How much did Pearl's recruiting sanctions hurt

Orangedogsrule

PULEEZE LET SMOKEY WIN!!!
Irregardless of CCM, how much did the NCAA recruiting sanctions brought on by Pearl hurt the VOLS bb program and how long will it take to overcome?

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...VobrXg&usg=AFQjCNGk-Pb94fPbLyMxWeHDe50cHdF5Wg

Those self imposed by UT in an attempt to mitigate what the NCAA was surely going to do. The recruiting sanctions are listed in the above linked pdf. Did they hurt the program? No one ever talks about this.

Looking at them, I doubt it had much of an impact at all with winning and losing. Most of it was coaching salary related. IMO Martin under performing had little to do with the "sanctions". JMO

Reactions: 1 person
Absolutely none

So you think a 20% loss of off campus recruiting trips (among others), the national perception of a program in trouble by quality recruits who would have been seniors this year and been contributing is "absolutely nothing"? And that the loss of their contribution to the national perception among recruits is meaningless???

I thought about blocking such ignerent postins but ah keeps 'em fer mah daily fix o' humer!

So you think a 20% loss of off campus recruiting trips (among others), the national perception of a program in trouble by quality recruits who would have been seniors this year and been contributing is "absolutely nothing"? And that the loss of their contribution to the national perception among recruits is meaningless???

I thought about blocking such ignerent postins but ah keeps 'em fer mah daily fix o' humer!

dropping our visits from 130-104 is pretty much nothing and easily worked around by a good recruiter.....His first class was not affected by recruiting violations bc he didnt have time to recruit it period....Pearl's first class was Ryan childress. Like I said....absolutely none!!!

dropping our visits from 130-104 is pretty much nothing and easily worked around by a good recruiter.....His first class was not affected by recruiting violations bc he didnt have time to recruit it period....Pearl's first class was Ryan childress. Like I said....absolutely none!!!

I disagree completely with your first premise. That a 20% (1/5 th) loss of off campus visits can be worked around by merely a "good recruiter" ... he would have to be in the top five with blueblood creds with recruits getting all pumped just because he called.

The perception of a program in trouble will affect recruiting whether you agree or not.

It's been proven Pearl was a lying carnival clown of a coach who brought shame on this state and it's flagship university.

You say "absolutely none" ... if I rightfully hold Pearl in such low regard, what do you think some parents of potential recruits will do?

I believe perception, what folks think about the program, whether it's straight up or not means more than it appears lots of folks are willing to admit.

It was all those sanctions that got Pearl fired in the first place. If he'd been honorable to begin with he'd still be here. How's THAT affect the program?

Reactions: 3 people
Irregardless...... you know you're on a TN message board when....

Your point? I wanted to discuss the sanctions without regard to how good or bad Martin could recruit and how Pearl's actions are directly responsible for the position UT bb finds itself. CCM's share of the responsibility would never have happened if Pearl's moral compass even had a needle!

I disagree completely with your first premise. That a 20% (1/5 th) loss of off campus visits can be worked around by merely a "good recruiter" ... he would have to be in the top five with blueblood creds with recruits getting all pumped just because he called.

The perception of a program in trouble will affect recruiting whether you agree or not.

It's been proven Pearl was a lying carnival clown of a coach who brought shame on this state and it's flagship university.

You say "absolutely none" ... if I rightfully hold Pearl in such low regard, what do you think some parents of potential recruits will do?

I believe perception, what folks think about the program, whether it's straight up or not means more than it appears lots of folks are willing to admit.

It was all those sanctions that got Pearl fired in the first place. If he'd been honorable to begin with he'd still be here. How's THAT affect the program?

So u ask about sanctions and I state that were minor and could be worked around if the guy is a strong recruiter....didnt like that anyone did not agree with u on the sanctions so instead you turn it into a rant about Bruce Pearl. Look at Auburn and see what kind of class Bruce is able to pull next season and that will tell you people's perceptions.

Your point? I wanted to discuss the sanctions without regard to how good or bad Martin could recruit and how Pearl's actions are directly responsible for the position UT bb finds itself. CCM's share of the responsibility would never have happened if Pearl's moral compass even had a needle!

His point was your incorrect use of the colloquial
"irregardless." The prefix "ir" means not, and the suffix "less" means without. If irregardless was an actual word, it's meaning would be "in regard to."

Regardless ("without regard") would have been your proper choice.

Last edited:

Sounds more like you just don't like pearl instead of actually having any logical backing to how it effected recruiting.

Name recruits we lost because of these sanctions. Not who you hypothesize or think, ones who said "TN didn't talk to me enough, so I went elsewhere."

If you don't have those, then you have nothing more than an opinion. The lack of evidence for your claim is more than enough to say that the sanctions did NOT hurt TN at all.

Why did you post a question when you already had your answer? Textbook trolling IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
So u ask about sanctions and I state that were minor and could be worked around if the guy is a strong recruiter....didnt like that anyone did not agree with u on the sanctions so instead you turn it into a rant about Bruce Pearl. Look at Auburn and see what kind of class Bruce is able to pull next season and that will tell you people's perceptions.

Losing 1/5 of in home visits is not minor and merely a 'good' recruiter could not overcome that.

It's fine to at present not hold with my opinion ... you should, I'm right ;) ... but the thread IS ABOUT Pearl and the sanctions and what it's done to us. We are where we are because of his lack of a moral compass.
As far as recruiting, I've sat two stools down from one of his staff at the bar on a slow night at Ruby's on Northshore and couldn't help but listen in on recruiting calls while I had a couple of beers and a steak dinner, and the guy was incredible ... unbelievable ... amazing ... all things to all recruits and all parents. Jones I think it was but not certain. If Pearl can't assemble an assistant staff at the barn like he had at UT he well could wind up in the wind. But he may. Neither you nor I can predict it. Me? As a parent? I have my kid play at the local jr. college before I'd let him play for a coach with a broken moral compass. He'll get recruits, sure ... what kind?

Explain why Pearl has a more highly rated class in week one at Auburn, while not being able to leave campus to recruit, than Zo did in year 4?

Losing 1/5 of in home visits is not minor and merely a 'good' recruiter could not overcome that.

It's fine to at present not hold with my opinion ... you should, I'm right ;) ... but the thread IS ABOUT Pearl and the sanctions and what it's done to us. We are where we are because of his lack of a moral compass.
As far as recruiting, I've sat two stools down from one of his staff at the bar on a slow night at Ruby's on Northshore and couldn't help but listen in on recruiting calls while I had a couple of beers and a steak dinner, and the guy was incredible ... unbelievable ... amazing ... all things to all recruits and all parents. Jones I think it was but not certain. If Pearl can't assemble an assistant staff at the barn like he had at UT he well could wind up in the wind. But he may. Neither you nor I can predict it. Me? As a parent? I have my kid play at the local jr. college before I'd let him play for a coach with a broken moral compass. He'll get recruits, sure ... what kind?

He lied to the NCAA about a freaking picnic. That's hardly a massive blemish on his moral compass. You want to play the morality card? Go blow up Louisville's forums about the Petrino hire. That's a guy with no moral fiber. Pearl had a passion for his job and for this school. Did it cause him to make a bad judgment call? Absolutely. Does that call to question his character in any way? Not at all. I don't intend to root for Auburn by any means, but Pearl did great things for UT.

O, and I'll second the fact that you're wrong. The sanctions were merely a blip. Should have had no effect at all.

Last edited:
The 'Barn just got the #1 Juco in the country and are now 1 spot ahead of Tennessee in the 247 rankings.

So you're saying that reduced off campus visits screwed Zo? Yet Pearl is doing better with no off campus visitation than Zo/UT without any sanctions whatsoever.

There's no way to take Zo out of the equation, as he was the one doing the recruiting.

If I recall, and there are several articles about this, the general perception was that Tennessee got essentially nothing and Pearl got hammered personally.

So in answer to your loaded question, that you've already answered before you asked, the sanctions were very minor and had minimal impact.

2014 SEC Basketball Recruiting Team Rankings

OK, I get it. What you all want to say.

It was not about a 'freaking picnic'.

It took foreknowledge of what he was going to do. To have three recruits and parents there who should not have been. To take them and their families out on the patio and coach them to lie. To straight faced lie to the NCAA. To straight faced lie to his boss. Only backpedaling when confronted with a photograph of the event at his home and his staff "unable to corroborate" the picture was at his house. Are you guys kidding me! You think planning and carrying off and bold faced lying is no big deal and Pearl got shafted?

He's not the only one with a broke moral compass. And THAT perception of Tennessee and it's fan base is what I'm driving at. UThug. The place where the Power T on the helment was replaced with a machine pistol. Where the HBB coach plans, executes an event in violation of NCAA rules, lies about it, gets caught, fired, shames the state and university, brings sanctions.

But, ohh noo! It warn't Brucies fault. His bosses shoulda stood behind him, an he'd still be here. An anyhoo ... lookie wut he's adoin down at thuh barn! he's jus reelin em in!

Tennessee is not Auburn.

I demand a higher caliber of moral fiber in our coaches than, for what for example, ... someone like Bruce Pearl has to offer.

2014 SEC Basketball Recruiting Team Rankings

OK, I get it. What you all want to say.

It was not about a 'freaking picnic'.

It took foreknowledge of what he was going to do. To have three recruits and parents there who should not have been. To take them and their families out on the patio and coach them to lie. To straight faced lie to the NCAA. To straight faced lie to his boss. Only backpedaling when confronted with a photograph of the event at his home and his staff "unable to corroborate" the picture was at his house. Are you guys kidding me! You think planning and carrying off and bold faced lying is no big deal and Pearl got shafted?

He's not the only one with a broke moral compass. And THAT perception of Tennessee and it's fan base is what I'm driving at. UThug. The place where the Power T on the helment was replaced with a machine pistol. Where the HBB coach plans, executes an event in violation of NCAA rules, lies about it, gets caught, fired, shames the state and university, brings sanctions.

But, ohh noo! It warn't Brucies fault. His bosses shoulda stood behind him, an he'd still be here. An anyhoo ... lookie wut he's adoin down at thuh barn! he's jus reelin em in!

Tennessee is not Auburn.

I demand a higher caliber of moral fiber in our coaches than, for what for example, ... someone like Bruce Pearl has to offer.

Did Bruce do something to you personally.....your rant makes no sense bc pearl is now at Auburn.....if my child commits to be basketball it will be to a great basketball coach that teaches my kid how to play and win at basketball. I will handle the moral compass thing at home.

Did Bruce do something to you personally.....your rant makes no sense bc pearl is now at Auburn.....if my child commits to be basketball it will be to a great basketball coach that teaches my kid how to play and win at basketball. I will handle the moral compass thing at home.

After this term I will be getting 4 Alumni Torchbearer magazines in my mailbox each time they come out. Since I started UT in 1969 all my brothers and sisters have attended and their children. There has rarely been even one quarter or semester someone in my extended family hasn't been attending or teaching at UTK. I've never lived more than 35 miles from Ayres Hall. The University of Tennessee is woven into the fabric of my life. Did I/do we care Bruce Pearl brought shame on our alma mater?
Answer that one yourself.

As to you being willing to have your own child under the bold faced liar ..

Each to his own. But we did let it be known to our alma mater our opinion of Pearl during that blasted petition dust up. Sooo glad he's there and not here.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back