Mike Woodson is now available

drewtigeralum

I wonder if he would be interesting in giving college coaching a spin. At least he doesn't have a buy out, and probably has enough Knicks money in the bank that he doesn't need a huge salary.

Woodson would be a home run hire. He could certainly sell his NBA experience to recruits. I know the chances are probably 0, but can you think of any other strictly NBA coaches coming down the college level?

Mike is a good man. I followed his collegiate basketball career at Indiana. If not for a back problem, he would have been a star in the NBA for several years.

A home run hire? Seriously?

he may not be realistic but definitely think it would be a home run - played for bobby knight at IU, was a lottery pick, NBA experience as a player, 10+ years as asst and HC

dont really see that he spent any time in college once he went to the NBA so likely not very realistic but if I were Hart I'd definitely make the phone call

Reactions: 2 people
Honestly this is a slim to none chance, but I agree with what you're saying. This guy was a strong contender for coach of the year last year, and had to handle divas like Amare and Melo. I think he'd be a great coach at any level.

And don't give me that: "Oh we'll college is a different game, you've got to recruit"
You tell me some high school kid that has NBA aspirations doesn't want to be coached by an actual NBA coach. Not to mention the fact that he was at such a big team like the Knicks and that he's been on ESPN for the past 2 years guarantees you that most of the kids ( if not all) know who he is.

Like I said there's almost 0 chance of this happening, but I don't understand why Universities don't go after former NBA coaches more often.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, discussing hypothetical basketball coaches you have admitted to having 0 realistic chance of actually signing on a sports message board is abnormal at best.

So it's normal to discuss hypotheticals that have zero chance of happening? Not where I live bud but hey have at it.

So it's normal to discuss hypotheticals that have zero chance of happening? Not where I live bud but hey have at it.

Seems like any Gregg Marshall or Shaka Smart thread would fall in the same category of discussion. I just thought it was interesting that a bunch of NBA coaches and coaches and coaches from their staffs are about to hit the market, Mike Woodson just being one example. It appears that U.T.'s coaching pool choices have become rather shallow. Would it hurt to try fishing in another pond. I mean, having Mike Woodson say no thanks wouldn't be as bad a La. Tech's head coach saying no thanks.

Seems like any Gregg Marshall or Shaka Smart thread would fall in the same category of discussion. I just thought it was interesting that a bunch of NBA coaches and coaches and coaches from their staffs are about to hit the market, Mike Woodson just being one example. It appears that U.T.'s coaching pool choices have become rather shallow. Would it hurt to try fishing in another pond. I mean, having Mike Woodson say no thanks wouldn't be as bad a La. Tech's head coach saying no thanks.

Woodson will never be a college coach and if you don't get that then you are lost

Woodson will never be a college coach and if you don't get that then you are lost

"I just thought it was interesting that a bunch of NBA coaches and coaches and coaches from their staffs are about to hit the market, Mike Woodson just being one example."

You're right, and I believe I've mentioned that in every post I've made on the subject.

Seeing as he doesnt have an ounce of college coaching experience and the fact that he's a terrible NBA coach......whats not to love?

Look at he teams he's been associated with. The guy just loses. Quick career highlights.

IU win title year before he arrives, and year after he leaves
Played on some of the worst teams in NBA history (kings)
Coached the worst team in NBA history 04 Hawks

VN Store

Back