How much will Hart allow for assistants?

bleedingTNorange

It appears Martin's 3 assistants got around $600k, and that was likely gonna go up a little in the new deal. Martin was gonna be signing a new deal for $1.8m/yr.

Tyndall's deal is reportedly $1.6m/yr, or $200k less than Zo was set to receive. The $1.3m buyout, when subtracting $500k that you have to pay USM, leaves you $800k positive.

I would like to see Hart put that towards the assistant pool, and give Tyndall roughly $1m for his 3 assistants. You would have a total coaching salary of $2.6m verse Martin's $2.4m, however it's about equal with the buyout.

Point being, if you give Tyndall that much to work with, he could hire some phenomenal assistants, and establish a very good recruiting staff.

Jmo

Reactions: 2 people
I would put the 800k back in the emergency fund since it is about 45 million dollars too low for the SEC. I would offer the assistants a reasonable package with a very attractive incentive deal so they will work and produce for their raises. They start packing the house they will be compensated well.

Can you offer an assistant an incentive that if he signs a 5 star he gets a bonus?

Buck $2.95 a piece.

What's actually funny about this Dave Hart actually found a way to profit from Cuonzo leaving.

For me it would depend on what his assistant plans were. IF he wants to go out and hire new guys, I would be fine with giving him plenty of $ to work with. IF he plans on bringing his guys with him from USM, I would not even consider giving him the million bucks. There is no way in the world his guys were making anywhere near what Zo's were, even at 600 grand.

Reactions: 1 person
He wants to bring most of his staff with him.

If that is the case, I would think the same 600 grand Zo's staff was making would be sufficient for their 1st contracts. I really doubt they were making anywhere near 200 grand a piece at USM. Very likely a move to UT doubles their salary.

Hart can put the money in the bank.

according to VQ he will not be bringing his entire staff, his staff not being set last night is their reasoning for this. Apparently Dave Hart made it very clear in talks that he wanted a guy who was gonna nail it recruiting, similar fl Butch, so a staff was needed for that.

The only sure hire appears to be DOBO Justin Phelps, he has been with Tyndall awhile and has some of the best connections in the JUCO business from his time working JUCO camps. That's why you see able to quickly rebuild at places, and hitting the JUCO ranks hard.

This part is more speculation by Hubbs, but he said 2 names to watch are Butch Pierre and Al Pinkins. Pierre and Tyndall know each other from their days at LSU and Pierre is thought of as an excellent recruiter. Pinkins is currently at Oklahoma State, but the ties to Tyndall are from their time together at MTSU.

according to VQ he will not be bringing his entire staff, his staff not being set last night is their reasoning for this. Apparently Dave Hart made it very clear in talks that he wanted a guy who was gonna nail it recruiting, similar fl Butch, so a staff was needed for that.

The only sure hire appears to be DOBO Justin Phelps, he has been with Tyndall awhile and has some of the best connections in the JUCO business from his time working JUCO camps. That's why you see able to quickly rebuild at places, and hitting the JUCO ranks hard.

This part is more speculation by Hubbs, but he said 2 names to watch are Butch Pierre and Al Pinkins. Pierre and Tyndall know each other from their days at LSU and Pierre is thought of as an excellent recruiter. Pinkins is currently at Oklahoma State, but the ties to Tyndall are from their time together at MTSU.

If he could hire at least 1 assistant who has recently done well recruiting in the southeast(top talent), I'd be all for it. I like staff continuity, but a hired gun can be a good thing.

(Example being Tommy Thigpen for Butch Jones).

If he could hire at least 1 assistant who has recently done well recruiting in the southeast(top talent), I'd be all for it. I like staff continuity, but a hired gun can be a good thing.

(Example being Tommy Thigpen for Butch Jones).

Pinkins would be a great hire...

Pinkins came to Oxford after eight seasons at Middle Tennessee. He was involved in all aspects of the Blue Raiders program, particularly recruiting throughout the South and developing the post players.

Pinkins was instrumental in the development of two-time, first-team All-Sun Belt Conference forward Desmond Yates, who reached the 1,000-point club as a junior. Pinkins also helped develop 6-foot-10 center Theryn Hudson into one of Middle Tennessee's all-time leaders in field goal percentage and tops in the Sun Belt in 2007-08.

Pinkins helped shape the Blue Raiders' recent success in recruiting. He played a key role in landing a 2007 signing class rated No. 1 in the Sun Belt and No. 48 nationally by HoopScoop. The class also was rated the 13th-best among mid-majors nationally by Rivals.com.

According to VQ word out of Stillwater, OK is there has already been contact and they're very worried that Pierre might leave OKST for Tennessee.

CDT doin work already...

Would be about unheard of for him to have his staff in place before the presser, but would be a big deal to be able to say he does and they are ready to go to work.

I do expect it will be a few days before that all plays out.

So everyone from his current staff is coming, but admits they may not have same title, has some names to contact the next 48-72 hours.

Sounding like he's definitely gonna try to hire at least 1, if not 2 ace recruiters with southern ties, smart man.

VN Store

Back