The perception of our fans.

GBOVOLS

So everyone who's complaining about how the media is wrong, our perception of CCM, and how Dave Hart needs to be shown the door are failing to see the reality. The perception of CCM is that he is developing into a good coach that people want. That's why both Marquette and Cal came knocking.

Now the perception our fan base is that we are irrational, impatient, and unappreciative which is a reality. The way the Dooley saga and most recently the Martin situation played out has given our program a bad wrap. If we as a fan base don't grow and learn from this we will be come irrelevant in every sport. I know it's not all of the fans but the acts of the few are the voice of many in this case. Don't think for a sec that other coaches aren't taking note. You can say money talks and all that B.S. if you want but most of these coaches will live a well above average lifestyle if they never come to UT.

Reactions: 3 people
If offering a mediocre coach a 500k raise and a 2 yr extension is what you consider irrational, then I agree. That was a dumb move , we should have shown him the door.

People panned Bama for all the football coaches it cycled through between Stallings and Saban. Who got the last laugh? If the fanbase doesn't demand a winner, the AD is not going to invest the resources necessary to deliver one.

Reactions: 1 person
Now the perception our fan base is that we are irrational, impatient, and unappreciative which is a reality. The way the Dooley saga and most recently the Martin situation played out has given our program a bad wrap. If we as a fan base don't grow and learn from this we will be come irrelevant in every sport. I know it's not all of the fans but the acts of the few are the voice of many in this case. Don't think for a sec that other coaches aren't taking note. You can say money talks and all that B.S. if you want but most of these coaches will live a well above average lifestyle if they never come to UT.

Huh, how are the two at all the same? Dooley got worse results on the field and in recruiting every year he was here. Anyone who didn't think he should have been fired obviously wants UT to be mired in perdurable mediocrity. If anything, the fans are to blame for allowing Dooley be here too long.

Reactions: 2 people
I really don't give a sh** what others think of our fan base. Some of the complainers are trolls and some are just a too passionate. That's ok. I still love UT.

So everyone who's complaining about how the media is wrong, our perception of CCM, and how Dave Hart needs to be shown the door are failing to see the reality. The perception of CCM is that he is developing into a good coach that people want. That's why both Marquette and Cal came knocking.

Thanks for the self righteous lecture!:finger3:

People panned Bama for all the football coaches it cycled through between Stallings and Saban. Who got the last laugh? If the fanbase doesn't demand a winner, the AD is not going to invest the resources necessary to deliver one.

The fan base can demand a winner in a civil, respectful way. Im an alumni of UT and Im pissed at how our reputation has been tarnished by so many childish people who use the phrase "passionate fan" to justify stupid behavior.

Reactions: 12 people
Huh, how are the two at all the same? Dooley got worse results on the field and in recruiting every year he was here. Anyone who didn't think he should have been fired obviously wants UT to be mired in perdurable mediocrity. If anything, the fans are to blame for allowing Dooley be here too long.

No he deserved to go mos def. I am referring to the constant public humiliation. That's a trend with us.

the fan base can demand a winner in a civil, respectful way. Im an alumni of ut and im pissed at how our reputation has been tarnished by so many childish people who use the phrase "passionate fan" to justify stupid behavior.

exactly.

Marquette didn't want him. When Marquette made an offer to Wojo, an assistant, Martin then withdrew.

The fan base can demand a winner in a civil, respectful way. Im an alumni of UT and Im pissed at how our reputation has been tarnished by so many childish people who use the phrase "passionate fan" to justify stupid behavior.

I agree with this; however, one of the downfalls of a "passionate fan base" is that there will always be a vocal minority that does some careless, dumb things to damage the school's reputation during tough times.

IMO this was a perfect storm with the Pearl situation.

If you picked any other school with a similarly "rabid" fan base and put them in the same scenario we've had over the past 5 years, I guarantee you that it would've played out the same (or at least similar) way.

For instance, let's say Billy D @ FLA was canned after NCAA violations, but continued to live in Gainesville and talk about how much he loves the city, the fans, etc.

Then XYZ coach comes in and puts a consistently mediocre product on the court for 2.75 years, in spite of having legit talent.

I guarantee you there would be a mid-season "Bring Billy D Back" petition going thru Gatorland, a la fireronzook.com.

We want to win and want a coach who wins. Yep, we're all a bunch of jerks. Nothing like other fan bases.

But we are NOT other fan bases. WE ARE UT. We should be better than other fan bases. Coaches and recruits should want to come to UT because we have a passionate, supportive and rational fan base. Not crazy @$$ inbreds that throw bricks through windows, or harass spouses, or poison trees. Crazy and irrational incites a mob mentality that only hurts UT in the long run.

Great initial post - this is an issue that has to be addressed. Those Tennessee fans who can't support our teams and our coaches without making irrational, unrealistic and downright mean comments about them should simply move on. The Tennessee fan base doesn't need you. We don't want you. Move along.

For those who love UT and respect our players and coaches, we have a lot to look forward to in the months and years to come.

Go VOLS!!!!

There is a myriad of factors that coaches use to decide how attractive a job is. The delta between the number of redneck fans at school a vs school b is about 20th on the list. This whole topic is preposterous

Other than the petition....I would say our fans have been pretty tolerable. What fanbase doesn't want to win? What fanbase doesn't have those that take things too far? Are we really any different than any other fanbase in the SEC? Any coach coming in here following Bruce was going to have a difficult time, because Bruce loved UT and was loved by the fans...and had some success and took our basketball program to a higher level. Counzo was the absolute opposite of everything Bruce, BUT speaking for myself, I moved on from Bruce and welcomed and supported Counzo. ESPN and most of the other media outlets North of the Mason-Dixon love to make us look like stupid, irrational, ignorant rednecks and hillbillies, and yes, there are some of those...not just UT fans, but at bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn......but the majority of UT fans, and Tennesseans in general, Southerners in general, are loyal, good-hearted, level minded and we work hard and we play hard and love our sports teams. Our passion sometimes pushes us to say or do things that seem unreasonable to others, even downright malicious to others...that same passion is what makes us the biggest, most successful conference in the NCAA...and fills our stadiums week after week, sells the shirts and hats at record levels...I don't condone petitions to replace a sitting coach, or poisoning trees on campus or anything like that, but as a fan, do we have the right and at least small responsibility to demand success and accountability from the University that we support? Dang right we do. I love Butch, but if we are still finishing at 5-7 or 6-6 after 3 seasons I would expect that Dave Hart is sitting at his desk making a list of potential Head Coach candidates. Counzo was a good guy from most accounts, but so was Coach Fulmer. Just being a nice guy doesn't produce wins, and if you don't produce wins you produce mediocrity and apathy. Another mediocre season and UT basketball would be back to where it was before Bruce came in and turned it all around. Dave Hart has the opportunity to find the right fit for UT. Counzo wasn't it.

All fan based are the same. Some programs just win enough to hide it.

I'm not saying your wrong, but do Missouri and Arkansas fans have 40k signatures? Are their reports of crosses being burnt in their yards? Were their wives called at their place of employment and harassed?

They may have been, but if so I missed it.

Exactly! I'm glad UTs fan base cares enough to speak up & not sit around whining about how mediocre we are! The media preaches how the fans really have no voice or choice in hires or fires, then blasts the fans when someone leaves for another job. Can't have it both ways!! Good riddance Zo...we'll upgrade now

The next shoe to drop on Vol Nation will be when Butch gets ran off or leaves on his own after he starts getting blasted by the fans after a couple more 6-7 loss seasons.

Great initial post - this is an issue that has to be addressed. Those Tennessee fans who can't support our teams and our coaches without making irrational, unrealistic and downright mean comments about them should simply move on. The Tennessee fan base doesn't need you. We don't want you. Move along.

For those who love UT and respect our players and coaches, we have a lot to look forward to in the months and years to come.

Go VOLS!!!!

Love and support our coaches if they WIN! If they're losers they can hit the road and a new coach can be found. UT and it's fans shouldn't tolerate mediocrity

VN Store

Back