Where is the Coaching Search Info?

Captain Awesome

Sure, there are slight tid bits here and there but not like in times past. We knew everything when Hart was looking for the football coach. We knew he'd talked to Gruden and couldn't offer enough money. We knew he spent a lot of time talking to Gundy. We knew he offered the job to Charlie Strong and that he took a night to think about it and turned us down. We awaited Strong's decision all night. Then we knew Hary had turned his sights to CBJ. Now, I feel like I'm walking around in the dark. I want to know something for crying out loud!

Reactions: 1 person
Sure, there are slight tid bits here and there but not like in times past. We knew everything when Hart was looking for the football coach. We knew he'd talked to Gruden and couldn't offer enough money. We knew he spent a lot of time talking to Gundy. We knew he offered the job to Charlie Strong and that he took a night to think about it and turned us down. We awaited Strong's decision all night. Then we knew Hary had turned his sights to CBJ. Now, I feel like I'm walking around in the dark. I want to know something for crying out loud!

About half, if not more if what you said is nothing but wild speculation. For example the gruden part.

I do not know where it is headed. But I do not believe Tennessee will pay up for a guy like Gregg Marshall, Shaka Smart, Mick Cronin (Cinn. coach I think he makes like 2.2 mil. now) Tennessee is just not going to pay a big time coach. Let's be real here. Hart said in that press conference he had, about a up and coming star. So look for a coach from a smaller school.

Wes Rucker is on the radio saying 2 million is probably the ceiling and that's not enough for the Smart or Marshall level of candidates.

We knew nada, zip, nothing, zero about Hart and the football search. He was very tight-lipped. UTAD employees were threatened with their jobs if news leaked out.

I'm not saying Wes is wrong but Smart only made 450k last year. Why on earth would he not leave if we quadrupled his salary?

Some of you guys just aren't remembering correctly. I live in Louisville and even the media here was reporting that Charlie Strong was going being persued by TN and that he was going to take the night to decide between the two. He turned us down the next morning.

Gilbert is running the search. Hart will get involved once Gilbert and his staff have gauged interest of the candidates and vetted them. I don't see anything happening this weekend. Interviews will pick up next week.

I'm still not at all willing to say that offering up to 2 million, which would be around #18 nationally in coaching pay, is a school not willing to spend money.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not saying Wes is wrong but Smart only made 450k last year. Why on earth would he not leave if we quadrupled his salary?

That # is Wrong. Also, Smart clearly isn't. motivated just by $ as he has turned down lota of it the last 3 years

Last edited:

Why would you be walking around in the dark? Don't you have lights at your home? Electricity is a wonderful thing but you have to pay the bill each month. Maybe that's your problem :salute::salute::salute:

UCLA likely offered much more and he turned them down. He's in a Mark Few state of mind and that ain't happening for us imo

Some of you guys just aren't remembering correctly. I live in Louisville and even the media here was reporting that Charlie Strong was going being persued by TN and that he was going to take the night to decide between the two. He turned us down the next morning.

I have forgotten what we were supposedly going to offer him, do you remember? Honest question.

I don't want to shop for a young coach at Kmart. Howland I could go for at that mark

I don't think Cronin and Mack are shopping. Cronin's resume is impressive as it gets. Learned under Huggy Bear and Pitino. Mack has worked under Gillen, Prosser and Miller. I think they're pretty damn qualified.

OP I'm pretty sure most of what you heard was BS. It was much more entertaining but I'd rather have something to believe than gruden took a crap in an orange toilet and then hear the random smokescreen chatter.

VN Store

Back