Tobias Harris on Cuonzo departure

TeazyT

Where's Rommel?
"Tennessee has some of the best fans in the country," Harris said. "You have to support your coach through whatever it is.

"To think," he added, "that you had people signing petitions so he could get fired, then the man leads the team to the Sweet 16, and now he's decided to go to California and everybody's upset. But at the same time, if you look at all the stuff, it's kind of like the fans kind of ran him out of there." - from Times Free Press

Found it interesting being that Harris never actually played for 'zo. Thought his comments summed it up perfectly though. We're a great, passionate fanbase, but we're really not doing ourselves any favors with all of this.

Reactions: 16 people
Many would argue we've actually done ourselves a great favor. Just a few weeks ago we were being assured that "fans" have no real power.

Reactions: 18 people
"Tennessee has some of the best fans in the country," Harris said. "You have to support your coach through whatever it is.

"To think," he added, "that you had people signing petitions so he could get fired, then the man leads the team to the Sweet 16, and now he's decided to go to California and everybody's upset. But at the same time, if you look at all the stuff, it's kind of like the fans kind of ran him out of there." - from Times Free Press

Found it interesting being that Harris never actually played for 'zo. Thought his comments summed it up perfectly though. We're a great, passionate fanbase, but we're really not doing ourselves any favors with all of this.

I'm not sure I would say "everyone is upset". Hiring a new coach and saving 1.3 million or more in the process.

Reactions: 8 people

If you can't take criticism, then do not coach. Stop blaming the fans and learn how to do your job...

Reactions: 27 people

He had support. UT had great turnout for its tourney games, and attendance, although down, was still 7th in the country and 2nd in the conference.

Please spare us the uniformed rhetoric. Harris staying could have changed CCM's tenure dramatically. I don't blame him for leaving, but he gone, and hasn't looked back at Knoxville.

Reactions: 6 people
Everyone is not upset Tobias. Its easy to comment after the fact. I just can't wait until we hire a coach so we don't have to hear stuff like this from everyone. Martin wasn't a good fit here and the fan base was more than divided. Most of these same bloggers and colleagues of the most anti UT stuff we've read was talking about how Martin was on the hot seat. It is what it is...

Reactions: 2 people
We the fans are to blame just as much as Cuonzo and his staff. As a fan that signed the petition (I do fully regret this but hindsight is always 20/20.) there was a reason that there was that many fans that were that upset. We over reacted and the staff had no good reason why it took 2 and half years for the players to catch on to his system. It was bad relationship from the beginning and lets be honest it was never going to be a good fit. I am happy for Cuonzo that he ended up at a pretty good job and have no hard feelings toward him. Let's move on and learn from our mistakes and get ready to support the new man in charge whoever it may be. GBO!

Reactions: 5 people
Amazing how Ron Zook stayed at Florida when FireRonZook.com got rolling and became a national news story almost as soon as he was hired.

I guess we're just a meaner breed than Florida fans.

Reactions: 5 people
Again, we keep going back and referencing a petition of the vocal minority. 30-40,000 people digitally clicked on a online petition.

In comparison of alum, fans and supporters that may equal 2%

Reactions: 2 people
We the fans are to blame just as much as Cuonzo and his staff. As a fan that signed the petition (I do fully regret this but hindsight is always 20/20.) there was a reason that there was that many fans that were that upset. We over reacted and the staff had no good reason why it took 2 and half years for the players to catch on to his system. It was bad relationship from the beginning and lets be honest it was never going to be a good fit. I am happy for Cuonzo that he ended up at a pretty good job and have no hard feelings toward him. Let's move on and learn from our mistakes and get ready to support the new man in charge whoever it may be. GBO!

This is the sanest post regarding the "petition" I've seen.

Amazing how Ron Zook stayed at Florida when FireRonZook.com got rolling and became a national news story almost as soon as he was hired.

I guess we're just a meaner breed than Florida fans.

The best part of the fire Ron Zook website was the number of potential Florida recruits that got a good look at it.

Reactions: 1 person
I did not sign the petition but if I could have figured it out on mobile I would have at the time. At the time the petition was created we as a fan base had every right in the world to be unhappy with the product on the court and the thought of CBP returning seemed like our best option at the time.

The media and players are blowing it all up out of proportion. We did not do anything that any other fan base in the country would not have done. Simple as that.

And after what FCCM did with the 7ft guy on TN's dime, I really do not care that he's gone. Good man, average coach, sub-par recruiter....

Adios Konzos

Reactions: 3 people
Again, we keep going back and referencing a petition of the vocal minority. 30-40,000 people digitally clicked on a online petition.

In comparison of alum, fans and supporters that may equal 2%

Whose to say all of those signatures were from tn fans? Could other schools fans sign it to make it look even worse?

And we will continue to bit*h and complain until we start getting our moneys worth...The fans make this school so much money that its their turn to prove to us they want us in the stands....This playing it cheap crap is for the birds when you have the kind of money UT has.

I did not sign the petition but if I could have figured it out on mobile I would have at the time. At the time the petition was created we as a fan base had every right in the world to be unhappy with the product on the court and the thought of CBP returning seemed like our best option at the time.

The media and players are blowing it all up out of proportion. We did not do anything that any other fan base in the country would not have done. Simple as that.

And after what FCCM did with the 7ft guy on TN's dime, I really do not care that he's gone. Good man, average coach, sub-par recruiter....

Adios Konzos

Heck...Cuonzo signed it himself. If your going to make all those signatures accurate in articles to slam our fan base, the names should be as well. It's silly.

Yes I have noticed they go to extremes to justify their involvement in Martin leaving how it is a good thing. They have made us the laughing stock of the sports world.

um not really.......Tennessee basketball is not and has not been nationally relevant since CCM took over until the NCAAT run. We really arent big news in Natl Sports Media. Heck even a Cal sports writer had little to no knowledge of CCM and his career save for the fact that he had been the coach at UT. Anyone in the "know" knows that CCM was not a good fit at UT and was itching to leave UT with the first chance he got given the rather bland/average roster he had going into next year. How many of those media personalities have watched more than a handful of UT bball games each of the last three years???

I love Tobias. However, who is he referring to that is upset? I think there may me maybe @ 178 fans that are upset.

Whose to say all of those signatures were from tn fans? Could other schools fans sign it to make it look even worse?

Exactly. I signed it twice. Once as Deon Thomas and once as Steven Pearl. I saw the petition as a joke and treated it as such.

And no Tobias not everyone is upset. Id wager 70%+ fans were thrilled when Cuonzo left. The anger will come if we hire another Cuonzo.

Adios Konzos

Every coach in the nation would have done the same thing. You don't stop recruiting players even if you know your leaving for another school.

Every coach in the nation would have done the same thing. You don't stop recruiting players even if you know your leaving for another school.

With the way we've looked with the 2015 class for the last 3 months, I think Zo was already planning on being gone one way or another at the end of the season.

VN Store

Back