Same as Pearl

PerneVedisUncool

All you people pissing and moaning about this new hire need to calm down and try using your heads. Every1 is complaining that we got a no name coach from a mid major and that we want pearl back.... Pearl was a no name coach from a mid major. I'm sure all of you wrote the same thing when he was hired and 6 months later you were his biggest fan. Why don't you all just take a breath and let this guy coach a game before you all freak out. He has a great track record and one very similar to Pearls. Do you think Billy Donavan was just born at the age of 30 and was Floridas coach? All great coaches come from lower programs. Just give him a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 people
All you people pissing and moaning about this new hire need to calm down and try using your heads. Every1 is complaining that we got a no name coach from a mid major and that we want pearl back.... Pearl was a no name coach from a mid major. I'm sure all of you wrote the same thing when he was hired and 6 months later you were his biggest fan. Why don't you all just take a breathe and let this guy coach a game before you all freak out. He has a great track record and one very similar to Pearls. Do you think Billy Donavan was just born at the age of 30 and was Floridas coach? All great coaches come from lower programs. Just give him a chance.
:toast::good!::good!::good!::good!::good!::good!:

All you people pissing and moaning about this new hire need to calm down and try using your heads. Every1 is complaining that we got a no name coach from a mid major and that we want pearl back.... Pearl was a no name coach from a mid major. I'm sure all of you wrote the same thing when he was hired and 6 months later you were his biggest fan. Why don't you all just take a breathe and let this guy coach a game before you all freak out. He has a great track record and one very similar to Pearls. Do you think Billy Donavan was just born at the age of 30 and was Floridas coach? All great coaches come from lower programs. Just give him a chance.

Good post, but you almost lost my attention at "Every1"

Reactions: 3 people
If coach Tyndall comes in with a lot of grit,confidence and passion for the job the fan base as a whole will give him the time he needs.Just gotta get some wins after that and the rest of the fans will follow.Go Vols and HTTR!!

And before anyone says it, I could not give less of a **** about what he did in Division II.

Honestly, Tyndall is the closest thing to Pearl that we could have hired. People who liked Pearl's personality and salesmanship will like Tyndall if he can win here. He turned around Morehead after Kyle Macy wet the bed, and succeeded at Southern Miss. His track record points in the right direction. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
All you people pissing and moaning about this new hire need to calm down and try using your heads. Every1 is complaining that we got a no name coach from a mid major and that we want pearl back.... Pearl was a no name coach from a mid major. I'm sure all of you wrote the same thing when he was hired and 6 months later you were his biggest fan. Why don't you all just take a breath and let this guy coach a game before you all freak out. He has a great track record and one very similar to Pearls. Do you think Billy Donavan was just born at the age of 30 and was Floridas coach? All great coaches come from lower programs. Just give him a chance.

Please refrain from making sense in your posts. You will get a lot of blank stares.

Reactions: 2 people
Bruce Pearl was not exactly a "no name" coach when he came to UT. He was the hottest coaching prospect out there at the time having had great success already with his Wisconsin-Milwaukee team at the Big Dance. The hype from the national media at the time was tremendous, much greater than anything that's been said about Tyndall so far. Vol fans everywhere jumped on the Bruce Almighty bandwagon by the time his plane touched down in Knoxville. But, I think it's premature and unfair to burden Donnie Tyndall with Pearl-like expectations before he's even been introduced as our new coach. He may have a similar background, but it's unclear at this point whether he'll have the same dynamic as Bruce Pearl once he dons the orange jacket. Hoping for the best, but not expecting anything resembling greatness before the man's even had time to establish himself as the UT basketball head coach.

Reactions: 2 people
Bruce Pearl was not exactly a "no name" coach when he came to UT. He was the hottest coaching prospect out there at the time having had great success already with his Wisconsin-Milwaukee team at the Big Dance.

Yeah, this.

It gets old constantly reading about how Pearl came out of nowhere or was some complete unknown. People seem to write the same thing every time we hire a coach (Dooley, Jones).

I don't know if people just have selective memories or if they honestly weren't paying attention at the time. Pearl was the hottest coaching candidate right then and UT was lucky that they were the only major opening at that point in time.

Bruce Pearl was not exactly a "no name" coach when he came to UT. He was the hottest coaching prospect out there at the time having had great success already with his Wisconsin-Milwaukee team at the Big Dance. The hype from the national media at the time was tremendous, much greater than anything that's been said about Tyndall so far. Vol fans everywhere jumped on the Bruce Almighty bandwagon by the time his plane touched down in Knoxville. But, I think it's premature and unfair to burden Donnie Tyndall with Pearl-like expectations before he's even been introduced as our new coach. He may have a similar background, but it's unclear at this point whether he'll have the same dynamic as Bruce Pearl once he dons the orange jacket. Hoping for the best, but not expecting anything resembling greatness before the man's even had time to establish himself as the UT basketball head coach.

You're either too young to remember Pearl's arrival or so old you've forgotten about it.

What actually happened is most people said "Damn! We went cheap again. We should've kept Buzz." then Tyler Smith left and Gordon committed to Miss State, Pearl told Matthew Dotson UT wasn't a fit, and it got even worse. People weren't on the Pearl bandwagon until he started winning, a lot. There was even a now legendary article by a Vandy homer about the death of UT basketball because we ran off a good man like Buzz.

Reactions: 3 people
Honestly, Tyndall is the closest thing to Pearl that we could have hired. People who liked Pearl's personality and salesmanship will like Tyndall if he can win here. He turned around Morehead after Kyle Macy wet the bed, and succeeded at Southern Miss. His track record points in the right direction. Time will tell.

Including the AA violations.

Give the guy a chance. First step is we need to recruit some bodies to Knoxville. He will get an early chance to mold this team as he wants rather than using other coach's talent. For the next three years, this year's class of recruits may well make or break him.

This. Bp was the guy to get at the time n mh got it done. Hart doesn't care about bb he only wants it to win enough to cover bb expenses n he hope cbj wins n no one cares about bb..

This hire in no way compares to bp hire sorry op ..BTW I did not want pearl back.

Great post SE. We must take Bruce out of the equationthis time. Granted Tyndall has a roster that many feel will not be able to compete to the level we would like, but he needs time just like CCM. I believe he will be much more fan friendly which will be a plus from the start. I look at him more like a Butch Jones guy. Both grew up 40 miles apart in MI.

VN Store

Back