Why Coach Cuonzo Martin Left

I am tired of talking about Martin, how he did or didn't get screwed by us, whether racism played a role and what players leaving have to say, enough already! He is no angel as some propose, his stock was never going to be higher and he did a poor job with fans and recruiting so let's move on whatda say?

Reactions: 3 people
how many of these threads are we gonna have? Who cares? Hire a winner and move on. 4 months til "It's Football Time in Tennessee!!!"

Interesting that he wants the fans to stick with it when there are bumps in the road. He obviously didn't follow his own advice.

Reactions: 3 people
The players comments gave the best insight into how he felt. Based on that I think the petition influenced his decision to a degree

The players comments gave the best insight into how he felt. Based on that I think the petition influenced his decision to a degree

Unless he is a robot. Though I think if he had a stacked roster coming back it may not have mattered as much. If he's pro/con 'ng it, it's on the con side.

I have read so much about Martin, and the bashing the fans is just an easy way out. If you look at the records since Martin has been coach at UT, it was average at best. The team only improved by two games over the last three seasons. It was just a loss away from another NIT visit this year. They just got hot at the right time. I believe Martin saw the shape of UT basketball next season and jumped ship when he got a good offer from Cal. If he stayed he was pretty much as good as gone next season. He was't recruiting as well as other colleges and if he didn't match or improve next season Hart would not have much of a choice left. I don't blame him ... but the fans shouldn't be used to push an agenda to bash UT. It's just an easy way out and something the press can use against Tennessee.

Reactions: 2 people
UT barely made the dance with top 15 quality players. I truly believe if the team hadn't come from behind to beat Iowa St, Counzo would have been fired!

I didn't sign any petition, but I thought CCM had mostly underperformed with the players he was handed. I thought UT admin was handcuffed when the team made the sweet sixteen. I was ready to see UT try a different direction at coach, so CCM leaving appears to be a blessing (in my opinion)!

BTW, I don't blame CCM for leaving! He used the equity earned in coaching a team to the NCAA sweet sixteen to save face and buy himself at least three more years of a great position and income. I would have done the same thing!

Reactions: 6 people
Interesting that he wants the fans to stick with it when there are bumps in the road. He obviously didn't follow his own advice.

Exactly !!!!! he wants us to say its OK to Loose a few and he is riding out of town and the program is burning behind him .. :dance: good bye !!! fella !!!

Cuonzo was gone half way through the season. There we some hi-dollar supporters said he goes or our money goes, they didn't want him here. He was job shopping long before he left. The sweet 16 kept Hart from having to boot him.....Fact

A coach that has every opportunity to rip a fan base on his way out the door to a new job refuses to do so, and you call him a liar.

Stay classy bamacheats, stay classy.

Cuonzo says it had "NOTHING" to do with his decision but then goes on to say it gives us a black eye, it gets to the players, we should know the coach is always trying his best, and mumble mumble mumble, but, it had "NOTHING" to do with his decision, but back to the petition.

That's the definition of a liar. Or a hypocrite. Neither of those are classy.

Time to jock sniff another board. We ain't hiring another Gene Keady coaching tree hack.

Reactions: 1 person
A coach that has every opportunity to rip a fan base on his way out the door to a new job refuses to do so, and you call him a liar.

Stay classy bamacheats, stay classy.

A coach that says he loves it here and is staying, while looking for a new job and then taking one is a ____?

[/B]
UT barely made the dance with top 15 quality players. I truly believe if the team hadn't come from behind to beat Iowa St, Counzo would have been fired!

I didn't sign any petition, but I thought CCM had mostly underperformed with the players he was handed. I thought UT admin was handcuffed when the team made the sweet sixteen. I was ready to see UT try a different direction at coach, so CCM leaving appears to be a blessing (in my opinion)!

BTW, I don't blame CCM for leaving! He used the equity earned in coaching a team to the NCAA sweet sixteen to save face and buy himself at least three more years of a great position and income. I would have done the same thing!

This guy knows his TN bball

Reactions: 1 person
What Martin should have said on the way out the door was fu## all you whiny ass sons a b######.
Give you a sweet 16 and some of you still whine like a bunch of girlie boys on the rag..
Sadly, he's a better man than that.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back