Perception of Cuonzo

cbrown

I think it's interesting how expectations can affect perception. If Cuonzo had followed Buzz Peterson and produced the same 63-41 record, the fanbase would have been 100% supportive. However, his problem was replacing the most successful (and perhaps popular) coach in TN basketball history.

Whether or not he did a good job in his three years at TN can be argued. You could look at his 63-41 record and say that he averaged 20 wins/season, or you could look at it and say he did it in a time when the SEC was very weak and should have been more like 73-31. You could focus on an impressive Sweet 16 run, or you could interpret it as a good run against bad teams at the end of the regular season and a fortunate draw in the tournament. You could argue that he has recruited good kids that have stayed out of trouble, or you could say that aside from Robert Hubbs, none of his recruits have been over a 3-star. I think reality resides somewhere in the middle on all counts.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that Cuonzo is not a great coach or terrible coach, and TN has a 50/50 chance of hiring a better coach. Having been shown what TN basketball is capable of by his predecessor, I'm willing to roll the dice.

Reactions: 2 people
Anyone who followed Pearl would have been treated the same way unless they exceeded what he accomplished.
Follow the same pattern in hiring this time and the 20 win seasons we've had might begin to look pretty darn good.

My perception of CCM is that he was not an effective coach. W/L numbers are important to fans also, but when you sit and watch opposing coaches licking their chops because they knew they could out coach CCM, it gets old. I have criticized CCM and staff, so I can expect to be criticized, and that is ok. The big negative to CCM security came when the heavy supporters backed away. That said "CCM go find yourself another job"....And he did. With that said, I sure hope AD and co. finds us a winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm surprised that Martin didn't call a time out before taking the Cal job.

Thats the way it is in sports, in life really. You eat McDonalds your whole life no problem. You eat that Porterhouse steak a few times.. the McDouble all of a sudden aint so cool..

I'm a diehard Patriots fan. Our season expectations before Bill was "Well.. a wildcard would be cool". Now its Super Bowl or Bust every year.. and I feel like even when Brady and Bill both leave we will still expect to win a SB..

just the way it is in sports.. sorry Cuonz

Anyone who followed Pearl would have been treated the same way unless they exceeded what he accomplished.
Follow the same pattern in hiring this time and the 20 win seasons we've had might begin to look pretty darn good.

It follows the old saying that you never want to be the coach that follows the legend. You want to be the guy that follows the guy who followed the legend...

I think CCM was a good coach as far as taking care of players. He isn't great at on the floor coaching has trouble recruiting and relating to fans. He may do alright in California they are more laid back than we are. They will like him and his mild manner even if he loses he will stay four years. Fans there will use every excuse in the book as to why he isn't winning. So for him it was a winning situation. If he lost here next season fans would be all over him again and would have totally forgotten about last season.

VN Store

Back