Jimmy Cheeks vs candidates

Nocleats

Jimmy Cheeks admission standards will keep many good coaches away.. Why would any coach want to have his hands tied by a no academic exception, which every school in the SEC allows but Tennessee, and knowing that players who meet NCAA and SEC criteria and standards but not Tennessee? People dissed Counzos recruiting but this was part of it.. It was THE REASON that Charlie Strong said no....

Reactions: 2 people
Jimmy Cheeks admission standards will keep many good coaches away.. Why would any coach want to have his hands tied by a no academic exception, which every school in the SEC allows but Tennessee, and knowing that players who meet NCAA and SEC criteria and standards but not Tennessee? People dissed Counzos recruiting but this was part of it.. It was THE REASON that Charlie Strong said no....

Well if higher academic standards kept Charlie Strong away, I'm all for higher academic standards.

Reactions: 13 people
I've always found it ironic that a man with the last name "Cheek" has such prominent cheeks. I think it's called "verbal irony" in literature, but I could be wrong.

022610chloe-cheek_thumbnail_t320_240.jpg

Reactions: 7 people
I've always found it ironic that a man with the last name "Cheek" has such prominent cheeks. I think it's called "verbal irony" in literature, but I could be wrong.

022610chloe-cheek_thumbnail_t320_240.jpg

Got picked last in gym class for kickball so he's taking it out on Tennessee athletics.

Reactions: 7 people
I can't see Goldfinger having much of an impact here--unless he decides to hold an extended meeting with the potential hire.

Always great to see the public face of your university barely awake with one finger up his nose at an important event. The man is the Derek Dooley of the academic side of the equation, a complete liability.

His name is Cheek, not Cheeks. I swear people know nothing about the University other than it has athletics.

Reactions: 9 people
UT is first and foremost a UNIVERSITY and Cheek is the UNIVERSITY president. It is his job to improve the UNIVERSITY and improve it's reputation and ACADEMIC standing and try to get sum learnin in sum dem bumpkins. So if we have slightly higher standards so as not to be a laughing stock, so be it. What's the denial of admission to one poor student who plays football when you could instead admit one who will have a higher chance to graduate and be a productive citizen (and we sure need more working citizens)

Reactions: 9 people

Link to proof of 'THE REASON' you referenced or you just made it up or are Evian (naive-speled bakards .. meanin yer an easily spoofed willie o' the hills).

Zo was also under recruiting sanctions.

With the whole of NCAA admission GPA stds. going up to 2.3 from 2.0 in 2016 with equivalent sliding scale entrance exam increases it appears Cheeks has Tennessee ahead of the curve. That and the FB team just avoiding the APR sanctions makes him appear wiser, not foolish.

Course, it is hard to trust a guy who publicly picks his nose an inspects the booger.

Reactions: 1 person

False, false, and false.

UT is first and foremost a UNIVERSITY and Cheek is the UNIVERSITY president. It is his job to improve the UNIVERSITY and improve it's reputation and ACADEMIC standing and try to get sum learnin in sum dem bumpkins.

That's crazy talk.

UT is first and foremost a UNIVERSITY and Cheek is the UNIVERSITY president. It is his job to improve the UNIVERSITY and improve it's reputation and ACADEMIC standing and try to get sum learnin in sum dem bumpkins. So if we have slightly higher standards so as not to be a laughing stock, so be it. What's the denial of admission to one poor student who plays football when you could instead admit one who will have a higher chance to graduate and be a productive citizen (and we sure need more working citizens)

By what logic does requiring higher admissions standards for student-athletes than your conference brethren equate to improved academic standing for the university as a whole?

Has Vanderbilt lost standing by reducing their academic standards for student-athletes after spending years rejecting kids like Ron Mercer in meaningless fits of smug academic snobbery?

If this Administration believes playing by a different set of rules than the rest of conference in this regard somehow puts UT on the path to a Top 25 university, then the rankings over the last several years of this activity should at least give them pause.

Going Drake Group on student-athletes hasn't done one thing to improve the academic reputation of the University of Tennessee. But it has done damage to the ability of our coaches to compete in what is an athletic conference.

Reactions: 8 people

I like the thought, but Cheek is not the President. Does anyone know if other university's have a chancellor with this much control of athletics. It seems odd to me. When I hear about other schools it's usually the AD, President, BOT. But it seems like everything at UT also has to go through a chancellor.

I'm a UT graduate. I find it insulting that Cheek tells me that my education isn't worth much because UT hasn't had high enough academic standards.

Just for good measure, I'm going to post this here. Then, I'll quit making fun of him.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_7rcriinkU[/youtube]

The University of Tennessee is an academic institution first. Cheek is doing a fine job of elevating the academic prestige of this university. He should not have to sacrifice academic standards just so Butch Jones and company can recruit players that can barely read. Stanford, Northwestern and Vanderbilt are proving that you can have quality athletics programs without sacrificing academics. There are countless other examples particular to basketball. Duke, Georgetown, Xavier. So don't talk to me about how Cheek is ruining our athletics. He is doing his damn job. Maybe our coaches should try doing theirs for once.

The University of Tennessee is an academic institution first. Cheek is doing a fine job of elevating the academic prestige of this university. He should not have to sacrifice academic standards just so Butch Jones and company can recruit players that can barely read. Stanford, Northwestern and Vanderbilt are proving that you can have quality athletics programs without sacrificing academics. There are countless other examples particular to basketball. Duke, Georgetown, Xavier. So don't talk to me about how Cheek is ruining our athletics. He is doing his damn job. Maybe our coaches should try doing theirs for once.
all of the schools you mention allow academic exceptions for student athletes, except maybe northwestern. The chancellor had no oversight over athletics until late in the Fulmer/Hamilton regime because prior incarnations of the board of trustees recognized that the chancellor, who has to answer to the faculty senate, would be compelled to divert resources from the AD and that's exactly what happened. It took a combination of a weakened AD and some very left wing trustees appointed by Bredesen to get us where we are now. In the face of losing his newfound authority, Cheek did capitulate to Hart's request to restore the AD's resources TEMPORARILY. Hopefully, Haslam is appointing trustees who will have the interest and the will to restore oversight to the system president.

Reactions: 6 people

And he has gone backwards in his flagship program to make UT a Top-25 research institution. Meanwhile, he has hamstrung the one global brand of UT, a global brand which would BENEFIT his flagship program if it were on a level playing field with its rivals.

In addition, we are a land-grant public institution with a mandate to educate the good citizens of Tennessee. While I agree there are minimum standards to maintain, the higher standards have done nothing to advance his flagship program, do not seem in-line with a long term vision (has he enunciated one?), and could be seen as antithetical to the true mission of the University of Tennessee.

In short, what the hell has Jimmy Cheek done?

Fire Cheek. Fire Hart.

Reactions: 3 people
Cheek has good intentions but poor implementation. He wants to raise UT's academics, but part of that is spending money to hire better professors and upgrade the campus. What is the chief money maker of the University of Tennessee? It's not donors, it's UT athletics. Everytime he undercuts the UTAD he's hurting himself. The budget hires result in mediocre returns which lessens the revenue the UTAD draws in which gives him less of s pending pool in the future. Spend money now to make money in the future and that money will help to finance his plans, otherwise, the well is going to dry up on UT's cash cow. He doesn't have to like athletics, but he needs to see that it's his primary mode of funding all the things he hopes to accomplish.

He is the chancellor, not the president and why put us at recruiting disadvantage by not having same exception for athletes like other SEC schools?

Reactions: 4 people
And he has gone backwards in his flagship program to make UT a Top-25 research institution. Meanwhile, he has hamstrung the one global brand of UT, a global brand which would BENEFIT his flagship program if it were on a level playing field with its rivals.

In addition, we are a land-grant public institution with a mandate to educate the good citizens of Tennessee. While I agree there are minimum standards to maintain, the higher standards have done nothing to advance his flagship program, do not seem in-line with a long term vision (has he enunciated one?), and could be seen as antithetical to the true mission of the University of Tennessee.

In short, what the hell has Jimmy Cheek done?

Fire Cheek. Fire Hart.

Fire Hart? He fired Dooley and made what appears to be a very solid hire in Butch Jones. We have some dumb ass fans......

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back