Lost in all of the commotion

drewtigeralum

Is the fact that graduating U.T. players, and even one of the current U.T. players, sided with the coach and seemed to resent either the fans or the administration.

Former players, especially NBA players, are excellent recruiting assets. The players basically saying "loved the coach, didn't like / or at least felt disrespected by the fans" isn't much of glowing endorsement.

While it is debatable wether the "petition" bothered Martin, it is fairly indisputable that it alienated the players.

Reactions: 4 people
Is the fact that graduating U.T. players, and even one of the current U.T. players, sided with the coach and seemed to resent either the fans or the administration.

Former players, especially NBA players, are excellent recruiting assets. The players basically saying "loved the coach, didn't like / or at least felt disrespected by the fans" isn't much of glowing endorsement.

While it is debatable wether the "petition" bothered Martin, it is fairly indisputable that it alienated the players.
I wouldn't read to much into that IMO. Recruiting as always is mainly about the coach.

I wouldn't read to much into that IMO. Recruiting as always is mainly about the coach.

It certainly wouldn't have hurt recruiting if Jarnell Stokes went back to Memphis and told some people how awesome his experience playing at U.T., instead of telling people the fans turned on the team when the going got tough. I just find the people patting themselves on the back for alienating the coach and players a little short sighted.

Reactions: 9 people

Maybe the players liked playing for a coach who did not see the need to win/push them until his job was on the line. Hopefully the next coaches pushes the players to compete at a high level from day 1 and all throughout their time at Tennessee. Not just when its tourney time.

Reactions: 3 people
If Martin could actually coach, we wouldn't need to start those petitions.

Honestly, do you really think the petition changed the way Martin coached? Petition or no petition, he knew he needed to make the NCAA tournament this season. I don't think the petition put any more pressure on him that didn't all ready exist, but it did make the players feel like the fan base turned on them.

It's not good when the players turn on the program, at least in my opinion.

Honestly, do you really think the petition changed the way Martin coached? Petition or no petition, he knew he needed to make the NCAA tournament this season. I don't think the petition put any more pressure on him that didn't all ready exist, but it did make the players feel like the fan base turned on them.

I can honestly say I never asked for any of the BB players to be fired. I never wanted to see Hart replace them. IMO we had some quality talent on the court this year. The problem was the man leading/coaching them. More often than not players will support their coach win or lose. I am very confident they will support the next guy calling the shots as well.

Agreed! I thought it was funny people bashing him for not meeting with them, but most the players were happy for him!

I can honestly say I never asked for any of the BB players to be fired. I never wanted to see Hart replace them. IMO we had some quality talent on the court this year. The problem was the man leading/coaching them. More often than not players will support their coach win or lose. I am very confident they will support the next guy calling the shots as well.

I think the current players will get on board, but the players that just left certainly left with a bitter taste in their mouth. The players seem to have interpreted it as the fans turning on them.

Reactions: 1 person
The media is taking shots at UT largely because of the petition and they are leaving Mizzou alone because they did not create a petition despite wanting to rid themselves of Frank Haith.

The petition was a PR disaster and frankly there is no classy or logical excuse for it's existence. It was not well thought out and it may be costing UT some good former player alums, who may disassociate themselves from the program over this. There is a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things. Our fans chose the wrong way.

Reactions: 6 people
The media is taking shots at UT largely because of the petition and they are leaving Mizzou alone because they did not create a petition despite wanting to rid themselves of Frank Haith.

The petition was a PR disaster and frankly there is no classy or logical excuse for it's existence. It was not well thought out and it may be costing UT some good former player alums, who may disassociate themselves from the program over this. There is a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things. Our fans chose the wrong way.

The funny thing is that, this thing probably plays out the exact same way without the petition, minus the national media lining up to take a dump on U.T. In fact, minus the petition, Martin probably comes out looking like the bad guy in this situation.

The media hates Tennessee?

I think the current players will get on board, but the players that just left certainly left with a bitter taste in their mouth. The players seem to have interpreted it as the fans turning on them.

I'd like to think most UT players can at least read. I am quite sure the petition was a collection of Tennessee fans who wanted to see Bruce Pearl rehired as head basketball coach. Nowhere did that petition mention replacing the players. Some fans felt that Zo was not the man for the job. Had Bruce Pearl been rehired, I'm pretty sure the players would have been on board.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd like to think most UT players can at least read. I am quite sure the petition was a collection of Tennessee fans who wanted to see Bruce Pearl rehired as head basketball coach. Nowhere did that petition mention replacing the players. Some fans felt that Zo was not the man for the job. Had Bruce Pearl been rehired, I'm pretty sure the players would have been on board.

You do realize the chances of U.T. rehiring Bruce Pearl were the same as Duke firing Coach K. and hiring Cuonzo Martin.

Reactions: 3 people
You do realize the chances of U.T. rehiring Bruce Pearl were the same as Duke firing Coach K. and hiring Cuonzo Martin.

I do. That does not change the fact that the petition had nothing to do with the players. The whole argument was the talent was there, Zo was just not coaching them up to that talent level.

I do. That does not change the fact that the petition had nothing to do with the players. The whole argument was the talent was there, Zo was just not coaching them up to that talent level.

What you are failing to understand, as while that may have been your perspective, it doesn't appear that it was the players perspective.

What you are failing to understand, as while that may have been your perspective, it doesn't appear that it was the players perspective.

Because they supported their coach as he was walking out the door?

I'll go out on a limb and say JMac, Stokes, and Maymon will be back on campus ALOT in the future. Coaches quit and or are fired all the time. Lots of different reasons. Give it a week and all these guys will be as VFL as they were a month ago. IMO your making something out of nothing.

Reactions: 2 people

I don't know if it changed the way he coached but it changed the way they played and the effort they gave. Cuonzo said it didn't sit well with the team and it woke up a sleeping bear that they used as motivation. I'd be embarrassed to say that my team needed motivation and that it came to that.

VN Store

Back