Tennessee's 2013-2014 Basketball budget

Don't think candidates won't look at this and ask questions, Hart HAS to show more of a commitment to the basketball program if it's gonna become what we want.

Southeastern - By Men's Basketball Expenses (2013) - Basketball State

Finished 13/14 SEC teams, only ahead of Mississippi State in what Tennessee allows for a basketball budget. That's an issue.

Where would we rank had Cuonzo signed his deal?

I know the bball time guy likes to use that number but to me it's more a reflection of hiring a coach who didn't deserve the job due to our circumstance 3 years ago.

Michael White at 1.1 million. UT actually makes money in the trade White for Zo. Use the extra $$ along with the extra buyout $$ and allow White to hire a top end SEC recruiter for the staff.

Would I be OK with Hart ponying up 2.5-3 million a year for a Smart or Marshall? Of course I would. I just don't see that playing out. IMO White fits what Hart wants and financially sets UT up well going forward. The guy has been winning. IMO he can continue that at Tennessee.

I agree with your overall view on this though. We need to spend more on hoops. Paying Cuonzo more just for the sake of paying him more doesn't serve a purpose.

I'd like to know what goes into that number.

That rises and falls depending on what is being spent in a given year on facilities and other things. It was close to 7 million just a couple years ago.

When Hart came in, it was double that, and near the top of the SEC. He had a mess to clean up, and the athletic department was in the red. I think those numbers will start to level out in the next couple years and Tennessee will be back near the top.

Where would we rank had Cuonzo signed his deal?

I know the bball time guy likes to use that number but to me it's more a reflection of hiring a coach who didn't deserve the job due to our circumstance 3 years ago.

That number isn't solely coaching salary? It's about recruiting budgets, and things like that. Kentucky isn't paying Calipari $13m

When Hart came in, it was double that, and near the top of the SEC. He had a mess to clean up, and the athletic department was in the red. I think those numbers will start to level out in the next couple years and Tennessee will be back near the top.

I get that, but the basketball program is top 20 in what it brings in, but 75ish on what it spends?

That's not smart imo

Reactions: 1 person
That rises and falls depending on what is being spent in a given year on facilities and other things. It was close to 7 million just a couple years ago.

Even $7m as I high mark puts you around 5th, but yet we have fans saying we should be competing with Florida and Kentucky. If that's the case and the expectation, then maybe we should spend like them too.

Just seems to me like you've got one side saying I expect a top 20 program and competing for championships, and another side saying we're gonna spend money like we wanna be a top 50-75 program.

Something's gotta give.

Reactions: 2 people
I get that, but the basketball program is top 20 in what it brings in, but 75ish on what it spends?

That's not smart imo

As someone else mentioned, Hart came into a disaster financially with where hammy had UT. It's taken some time to try and right the ship. IMO it's still ongoing. Most things seem to point to him getting things on the right track. We'll see with this hire how confident Hart is with where UT is currently.

That's not smart imo

That's what you have to do when you are paying coaches multiple buyouts and putting 86000 in Neyland when we play non conference cupcakes. It's a zero sum game and football is untouchable.

Even $7m as I high mark puts you around 5th, but yet we have fans saying we should be competing with Florida and Kentucky. If that's the case and the expectation, then maybe we should spend like them too.

Just seems to me like you've got one side saying I expect a top 20 program and competing for championships, and another side saying we're gonna spend money like we wanna be a top 50-75 program.

Something's gotta give.

Only 5th in a given year. Some are high now because they are building things. Some are paying two coaches, like Auburn.

When we were at 7 million, only Kentucky was higher at that time at 11 million. It's unlikely we ever spend money on basketball like they do.

Michael White at 1.1 million. UT actually makes money in the trade White for Zo. Use the extra $$ along with the extra buyout $$ and allow White to hire a top end SEC recruiter for the staff.

Would I be OK with Hart ponying up 2.5-3 million a year for a Smart or Marshall? Of course I would. I just don't see that playing out. IMO White fits what Hart wants and financially sets UT up well going forward. The guy has been winning. IMO he can continue that at Tennessee.

White doesn't have much in the way of a resume, but he looks to be a rising star, and he would be a good fit at UT.

Only 5th in a given year. Some are high now because they are building things. Some are paying two coaches, like Auburn.

When we were at 7 million, only Kentucky was higher at that time at 11 million. It's unlikely we ever spend money on basketball like they do.

Well maybe candidates accept that and don't think twice about it, but I don't think it's a good look.

Don't think candidates won't look at this and ask questions, Hart HAS to show more of a commitment to the basketball program if it's gonna become what we want.

Southeastern - By Men's Basketball Expenses (2013) - Basketball State

Finished 13/14 SEC teams, only ahead of Mississippi State in what Tennessee allows for a basketball budget. That's an issue.

That's not a budget....it's what we spent.....hard to tell what any of that means without seeing a break down.

easy solution...

hire Mike White for 1 million a year...move 300k over to the asst coaches salaries.

you end up better off that way.

you cant expect to make it much further than sweet 16 with a budget ranking 74 lowest, why spend all the money on TBA and facilities if you aren't going to pony up and pay up for a coach to fill the stadium. Takes money to make money and right now we just aren't committed to the bball program

easy solution...

hire Mike White for 1 million a year...move 300k over to the asst coaches salaries.

you end up better off that way.

That is how I am looking at it. White's salary vs Zo's would be a +700-800 grand for UT. The buyouts would be another +600 grand for UT. I would imagine White's assistants make less than Zo's so there may be even more $$.

Hire a young energetic coach with a 71% winning clip and 7 years SEC experience. All while banking over a million bucks. I'll take it.

Reactions: 1 person
That is how I am looking at it. White's salary vs Zo's would be a +700-800 grand for UT. The buyouts would be another +600 grand for UT. I would imagine White's assistants make less than Zo's so there may be even more $$.

Hire a young energetic coach with a 71% winning clip and 7 years SEC experience. All while banking over a million bucks. I'll take it.

I've said if we are gonna go cheap he's my guy. You can load him with incentives to show you're willing to pay for results also, and show him support.

Next years team fits his style as well, and would maximize it's potential IMO.

That's not a budget....it's what we spent.....hard to tell what any of that means without seeing a break down.

This..its only part of it I.e total revenue n donations. It doesn't mean we don't have room to spend more.. That's what we need to know IMO..

That is on an annual basis. It does not take into account entire facility expenses. I am not a CPA, but I am sure the building expenditures are amortized on an annual basis. I agree that it could be lower because Hart is fixing some issues, but I also agree that questions will be asked and it could be a problem.

That is on an annual basis. It does not take into account entire facility expenses. I am not a CPA, but I am sure the building expenditures are amortized on an annual basis. I agree that it could be lower because Hart is fixing some issues, but I also agree that questions will be asked and it could be a problem.

It won't be a problem..... At least not the figures BTO found with Google.....when he sits down with a candidate Hart will discuss his salary money for assistants.....recruiting budget....and whatever else the new coach says he needs to be successful.....if we don't meet those demands them it will be a problem but we don't even know what the numbers mean that BTO found.

It won't be a problem..... At least not the figures BTO found with Google.....when he sits down with a candidate Hart will discuss his salary money for assistants.....recruiting budget....and whatever else the new coach says he needs to be successful.....if we don't meet those demands them it will be a problem but we don't even know what the numbers mean that BTO found.

Then maybe you should read :hi:

VN Store

Back