If you have to choose...

White. There is a reason no one is biting on Howland. I'm not sure what it is, but no one seems to want any part of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Would you take White or Howland?

For me it depends. I like that White has a lot of things going for him that IMO sets him up well to succeed early at UT. Howland has a great resume but a lot of ?'s surrounding his situation. Only way I take Howland over White today is IF Howland were willing to take the job at less than 1.6 Million a year and UT has the buyout slanted very much in its favor. I doubt that would be an option so White makes the most sense to me. As much as I like White, I would not pay him more than 1.3 a year.

It just shows you that UT's admin is more concerned with public perception than they are with winning, which is fine if that's what you want. Auburn hired Pearl along with his red flags and Louisville rehired Bobby Petrino after his incident, Ben Howland should have been introduced as UT's new bball coach by now.

Reactions: 5 people
Howland is an upgrade over Martin, White is, well, he may or may not be an upgrade and will probably need some time to grow into the job.

Howland would be very similar to the Bruce Pearl hire. He is an established coach who can be had for cheap because of some serious baggage. If Howland has his crap together he would be the better choice by far.

Reactions: 1 person
Given the unknowns with Howland, I have to vote White. If I am in Hart's situation, and know a lot about Howland, then I might give him a shot. However, we have been in the basketball wilderness long enough over the last two decades. Let's go with the safer bet.

Reactions: 1 person
WOW! This is UT. We run people out of town, but we replace them with the same mediocre prospects. If we are going to act like a big time school we must hire like one! Otherwise, quit bellyaching. Demand better!

If I knew Howland was clean, no brainer for Howland.

However, it appears there's something keeping him from getting a job outside of his coaching accomplishments.

He's about to turn 57 in a few weeks and knows he only has 10 years or so to make as much money as possible, thus throwing his name in the hat for multiple jobs. But no one hiring him seems to indicate that he has big time issues.

The fact that Auburn hired Pearl over him says enough. Howland has the better resume but it appears that his off the court issues still make him more toxic than Bruce. Which is understandable, as Bruce's known violations were extremely minor.

White.

Howland is basically blackballed for reasons unknown. That's way too big of risk without knowing why/what is behind it.

Reactions: 2 people
Howland is a no brainer, but White has a lot to offer.

Opinion, Bruce at Auburn.

How many years do you think that he will be shun from the NCAAT with a borderline record before Auburn goes to the NCAA again.

IOW, do you think that there is not some discussion of coaches in the committee room.

Would this be a discussion if Howland was our coach.

With White I think we get the close call with Howland, I don't.

Howland is an upgrade over Martin, White is, well, he may or may not be an upgrade and will probably need some time to grow into the job.

Howland would be very similar to the Bruce Pearl hire. He is an established coach who can be had for cheap because of some serious baggage. If Howland has his crap together he would be the better choice by far.

Howland requires a well above average staff to succeed. He's not a quality hire.

White.

Howland is basically blackballed for reasons unknown. That's way too big of risk without knowing why/what is behind it.

I'm sure Hart can determine if there's anything to it or whatever with a few phone calls to those in the know about such things if they exist. I remember how good the Bruins were in 2006.

White. He is a hungry rising star. There has to be more going on with Howland than is made public or he would already have a job.

VN Store

Back