The Petitioners were right

oregonvol

I didn't sign the petition. I thought Cuonzo Martin was a solid, dependable guy and that we ought to let the season play out.

But, in hindsight, I have to admit, those of you who signed the petition were right.

You were right because Martin turned out to not be a solid guy. Turns out, he can't handle criticism.Turns out, he's the kind of guy who doesn't expect his job to be on the line when heading for his 3rd straight NIT at a major program. Turns out, he's the type of guy who will issue a statement saying he's staying at a school and praising their fans, and then do an about face two weeks later, while on a recruiting visit paid for by that school and their fans (taking said recruit with him to his new job). I had him all wrong.

You were right because, it turns out, we really couldn't wait for the season to play out. Before it did, Auburn swooped in and hired Bruce Pearl away. It was a move that was almost universally praised by the same media that seems intent to criticize UT fans for wanting the same thing for their program.

I just wanted to say that I was wrong. The petitioners were right. They didn't jump the gun. Had the rest of us listened to them, we would have a proven elite basketball coach right now, and we wouldn't have kept giving chances to an untrustworthy guy who can't handle criticism.

Reactions: 80 people
If Kwanzos skin is this THIN, he might want to consider other career options, like maybe politics!

Reactions: 4 people
I didn't sign the petition. I thought Cuonzo Martin was a solid, dependable guy and that we ought to let the season play out.

But, in hindsight, I have to admit, those of you who signed the petition were right.

You were right because Martin turned out to not be a solid guy. Turns out, he can't handle criticism.Turns out, he's the kind of guy who doesn't expect his job to be on the line when heading for his 3rd straight NIT at a major program. Turns out, he's the type of guy who will issue a statement saying he's staying at a school and praising their fans, and then do an about face two weeks later, while on a recruiting visit paid for by that school and their fans (taking said recruit with him to his new job). I had him all wrong.

You were right because, it turns out, we really couldn't wait for the season to play out. Before it did, Auburn swooped in and hired Bruce Pearl away. It was a move that was almost universally praised by the same media that seems intent to criticize UT fans for wanting the same thing for their program.

I just wanted to say that I was wrong. The petitioners were right. They didn't jump the gun. Had the rest of us listened to them, we would have a proven elite basketball coach right now, and we wouldn't have kept giving chances to an untrustworthy guy who can't handle criticism.

If you want to bring back Bruce because he can coach his ass off, fine. But don't post in terms of trading one for the other due to character and expect people to read it with a straight face.

Reactions: 6 people
i think his skin is pretty thick, he just chose not to have to deal with it.

y'all keep trashing the man and i haven't heard or see him say one negative thing about tennessee on his way out.

y'all wanted him out and he basically said "ok".

we'll see how it works out for both parties.

Reactions: 16 people
I for one signed the petition. I wanted Pearl then as I do now. My opinion on CCM has NEVER changed. Even now. Great guy. Family man. Good recruiter.. but for some reason the production just not there.

My response to hearing the Kiffin news : Through my phone at the couch, through the McDonalds food I was eating at my friend, and cursed out my best friend when he laughed.

My response to CCM : Kind of laughed.. didnt really care.. moved on with my day.

My point is most of the fanbase didnt want him here anyway.. and most important NEITHER DID THE ADMINISTRATION. Hopefully we get a great coach to come in.. but stop saying CCM isnt a great guy or he betrayed us. I would have done the EXACT same thing (Just not to Cal). He's a Stokes guy.. Stokes left.. CCM realized a tourny miss which would mean him getting fired would be a real possibility next year so he took the safer option for his family..

just my 2 cents

Reactions: 8 people

y'all keep trashing the man and i haven't heard or see him say one negative thing about tennessee on his way out.

I HATE agreeing with you...but I do.

Reactions: 1 person

That's . . . pretty much it.

If you want to bring back Bruce because he can coach his ass off, fine. But don't post in terms of trading one for the other due to character and expect people to read it with a straight face.

You must have misread my post, because I said no such thing.

Reactions: 5 people

This part of the OP post says what kind of character Zo has... exactly none.. Zo is scum.. I am glad he is gone.

Turns out, he's the type of guy who will issue a statement saying he's staying at a school and praising their fans, and then do an about face two weeks later, while on a recruiting visit paid for by that school and their fans (taking said recruit with him to his new job)

It's threads like these that just go to show many VOL fans simply don't have a clue. The Bruce Pearl petition was a big mistake and the reflection of a fan base that is never content and simply clueless.

In fact, even after the incredible job Butch Jones is doing in bringing back the Volunteer football team, there are many fans who continuously come to this site to spout their ridiculous statements - such as predictions and expectations for 8 or more wins this season. What a joke you people are.

Much of it is a sign of immature, instant gratification fans who have no idea or simply want to ignore the fact that it will take several seasons to return Tennessee to a position where we can compete with top SEC teams on a regular basis.

I'm looking forward to that day as much as any VOL fan on the planet. In the meantime, let's all cheer on the VOL teams with passion and some sense of reality in mind.

Go VOLS!!!!!

I think eventually we'll find out it wasn't as much about the fans as it was the support from the University boosters and the contract Hart offered. I am almost certain he signed for less money with Cal, but i bet his buyout was a lot higher.

You must have misread my post, because I said no such thing.

This is ripped out of context, but you said . . .

and we wouldn't have kept giving chances to an untrustworthy guy
. . . which I found ironic because bringing back Pearl would be trading one untrustworthy guy for the previous untrustworthy guy.

There are plenty of reasons to be glad Martin is gone, but it's never been an either Martin or Pearl proposition. Therefore, the petition was inconsequential other than, IMO, it made us look silly.

Why is everyone still on Bruce Pearl jock is beyond me?He won here,got us in hot water and on tv with a Auburn helmet screaming War Eagle!He only care about who is paying him and not us.

This part of the OP post says what kind of character Zo has... exactly none.. Zo is scum.. I am glad he is gone.

I don't like the way that part of it went down either, but coaching changes are rarely pretty.

Why is everyone still on Bruce Pearl jock is beyond me?He won here,got us in hot water and on tv with a Auburn helmet screaming War Eagle!He only care about who is paying him and not us.

:good!:

Hard to overcome nostalgia I guess.

Reactions: 2 people
It's threads like these that just go to show many VOL fans simply don't have a clue. The Bruce Pearl petition was a big mistake and the reflection of a fan base that is never content and simply clueless.

In fact, even after the incredible job Butch Jones is doing in bringing back the Volunteer football team, there are many fans who continuously come to this site to spout their ridiculous statements - such as predictions and expectations for 8 or more wins this season. What a joke you people are.

Much of it is a sign of immature, instant gratification fans who have no idea or simply want to ignore the fact that it will take several seasons to return Tennessee to a position where we can compete with top SEC teams on a regular basis.

I'm looking forward to that day as much as any VOL fan on the planet. In the meantime, let's all cheer on the VOL teams with passion and some sense of reality in mind.

Go VOLS!!!!!

Mistake is a matter of preception.... most Vol fans that signed the petition believe that Kudzoo's teams were boring at best ... when compaired to Bruce

I do not know if Pearl should come back (that is up to the Adminstration, not me) But he was closer to Ray Mears in coaching style that anyone I have seen at UT in a long time... I liked that

This is ripped out of context, but you said . . .

. . . which I found ironic because bringing back Pearl would be trading one untrustworthy guy for the previous untrustworthy guy.

There are plenty of reasons to be glad Martin is gone, but it's never been an either Martin or Pearl proposition. Therefore, the petition was inconsequential other than, IMO, it made us look silly.

You said that I wanted to trade one for the other on the basis of character.

Here:
don't post in terms of trading one for the other due to character

I never said any such thing.

To clarify (though I think it is pretty clear already), I said that I didn't sign the petition because Cuozo's principle qualities were his character and dependability. He proved me wrong on those counts. I never suggested that character was among Pearl's principle qualies. But his qualities (proven track record, success after success) aren't shared by Cuonzo either.

All of you nay sayers will regret this move for probably the next 3 seasons. We are not going to get an elite coach. The fan base has proven that they expect miracles and will call for your ouster if you don't bring them in your first season. Does not matter that the incoming coach will have his own system and will have to try and make it fit to the talent he has now. If you lose a game on a bad call at the end of the game it is the coach's fault, let's fire him. Have a player have a bad shooting night, fire the coach. Take your unranked team into a top ten teams house and play a close game you could have won but don't, fire the coach. After being criticized relentlessly for a year the coach thanks the fans who have stood by the team during the rough stretch, fire the coach for not thanking the #$$ wipes who complain all the time.

And you wonder why we are not going to get an elite type coach. BP was not an elite coach when he got here. He was an up and comer. He did some good stuff while he was here but he also got in trouble with the NCAA. We could not keep him. He will not be back as coach at Tennessee so please stop asking for something that will never happen. Please quit expecting the new coach to take us to the national championship in two or three years and expect him to win the SEC his first year. It is not going to happen. I predict that we get another mid major up and coming coach who will struggle with recruiting because he is trying to get kids to come to a school where the fans will rip them apart every time they have a bad game, make a mistake or don't live up to your expectations. The fans will be calling for him to be fired before the first season is over because we will probably only win 15 or 16 games next season and barely make the NIT. Now here comes the shocker, you can only blame yourself because you have given this school this reputation. You whiners, complainers, and non basketball playing experts have taken any chance for this program to improve and go to the next level. One bad call away from being in the elite eight for only the second time in school history and you complain.

Do me a favor this next year. Shut your trap. If you can't find something good to say just shut up. You are becoming a plague on this university. Enthusiasm for your school is expected but constant complaint and pointing fingers make you look like a Gator fan not a Vol fan. Have some respect and get you expectations for the next few years on a level that is obtainable not just a pipe dream. No one goes to the national championship in their first year. We have never played for a national championship in basketball so don't expect the next coach to do it in 2015. Please use some common sense.

Exactly

VN Store

Back