Official Rick Byrd Thread

He would be a gamble,can he recruit to an SEC level? He's a damn good coach however

He has recruited well enough to beat acc teams and take UT teams to the buzzer with good pg play, a spread out offense and shooters all over the court while at a tiny Art and music school.

Reactions: 8 people
He has recruited well enough to beat acc teams and take UT teams to the buzzer with good pg play, a spread out offense and shooters all over the court while at a tiny Art and music school.
It's different playing a high level team 5 games a year compared to every game like he would be here. Not saying he isn't a great coach. But I don't think he would be as good as everyone thinks here. Hell of an in game coach though.

Reactions: 4 people
It's different playing a high level team 5 games a year compared to every game like he would be here. Not saying he isn't a great coach. But I don't think he would be as good as everyone thinks here. Hell of an in game coach though.

Exactly. There's a reason he's still at Belmont.

Reactions: 1 person

nobody can predict outside of a handful of coaches. The man knows the game though. Knows pg play and knows how to get shooters open looks. I'd have taken several of Belmont's players on our team the last few years, especially at pg and at the 4

Hubbs would score 20 a game in Byrds system.... Hubbs never fit into Martins system, not would most true shooters.

nobody can predict outside of a handful of coaches. The man knows the game though. Knows pg play and knows how to get shooters open looks. I'd have taken several of Belmont's players on our team the last few years, especially at pg and at the 4

No one is saying he isn't a great coach. But with age and the level he's been coaching at his whole career. He's just not the right fit for here. Would I be mad if we got him? No, but there are better fits for us out there than him.

Rick Byrd would be an upgrade over several SEC coaches.

As far as the recruiting. Facilities and league can make a huge difference on your ability to get players. Ask our current football coach how much it makes.

No one is saying he isn't a great coach. But with age and the level he's been coaching at his whole career. He's just not the right fit for here. Would I be mad if we got him? No, but there are better fits for us out there than him.

I don't care who we get as long as they can coach the things that Martin doesn't get. Or at least not wait 2.5 years and a petition later to get in gear.

Good coach...but old...and idk if he can recruit to the SEC?

You say that like the SEC basketball recruiting is equal to SEC Football. SEC isn't a premier conference. It has two heavy hitters and thats it. 2/14 teams isn't that good. The fact that our facilities and budget should be a big up in recruiting from the get go even if Dooley was the basketball coach.

He would be an upgrade. I would not think he would leave Belmont after being there 28 years, that is home. I would think as good a coach as he is, he has had several opportunities to go to a larger program.

His age and ability to recruit would be question marks. But if he felt he had another 10 years in him, I would take him in a heartbeat, and think he would add great stability to the program.

You would have to consider he would not be bringing his Belmont players with him to Knoxville if he were hired. He would be recruiting SEC players to play in the SEC. If a coaches system works, it works. Plugging in more talented players just makes for a better product on the court if they are coachable.

Give me a break! The guy is 60 years old! That is not an age factor! He is also 689-356 in his entire coaching career. The reason he is still at Belmont is because he wants to be at Belmont. Remind you of any other mid major coaches who are quite happy where they are? Tennessee would have a hard time recruiting him!! Belmont has perennially been able to play with the big boys! They beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill last year. They beat Stanford at Stanford the previous season. They lost to Duke by 1 point the season before that. And you say he can't coach in the SEC???

Reactions: 2 people
I know Rick Byrd and he is a great coach. He started his career while at Maryville College back in the 70's. Rick can take mid-talent players and develop them to compete with top players. Give him three to five years to see results, then you will see the top recruits come in.

VN Store

Back