Coaching Search Summary as of 7:47pm Friday Evening

bleedingTNorange

I figured it would be nice to have somewhere for those who maybe don't read every single page, of every thread to have a summarized version as to what has taken place over the last 3+ days. When news first broke of Martin leaving for Cal the initial "Coaching Hot Board's" had quite a few names as you would expect, I may have forgotten 1 or 2, but heres most of them:

Gregg Marshall (Wichita State)
Shaka Smart (VCU)
Lawrence Frank(BKN Nets)
Tom Crean (Indiana)
Ben Howland (former UCLA)
Archie Miller (Dayton)
Tad Boyle (Colorado)
Rick Byrd (Belmont)
Michael White (Louisiana Tech)
Donnie Tyndall (Southern Miss)
Allan Houston (Knicks frontoffice)
Tim Miles (Nebraska)
Chris Mack (Xavier)
Tubby Smith (Texas Tech)
Mick Cronin (Cincinnati)
Will Wade (UT-Chattanooga)
Brad Brownell (Clemson)
Chris Mooney (Richmond)
Richard Pitino (Minnesota)

So after 3 days where do things stand? Well, there hasn't been a whole lot of concrete information come out as far as X candidate saying they're definitely interested or Y candidate saying they're definitely not interested. There has been some statements from AD's, but as we know that doesn't always mean the coach feels the same way.

From this point forward is not fact, it is speculation on my part which I will provide quotes and links for some, and what I truly believe has happened. As I mentioned above though, unless a coach says it themselves, and sometimes even if a coach says it, doesn't necessarily mean it is true. So, with that said...

Money is a major issue: and not in a good way. According to volquest.com multiple sources indicated to them that Tennessee could've gotten Gregg Marshall or Tad Boyle to the negotiating table if they were willing to pay north of $2 million. Dave Hart doesn't feel that Tennessee is in a financial position to pay that much for a basketball coach, so you likely can eliminate those 2 names. I would also include Shaka Smart into that same group as well as you're not going to get Shaka Smart for less than $2.5 million in my opinion. Include Tom Crean into this as it would take well over $2 million to attract him as well.

No Thanks: that seems to be what Dave Hart has said to both Tubby Smith and Ben Howland. Both reportedly reached out to Tennessee to make them aware of their interest, but as of right now it doesn't appear that it goes both ways. Tubby Smith I would imagine because of how he left Minnesota, and Ben Howland because of the NCAA issues that appear to be haunting him.

He's not interested....says the AD in regards to Richard Pitino. Now the question becomes, do you believe Pitino told his AD this, or do you believe his AD took it upon himself to say this? Speculation seems to be that it is indeed the case, as this would be Pitino's 3rd job in as many years, and that isn't exactly appealing to him. Still, Tennessee is expected to reach out to him, and want to hear first hand from him that he's not interested.

A couple on Cincy boys...are very interested, at least according to Wes Rucker of 247. Chris Mack of Xavier and Mick Cronin of Cincinnati have both responded to Tennessee and let them know they are interested in the opening. The odd thing here is that both coach at their alma mater, so on the surface you wouldn't expect either to make the move. However...In Mack's case he plays in a Big East that seems to be falling apart by the day, and he makes less than $1/yr reportedly. As for Cronin, he's playing in a solid conference, but has been fighting for years to try and get upgrades done for his program, no such luck to date. It's also rumored that he hasn't signed the new extension that was offered to him months ago, and his current salary is around $1.5 million. Cronin could be a case of Buzz Williams, takes similar or less money, at possibly a worse school in a better conference for the chance to make it big there with more support.

It's Miller time...I'm talking about Archie Miller. On the surface you see a guy at a mid major in Dayton, whos rumored to be making between $600-$800k on the deal he signed in February. Nobody knows his buyout, but I would assume it's a decent amount as he just signed the deal 2 months ago. Could Tennessee afford Miller? absolutely. However, Archie also likely realizes what Tennessee has at this point. He sees a tough job next year ahead of him, where as at Dayton he's one more good year away from being the next Brad Stevens (ok not quite, but you get the point). I expect Tennessee to reach out to Miller, and try to engage in some serious talks, but at the end of the day I would be surprised if they are able to pull him.

The great C-USA...that's where all the great coaches start at right? Well anyways, Michael White and Donnie Tyndall. These 2 are both serious candidates and have reportedly let Tennessee know they are indeed interested. Both should be available pretty cheap, which if you read the part about money being an issue these 2 have to be very appealing to Hart. Both of these guys make around $600k with about the same buyout, so for what Cal owes you on Martin you can buyout one of these guys and may the majority of their first year salary.

No Phil Jackson?...it appears not, or any other NBA tie for that matter. I doubt Allan Houston was every really an option, but hey his name was out there so thought I would address it. Lawrence Frank is a name that seems to always get thrown around with Tennessee fans, but reality is he seems to be a NBA lifer, so moving on.

Homegrown Heroes...talking about Will Wade and Rick Byrd. Wade coaches right down the road at UTC, and Byrd is a Tennessee grad who has been at Belmont for what seems like at least 100 years. While Tennessee has reached out to both to at least gauge interest, it doesn't appear the coaching search will fall far enough for either to really become a likely candidate.

So who's left...Tim Miles, Brad Brownell and Chris Mooney. Never really thought Tim Miles was a legitimate candidate. He's currently making $1.4 million and I'm sure that's getting ready to go up with the job he did last year. That means Tennessee would likely have to offer up at least $2 million and I really don't see him being the guy Hart would offer that much up to. Miles has also leaked out through a few national media outlets that he's not interested, and even the day of Martin leaving let it known he wasn't interested. As for the other 2, it doesn't appear Tennessee has reached out to either as Mooney seemingly missed the elevator on being a hot name, and Brownell has struggled in recent years, have to imagine both are far down the list.

So, what has happened in 3 days? (once again this is speculation on my part based on reports out there and some educated guessing)....on the surface not a whole lot, but really exactly what you thought would go on appears to have. Dave Hart has had people in his office reach out to probably anywhere from 25-50 names across the country to gauge interest. Get numbers as far as salaries, buyouts, and just an overall gauge of interest as well. As I mentioned in the beginning money is clearly an issue, so that's something that im sure was addressed in most of the phone calls to bigger names.

So weeding through all of this, I feel pretty confident (which in a coaching search means nothing) that Dave Hart is likely down to about 4-6 realistic candidates, and that the next coach will come from this list.

Michael White
Donnie Tyndall
Chris Mack
Richard Pitino
Mick Cronin
Archie Miller

What it very well could come down to is money. In order of accomplishments Chris Mack, Mick Cronin, Archie Miller, Donnie Tyndall, Michael White and Richard Pitino imo. If Dave Hart feels he can get either of the 1st two names for under $1.8 million that's likely your guy, if neither is willing to leave their alma mater for the price then it will fall down the list in my opinion. I could also see a scenario where Michael White's southern ties, and inexpensive ticket price are very appealing and Dave Hart interviews him before anyone else. If he nails the interview I could see him being offered the job before even trying with Mack or Cronin.

Sorry for the length of this post, kind of ended up turning into a complete rant, but i'll try to make the next update (if there is one) a bit shorter:)

Reactions: 88 people
Bump.

Looks like this got merged somehow but I split back out.

Reactions: 4 people
Thanks BTO , I hope you are wrong about the money part though . I was really hoping for Shaka Smart . I know it's a long shot , but he was at the top of my wishlist

Reactions: 2 people
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of giving Richard Pitino a shot, assuming the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He's quite young and could use a bit more seasoning before taking on the job at UT, but the name value alone should play well on the recruiting circuit. All this speculation is for naught, of course, if Hart somehow manages to reel in a top tier candidate. In any case, I believe the fan base will be able to get behind our next coach more than they ever could for Cuonzo.

A question on the money issue. How can UT, with its television contracts, stadium/arena size and a buyout, not afford to compensate a basketball coach in the top half of the SEC. Put another way, with our vastly superior football revenue and similarly paid football coaches, how can UK still afford to pay 3x what we can for a basketball coach?

Reactions: 1 person
How can Florida afford to pay 4 and we cannot pay 2? The lack of vision by the powers that be makes me sick. The infrastructure and fanbase are in place --just like in football-- to support a top 10 program. The lack of leadership in regards to Athletics at UTK is downright disappointing at an almost tragic level.

Reactions: 6 people
A question on the money issue. How can UT, with its television contracts, stadium/arena size and a buyout, not afford to compensate a basketball coach in the top half of the SEC. Put another way, with our vastly superior football revenue and similarly paid football coaches, how can UK still afford to pay 3x what we can for a basketball coach?
UK is the one school in the conference that makes bank solely off basketball.

I figured it would be nice to have somewhere for those who maybe don't read every single page, of every thread to have a summarized version as to what has taken place over the last 3+ days. When news first broke of Martin leaving for Cal the initial "Coaching Hot Board's" had quite a few names as you would expect, I may have forgotten 1 or 2, but heres most of them:

Gregg Marshall (Wichita State)
Shaka Smart (VCU)
Lawrence Frank(BKN Nets)
Tom Crean (Indiana)
Ben Howland (former UCLA)
Archie Miller (Dayton)
Tad Boyle (Colorado)
Rick Byrd (Belmont)
Michael White (Louisiana Tech)
Donnie Tyndall (Southern Miss)
Allan Houston (Knicks frontoffice)
Tim Miles (Nebraska)
Chris Mack (Xavier)
Tubby Smith (Texas Tech)
Mick Cronin (Cincinnati)
Will Wade (UT-Chattanooga)
Brad Brownell (Clemson)
Chris Mooney (Richmond)
Richard Pitino (Minnesota)

So after 3 days where do things stand? Well, there hasn't been a whole lot of concrete information come out as far as X candidate saying they're definitely interested or Y candidate saying they're definitely not interested. There has been some statements from AD's, but as we know that doesn't always mean the coach feels the same way.

From this point forward is not fact, it is speculation on my part which I will provide quotes and links for some, and what I truly believe has happened. As I mentioned above though, unless a coach says it themselves, and sometimes even if a coach says it, doesn't necessarily mean it is true. So, with that said...

Money is a major issue: and not in a good way. According to volquest.com multiple sources indicated to them that Tennessee could've gotten Gregg Marshall or Tad Boyle to the negotiating table if they were willing to pay north of $2 million. Dave Hart doesn't feel that Tennessee is in a financial position to pay that much for a basketball coach, so you likely can eliminate those 2 names. I would also include Shaka Smart into that same group as well as you're not going to get Shaka Smart for less than $2.5 million in my opinion. Include Tom Crean into this as it would take well over $2 million to attract him as well.

No Thanks: that seems to be what Dave Hart has said to both Tubby Smith and Ben Howland. Both reportedly reached out to Tennessee to make them aware of their interest, but as of right now it doesn't appear that it goes both ways. Tubby Smith I would imagine because of how he left Minnesota, and Ben Howland because of the NCAA issues that appear to be haunting him.

He's not interested....says the AD in regards to Richard Pitino. Now the question becomes, do you believe Pitino told his AD this, or do you believe his AD took it upon himself to say this? Speculation seems to be that it is indeed the case, as this would be Pitino's 3rd job in as many years, and that isn't exactly appealing to him. Still, Tennessee is expected to reach out to him, and want to hear first hand from him that he's not interested.

A couple on Cincy boys...are very interested, at least according to Wes Rucker of 247. Chris Mack of Xavier and Mick Cronin of Cincinnati have both responded to Tennessee and let them know they are interested in the opening. The odd thing here is that both coach at their alma mater, so on the surface you wouldn't expect either to make the move. However...In Mack's case he plays in a Big East that seems to be falling apart by the day, and he makes less than $1/yr reportedly. As for Cronin, he's playing in a solid conference, but has been fighting for years to try and get upgrades done for his program, no such luck to date. It's also rumored that he hasn't signed the new extension that was offered to him months ago, and his current salary is around $1.5 million. Cronin could be a case of Buzz Williams, takes similar or less money, at possibly a worse school in a better conference for the chance to make it big there with more support.

It's Miller time...I'm talking about Archie Miller. On the surface you see a guy at a mid major in Dayton, whos rumored to be making between $600-$800k on the deal he signed in February. Nobody knows his buyout, but I would assume it's a decent amount as he just signed the deal 2 months ago. Could Tennessee afford Miller? absolutely. However, Archie also likely realizes what Tennessee has at this point. He sees a tough job next year ahead of him, where as at Dayton he's one more good year away from being the next Brad Stevens (ok not quite, but you get the point). I expect Tennessee to reach out to Miller, and try to engage in some serious talks, but at the end of the day I would be surprised if they are able to pull him.

The great C-USA...that's where all the great coaches start at right? Well anyways, Michael White and Donnie Tyndall. These 2 are both serious candidates and have reportedly let Tennessee know they are indeed interested. Both should be available pretty cheap, which if you read the part about money being an issue these 2 have to be very appealing to Hart. Both of these guys make around $600k with about the same buyout, so for what Cal owes you on Martin you can buyout one of these guys and may the majority of their first year salary.

No Phil Jackson?...it appears not, or any other NBA tie for that matter. I doubt Allan Houston was every really an option, but hey his name was out there so thought I would address it. Lawrence Frank is a name that seems to always get thrown around with Tennessee fans, but reality is he seems to be a NBA lifer, so moving on.

Homegrown Heroes...talking about Will Wade and Rick Byrd. Wade coaches right down the road at UTC, and Byrd is a Tennessee grad who has been at Belmont for what seems like at least 100 years. While Tennessee has reached out to both to at least gauge interest, it doesn't appear the coaching search will fall far enough for either to really become a likely candidate.

So who's left...Tim Miles, Brad Brownell and Chris Mooney. Never really thought Tim Miles was a legitimate candidate. He's currently making $1.4 million and I'm sure that's getting ready to go up with the job he did last year. That means Tennessee would likely have to offer up at least $2 million and I really don't see him being the guy Hart would offer that much up to. Miles has also leaked out through a few national media outlets that he's not interested, and even the day of Martin leaving let it known he wasn't interested. As for the other 2, it doesn't appear Tennessee has reached out to either as Mooney seemingly missed the elevator on being a hot name, and Brownell has struggled in recent years, have to imagine both are far down the list.

So, what has happened in 3 days? (once again this is speculation on my part based on reports out there and some educated guessing)....on the surface not a whole lot, but really exactly what you thought would go on appears to have. Dave Hart has had people in his office reach out to probably anywhere from 25-50 names across the country to gauge interest. Get numbers as far as salaries, buyouts, and just an overall gauge of interest as well. As I mentioned in the beginning money is clearly an issue, so that's something that im sure was addressed in most of the phone calls to bigger names.

So weeding through all of this, I feel pretty confident (which in a coaching search means nothing) that Dave Hart is likely down to about 4-6 realistic candidates, and that the next coach will come from this list.

Michael White
Donnie Tyndall
Chris Mack
Richard Pitino
Mick Cronin
Archie Miller

What it very well could come down to is money. In order of accomplishments Chris Mack, Mick Cronin, Archie Miller, Donnie Tyndall, Michael White and Richard Pitino imo. If Dave Hart feels he can get either of the 1st two names for under $1.8 million that's likely your guy, if neither is willing to leave their alma mater for the price then it will fall down the list in my opinion. I could also see a scenario where Michael White's southern ties, and inexpensive ticket price are very appealing and Dave Hart interviews him before anyone else. If he nails the interview I could see him being offered the job before even trying with Mack or Cronin.

Sorry for the length of this post, kind of ended up turning into a complete rant, but i'll try to make the next update (if there is one) a bit shorter:)

Gregg Marshall is comfortable at WSU and has job security for about 10 more years. I don't see him leaving unless we offer about $3,000,000.

Shaka (Zulu) Smart won't leave VCU unless we open the wallet. Also, to my understanding, his wife is employed at VCU.

Rick Byrd is a very good idea but I don't think Hart will hire him because of his age.

Don't think Tom Cream will leave Indiana. IT is a basketball school.

We tried Lawrence Frank before hiring Martin. I think that a person needs "X" amount of years as a coach in the NBA in order to be eligible to earn a retirement from the NBA. Why would Frank leave the NBA when he is about to be vested for retirement?

The only one that really, really excites me is Pitino. He is young, relates to the young players and is a winner.........

You can bet some bodies " pockets ain't empty cuz."

How can Florida afford to pay 4 and we cannot pay 2? The lack of vision by the powers that be makes me sick. The infrastructure and fanbase are in place --just like in football-- to support a top 10 program. The lack of leadership in regards to Athletics at UTK is downright disappointing at an almost tragic level.

jim haslam has said publicly that he does not want UT to be perceived as "mercenary" in its pursuit of coaches, like bama, but as "scholastic" like UVA. it has also been stated that at UT, what big jim wants, big jim gets.

there has been recent speculation that, despite the $$ and the history, the influence of the haslam family on the hill has significantly diminished.

it will be very interesting to see how this bball coach game plays out.

How can anyone put Allan Houstons name out there?...The man has never coached one game in his life...Where do you people get this stuff?...You didn't get it from the AD that's gauranteed.

Thanks for the latest update and I will be interested to find out if Hart consults Grunfeld on this hire since Grunfeld knows college basketball pretty well.

Reactions: 2 people
jim haslam has said publicly that he does not want UT to be perceived as "mercenary" in its pursuit of coaches, like bama, but as "scholastic" like UVA. it has also been stated that at UT, what big jim wants, big jim gets.

there has been recent speculation that, despite the $$ and the history, the influence of the haslam family on the hill has significantly diminished.

it will be very interesting to see how this bball coach game plays out.

I mean...UVA was founded by Thomas Jefferson. We aren't UVA. We can be, however, like Texas, Ohio State, Michigan and Florida --all of which emphasize both academics and sports. It is not some mercantilistic zero-sum game. Academics and sports can and should be complements, not substitutes.

I'm sorry but ... As much as I loathe anything I.U. and what they stand for, thinking Tennessee has or ever has had a shot with Crean is akin to Kentucky Football thinking they have a shot luring Les Miles or Jimbo Fisher. I definitely think they need to get a younger coach with a lot of potential. That way they can score him for cheaper, and if he pans out slap a big raise with a huge buyout on him once money starts coming back in.

I feel you! I was thinking the same thing! Always excuses with us when it comes to money. Poor money management if you ask me to get to this point.

I feel you! I was thinking the same thing! Always excuses with us when it comes to money. Poor money management if you ask me to get to this point.

It's not even about money management. It's about vision. Bama hired Nick Saban and their revenue went up 50 million a year. Any capitalist will tell you that you have to spend money to make money.

Reactions: 7 people
How can anyone put Allan Houstons name out there?...The man has never coached one game in his life...Where do you people get this stuff?...You didn't get it from the AD that's gauranteed.

Isiah Thomas never coached before getting FIU job. Clyde Drexler never ccoached before Houston job. They turned out.......oh I see your point

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back