticizing vs. being ignorant.

Laughing at the idea of Martin exceeding expectations in yr one because some random dude that couldn't name a starter picked them low. Didn't have anything to do with picking low due to a coaching change. And don't consider a top player in UT history arrived and showed skill at Ky that Martin handcuffed for 2 yrs. Overachieve my ass. Go NIT. Reach for the stars.

random dude = media poll? Maybe you're right and they couldn't name a starter since there were no Vols represented on the preseason teams. I'm sure it was simply because they didn't know what we had

Frankly, I've never heard of Tyndall, hell, I'd never heard of Cuonzo either. I'd never heard of White from La Tech. I'd never heard of Derek Dooley. Hell, I had marginally heard of Butch Jones, but he wasn't a stand-out by any means. Get the drift? Hart keeps hiring stiffs. Having said all that, I'm hoping for the best with Tyndall, seems like a nice enough guy.

Bet you BUMP INTO THINGS every morning. :blink:

VN Store

Back