Ten Thoughts (Coaching Search Edition)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
I was at school Tuesday afternoon thinking "With my day off on Wednesday, I can finish my homework early and finally get around to that end of the year basketball report I was planning on."

Guess not.

1. I don't blame Cuonzo Martin for leaving, just like I don't blame Dave Hart for not giving him a big contract extension. It was obvious that when the contract extension details came out, that Dave Hart didn't believe in Cuonzo Martin. And who can blame Cuonzo Martin for wanting to leave at a place where he was not exactly wanted? It was an amicable split for both sides. I don't think as a fan their should be hatred on either side.

2. Do I think this is a great situation for Tennessee? Not at this moment. Would my preferred situation be for Cuonzo Martin to have accepted that contract extension and give him one final year to prove he can lead Tennessee to consistency? Yes. I think stability is highly important. I've made the statement I didn't believe Cuonzo Martin is the guy, but I wasn't 100% sure. I would have preferred to know for 100%, but I don't get that opportunity and that's not making me cry tears. It is what it is.

3. I found it very interesting that most of the current and former players expressed some sort of support for Coach Martin. In a firing, you expect that. But when it comes to a coach leaving, that usually isn't the case. It seemed like the players felt Coach Martin was being treated unfairly. Maybe that was the case. I don't really have a strong opinion either way (though the petition was really stupid). It seems however the players were truly happy for Martin.

4. I found Dave Hart's press conference to be nothing but your usual case of AD talk, except for the "we are looking for a rising star" quote. That seems to show exactly where Tennessee will be going with their search...the mid-major route.

5. I think Cal got a slightly above average basketball coach. I have no idea how he will recruit there, but I expect consistent 20 win seasons at Cal, just like Tennessee. It's not a home run hire, but Cuonzo will bring consistently and will not let that program sink by any stretch of the imagination.

6. Now on to Tennessee. I don't expect big money to be spent. I would wager to bet there will be a $2M cap for the head coach. It's a shame, but I expect that max price.

7. The thing I feel worst for is the incoming freshmen. It is really unfair to Jordan Cornish, Phil Cofer, C.J. Turman, and Larry Austin Jr. that they have to go through this and it's partially why I hate the early signing period. Those four guys have been committed for close to a year now and to have their careers yanked under them like that is just unfair. I hope that Dave Hart and the new incoming coach do the right thing and let them go from their papers if they so choose to want that.

8. The Tennessee BoT has made me AD. Woo Hoo!!! Now, they have given me a cap of $2.5M to find a head coach. The first person I call is Ben Howland and it's not even a second thought. He's a program builder who is an excellent defensive coach and recruit in the South. He has some baggage (inconsistent play, turmoil in the program with players) but nothing that is major with the NCAA and I think a lot of that can be explained because of the pressure at UCLA. At Tennessee, he would not have that problem. He'd win 25 games a year at UTK. I truly believe that.

9. If I had to make a prediction............Tennessee hires Archie Miller from Dayton. Nothing I know, just a gut feeling.

10. This is not fun. I really hate coaching searches because as a Tennessee fan, I'm tired of going through them. However, the world turns. It's a new day. I think Tennessee has a chance to really establish itself as a basketball power with the correct coaching choice. I believe that Dave Hart will not screw up the hire. I don't know if he will make the right one. This is an incredible chance. Tennessee has great facilities, big time budget, good tradition, and the NCAA isn't looming over its head like it did in April 2011 when Martin was hired. This could be the hire that puts UT on the map.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Reactions: 15 people
Archie Miller signed a new extension during the tournament, i doubt UT is going to pay his massive buyout.

I dont see how the petition was "stupid" when it eventually caused what a majority of the fan base wanted. I didnt sign it but I think it worked.

Serious question:

If CM had a better personality (a little flashy), a different style of play (exciting), and the same record, do you think the petition would have been started? I dont. I think CM just had too many things other than his mediocre record to overcome and wasnt able to do it. His attitude was blah, his style was blah, and his record was blah. There was nothing for the majority of fans to really like about him. JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
MONEY, MONEY, MONEY...MONEY!
Ain't yu herd. What "the fans" did to "po ole ZO". We dun run him out of town...tarred and feathered...and "don't come back here no mo!" :dunno::rtfm::yikes::yu:
GO VOLS!

I know some disagree but recruits sign LOI with universities not coaches. Yes coaches are a reason they come it's called recruiting, but everyone knows coaches move, it's part of the risk a recruit takes

18g9mjj9ny226jpg.jpg

This is my kind of coach. :)

Reactions: 5 people
I know some disagree but recruits sign LOI with universities not coaches. Yes coaches are a reason they come it's called recruiting, but everyone knows coaches move, it's part of the risk a recruit takes

More so in Football than Basketball.

Calipari took his entire signing class with him to UK, Lane Kiffin and coach "O" took UT recruits to USC. These kids sign on for the coach, not the University............

I dont see how the petition was "stupid" when it eventually caused what a majority of the fan base wanted. I didnt sign it but I think it worked.

Serious question:

If CM had a better personality (a little flashy), a different style of play (exciting), and the same record, do you think the petition would have been started? I dont. I think CM just had too many things other than his mediocre record to overcome and wasnt able to do it. His attitude was blah, his style was blah, and his record was blah. There was nothing for the majority of fans to really like about him. JMO

As to your question, I don't think the petition would have been started either. That just speaks to the irrationality of some UT fans.

Calipari took his entire signing class with him to UK, Lane Kiffin and coach "O" took UT recruits to USC. These kids sign on for the coach, not the University............

How did they get out of the LOIs without sitting out a year or am I confused how it works?

Okay... that article didn't provide any specifics at all other than "Financial terms of the contract were not disclosed.."

That's not the part I was calling you on. There's a part of your quote that many people have also incorrectly assumed, it's kind of a major detail when figuring what his contract likely is.

That's not the part I was calling you on. There's a part of your quote that many people have also incorrectly assumed, it's kind of a major detail when figuring what his contract likely is.

Being that he signed an extension i would assume the buyout has increased with the contract.

Being that he signed an extension i would assume the buyout has increased with the contract.

I think BTO means that the extension was signed in February, before the Tourney...but I could be wrong.

I think BTO means that the extension was signed in February, before the Tourney...but I could be wrong.

Bingo. People keep saying, oh Miller signed a new contract after this elite 8 run, gotta be a massive deal.

no.

Miller inked the deal in February, when Dayton looked like a bubble team/Nit team, not an elite 8 team. So in other words, his contract isn't near what it is thought to be with the assumption it what signed after his run.

He was making around $375k prior to the new deal iirc, he's gonna be somewhere in the $600k a year range, with a similar buyout IMO

I think Howland is the only realistic home run hire. It will probably be a mid major, though. If we get an upgrade I will be pleasantly surprised.

Another great post, zjc.

I would just say though, I picked up A LOT from Bama Dave's press conference. Not the least of which was (gutlessly) blaming the fans for the pressure on Zo when, as you correctly say, Zo was never his man at all.

Hart was caught with his pants down and his hands beneath his bottom again. He had the audacity to tacitly say the petition had been hard on Zo and his family (when he had given ZERO support), and he managed expectations by basically admitting the UT faithful would have to Google the next coach, frankly, because he hasn't enunciated or sold a bigger vision for the program to anyone.

I'm not really upset at Zo leaving. I'm upset that Hart has done everything to get Zo to leave but has done nothing to prepare for the transition. Bruce snapping up the Auburn offer so early was just the icing on the cake.

He's blamed the fans, said he was going to do another Google search for a coach (and he lucked into Butch), and basically, once again, expressed zero vision for the AD other than "let's be better than Hambone." Well, the chimps that went into space would be better ADs than Mike Hambone Hamilton. It's just not good enough from Bama Dave.

The petition was in no way stupid! It gave our fans a voice, we wanted change, and since Martin couldn't properly motivate our players to give their all for Tennessee, the petition did.

No one wanted to hurt Martin's feelings, but there was no way this team should have lost more than six games with the roster they had and the schedule they played! Martin just wasn't getting the job done until he and his players learned of the petition, without the petition UT doesn't make a run to the sweet sixteen. I don't see how any logical reasonable Vol fan doesn't get that. Just my two cents!

I don't think Hart is going to cap what he is willing to pay to bring in the right coach. He is going to find the right man for the job, someone who is interested in this job, and then he is going to pay him the proper amount. If Gregg Marshall decides to come to Tennessee that could be as much as 5 million dollars or it could be less. It just depends on the kind of candidates we attract.

VN Store

Back