Good article at explaining things

This, in my opinion is a great explanation on why Martin is now at Cal.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1632229

The only issue I have with that article is the fact they used Green’s statistics to elevate Gonzos. Put his statistics alone and they are not that impressive.
Our fan base is getting absolutely shredded in the media. Pat Forde’s article was way out of line and filled with baseless opinions, skewed statistics, purposefully omitted statistics, and shortsightedness. Most of the criticism is undeserved. Next year, if we have a poor season, every asinine journalist will post an article about how our program would have been in better shape if we had not run Gonzo off.
This is another article that I believe properly characterizes the situation: Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved | NBC Sports

Reactions: 2 people
So some fans want a clown? What great coach fits that profile? Give me someone who wins. I don't care if they sky dive into the arena.

Reactions: 1 person
Actually not a good article at all.

A) Green was ran out because he was a straight up ******* to the fan base. To the point of contempt. He was also far more successful than Martin, so combining their records is Hubbs trying to sell a bill of goods vs what Martin actually was here.

B) You need to win here. If you can do that and not insult the fans, you'll be fine. DeVoe was loved here when he was winning. Stokley was packed. He had the Anti-Mears personality.

C) Martin bailed. He wasn't fired. He quit, ran away. Saw the writing on the wall. Cashed in his chips. Any other cliche is fitting. His recruiting didn't have us in a position to maintain.

D) Most of the fan fervor had calmed down once we went on the winning streak. The fans didn't want sweet 16 Martin fired. They wanted "here we go again" Martin fired. Even his most ardent supporters on here said they were done after A&M pt 2.

I don't give one damn about unicycles or chest painting. I does help to do things like give a shout out to students. To reach back to the past and bring in former Vol legends. To be personable and get guest slots on shows like PTI. That raises your profile and aids in recruiting.

Recruit good players. Win basketball games. Don't commit dumbass violations. Don't go out of your way to insult the fan base.

Do those things and you'll be loved here. Lose games, fail to make the NCAAs year after year, you'll feel heat. It happens at every single school in every major conference that gives a whit about basketball.

Reactions: 8 people
If UT didn't hire Cuonzo I can just about assure he'd still be at Misery State. The ONLY reason they hired him was the uncertainty of NCAA issues at the time.
He had an 11th hour run and lucked out on the draw. UT can do better.

Reactions: 3 people
Funny that so many people feel the need to hire a circus clown to entertain them rather than hire a solid top coach.

If UT didn't hire Cuonzo I can just about assure he'd still be at Misery State. The ONLY reason they hired him was the uncertainty of NCAA issues at the time.
He had an 11th hour run and lucked out on the draw. UT can do better.

Martin was one of the hot up and coming coaches when he came to U.T.

He had been instrumental in helping build a Purdue roster that had 3 NBA draft picks and was an Robbie Hummel A.C.L. tear away from something big. He was also instrumental in recruiting Carl Landry, so that would be a 4th NBA player.

He had taken Missouri St., a perennial loser, to a conference championship in 3 years.

He was a respected member of the coaching community and ran a clean program.

He was getting a job somewhere. For all involved, it was a shame that he ended up at U.T.

Last edited:
This, in my opinion is a great explanation on why Martin is now at Cal.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1632229

I agree with that. I'd rather have a losing season with a showman OR at least someone who cares, than a mediocre one with someone who can't connect to the program. The death of coaches here is that you must not be boring - you must stand out. You must show that you care about the game being played in front of you, especially in a sport like basketball where you're front and center and a more direct part of the game.

Even Summitt who wasn't known for zaniness stood out because of that icy stare that could throw daggers as well as the emotion she showed getting in a player's ear or at refs. She was a showman too albeit in a non-zany way and we loved her for it - still do. And even in football... A lot of fans were driven nutty and wanted Fulmer gone partly because he was so vanilla and stoic.

So yeah I agree with the premise that Vol fans love a coach with emotion - in fact, we eventually grow restless and demand it. And when you look at the nature of college fandom, it makes sense. Cheering for a college team, no matter the actual sport, is about your university, your community, your state, your region, your family and various bonds and ties to the university and team that just don't exist in other levels of sport. We don't just cheer for our team - we love them and a coach damn better act like he or she loves it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Pat Summitt.

If you're asking me for a list of potential hires for this job based on personality, I don't have a clue. I just know that the face of the program matters.

Pat Summitt? Really? A women's coach is the best you can come up with? Like I said you don't need a showman. Just a winner. I didn't say candidates. Just name a college coach like you are describing. Most don't chest paint and stuff like Pearl. I liked him when he was here but he isn't a top ten coach.

Last edited:
I agree with that. I'd rather have a losing season with a showman than a mediocre one with someone who can't connect to the program. The death of coaches here is that you must not be boring - you must stand out. You must show that you care about the game being played in front of you, especially in a sport like basketball where you're front and center and a more direct part of the game.

Even Summitt who wasn't known for zaniness stood out because of that icy stare that could throw daggers as well as the emotion she showed getting in a player's ear or at refs. She was a showman too albeit in a non-zany way and we loved her for it - still do. And even in football... A lot of fans were driven nutty and wanted Fulmer gone partly because he was so vanilla and stoic.

So yeah I agree with the premise that Vol fans love a coach with emotion - in fact, we eventually grow restless and demand it. And when you look at the nature of college fandom, it makes sense. Cheering for a college team, no matter the actual sport, is about your university, your community, your state, your region, your family and various bonds and ties to the university and team that just don't exist in other levels of sport. We don't just cheer for our team - we love them and a coach damn better act like he or she loves it too.

As I said previously then, Gregg Marshall better not be on the coaching search if personality is a big factor. He has missed out on several coaching jobs because of his personality.

Apparently Hubbs thinks that Vol basketball fans are either dumbasses or children.

What were you saying?

I agree with that. I'd rather have a losing season with a showman than a mediocre one with someone who can't connect to the program. The death of coaches here is that you must not be boring - you must stand out. You must show that you care about the game being played in front of you, especially in a sport like basketball where you're front and center and a more direct part of the game.

VN Store

Back