Martin: A few indisputable facts to remember...

Morpheus

While the circus surrounding Coach Martin's departure from knoxville has been highly entertaining, I would like to point out a few things that seem to be consistently missed by those who've succumbed to the media frenzy.

1. Coach Martin was the last of the Mike Hamilton hires in the major sports.

2. All the major sports suffered some form of embarrassing controversy during Hamilton's tenure.

3. The UTAD devolved from a thriving, rich athletic department under Dickey, to a relative poverty stricken third world disaster by the end of Mike Hamilton's reign. It is still struggling to rebuild.

4. One of the primary reasons for the decline in UT athletics was Hamilton's inability to negotiate contracts that didn't leave the AD in a precarious position down the road.

5. Dave Hart refused to do what Hamilton did.

6. UT BBall was going to struggle next year to live up to the fan base's expectations. Martin has not recruited well and all the key players were leaving.

7. The likelihood of Hart having to fire Martin next year and pay a large buyout was fairly high.

8. The petition was never going to "Bring Back Bruce", but it appears to have served to expedite the process of removing Martin now before the program was set back even further, and it likely saved the AD millions.

9. I did not sign the petition.

10. The media exists to sell words and pictures. Drama, exaggeration, sensationalism sells. If something news-worthy happens at a place with a large, passionate fan base, writers will take the most extreme position they can to get people reading, watching, listening. Its how they make a living.

11. Besides the petition, nothing that happened with Martin is all that unusual in the world of sports.

So in summary, anyone getting caught up in all the media nonsense need to relax and enjoy the fact we have an AD who knows what he's doing. Yes we had a dysfunctional AD under Hamilton, but this is the final fallout from his regime. If you feel the need to blame someone, blame him.

Martin is a good guy and decent coach, but he was following a successful, fan-favorite coach, which very rarely works out long-term. Even if the next guy turns out to be mediocre, this divorce needed to happen anyway, given all of the above.

Good luck Coach Martin and Go Vols!

Reactions: 21 people
This is why I think Cuonzo would do better in the NBA than in college. He doesn't like PR, recruiting, university life, or being a "general manager." He wants to be a basketball coach and only a basketball coach. That's not possible at most SEC schools.

He's a good coach, but college BB is as much about recruiting as it is coaching. Without more talent coming in, he was setting himself up for a downward spiral.

Reactions: 2 people
This is why I think Cuonzo would do better in the NBA than in college. He doesn't like PR, recruiting, university life, or being a "general manager." He wants to be a basketball coach and only a basketball coach. That's not possible at most SEC schools.

He's a good coach, but college BB is as much about recruiting as it is coaching. Without more talent coming in, he was setting himself up for a downward spiral.

Couldn't agree more. :good!:

I agree with OP on this one. Martin was pretty much the same hire as Dooley was in football. They were both soft spoken "safe" hires following what happened with Pearl and Kiffin. At least Martin made a good tourney run this past season and gave us a little excitement. Once you loose the fan-base to the point where they get 30,000 signatures on a petition it is hard to come back and feel supported. I am not happy that Martin is gone, but it is not the end of the world.

Also, I will not be jumping on the "let's go get" Marshall, Shaka, or whoever else is unobtainable bandwagon.

Reactions: 1 person
The OP makes very good points about former AD Mike Hamilton, the man who gave us the moniker Buyout U.

More good points.

Demeanor-wise, Cuonzo is on par with Kevin O'Neil. Connecting with the fans and boosters is just not his bag. And yeah, maybe we've been spoiled by the exuberance of CBP...and currently by CBJ...but so what?
Rub our belly a little and we fill up TBA and Neyland Stadium...prid pro quo, ya know?

The OP makes very good points about former AD Mike Hamilton, the man who gave us the moniker Buyout U.

More good points.

Demeanor-wise, Cuonzo is on par with Kevin O'Neil. Connecting with the fans and boosters is just not his bag. And yeah, maybe we've been spoiled by the exuberance of CBP...and currently by CBJ...but so what?
Rub our belly a little and we fill up TBA and Neyland Stadium...prid pro quo, ya know?

Exactly. The Vol Nation fan base is quite healthy in spite of all thats happened.

Better days ahead.

You mean the conversation that has been deeply debated in the numerous other threads on the same subject?

Yes. The one you are currently interrupting with nothing but smart ass remarks.

If you prefer one of the others, go there.

More good points.

CCM is not like Kevin O'Neil. Maybe both weren't very charismatic but from all accounts, O'Neil was a foul mouth arrogant SOB who was difficult to get along with. That is not CCM.

VN Store

Back