Cuonzo should have been fired.

SmokeyLives

Every dog has his day!
He was a Hamilton last gasp coaching project. He played for Gene Keady, but he didn't coach like Keady. He was and is a coaching project in progress.

Recruiting: C- : Josh Richardson is the only guy he brought in who has produced. We still don't have a point guard. Roster unsettled and shaky at best.

Player development: C- : Stokes never progressed beyond his first year talent. The raw talent on this team carried it as far as it could go, despite Cuonzo.

In game coaching: D. : it's well documented on this and other sites how poorly Cuonzo managed timeouts. Half time adjustments, rotation, game situations, all pathetic.

Off the court: A : no Pilot station drama, no recruiting violations. Academic excellence though? Not. But a good job in this area overall.

Public relations: F : epic fail. Couldn't even hear the man speak. Rarely projected enthusiasm for the job or the school. Did not ever from day one rally fan support.

Tournaments: D : yeah, he made a run to the sweet sixteen over Iowa, UMass, and Mercer. Notable but these teams wouldn't be 500 in the SEC, which is down. Played Florida tough? Once. Mediocre in the conference. Two NIT appearances with two ugly losses. Basically, nothing to see here.

In summary, glad he's gone. Let's get a real coach.

Reactions: 26 people
I think you are way over the top with your overall assessment honestly, though I agree with some of your grades.

I do question your mentioning of JRich as his only recruit of note that had produced though. Stokes came in and produced right away and did so for two and a half years. I think Thompson and Hubbs will produce in time as well, and all of the incoming freshmen if they stick.

And player development. I think he got a lot out of McRae, Maymon, JRich, Stokes. Those players are all better than when they got to Tennessee. They all improved every season too. It's hard to knock his player development.

I'm with you on the other areas. In game coaching, while improving, was lacking even into the latter parts of his third season. Personality was terrible along with media relations.

Reactions: 5 people
He hit the reset button knowing there was a huge possibility he would have been fired after next year. He knew his ship was sinking so he bailed.

Reactions: 3 people
He was a Hamilton last gasp coaching project. He played for Gene Keady, but he didn't coach like Keady. He was and is a coaching project in progress.

Recruiting: C- : Josh Richardson is the only guy he brought in who has produced. We still don't have a point guard. Roster unsettled and shaky at best.

Player development: C- : Stokes never progressed beyond his first year talent. The raw talent on this team carried it as far as it could go, despite Cuonzo.

In game coaching: D. : it's well documented on this and other sites how poorly Cuonzo managed timeouts. Half time adjustments, rotation, game situations, all pathetic.

Off the court: A : no Pilot station drama, no recruiting violations. Academic excellence though? Not. But a good job in this area overall.

Public relations: F : epic fail. Couldn't even hear the man speak. Rarely projected enthusiasm for the job or the school. Did not ever from day one rally fan support.

Tournaments: D : yeah, he made a run to the sweet sixteen over Iowa, UMass, and Mercer. Notable but these teams wouldn't be 500 in the SEC, which is down. Played Florida tough? Once. Mediocre in the conference. Two NIT appearances with two ugly losses. Basically, nothing to see here.

In summary, glad he's gone. Let's get a real coach.

complete idiot!

Reactions: 4 people
I personally liked Martin but he wasn't able to recruit to the talent level he needed to be able to beat Kentucky, Vandy, A&M on a consistent basis. There's no way this team should have had to resort to a play in game to the NCAA Tourney. The team underperformed the first 12-15 games of the season and that falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. Some of the blame probably was with his assistants.

Reactions: 2 people
I personally liked Martin but he wasn't able to recruit to the talent level he needed to be able to beat Kentucky, Vandy, A&M on a consistent basis. There's no way this team should have had to resort to a play in game to the NCAA Tourney. The team underperformed the first 12-15 games of the season and that falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. Some of the blame probably was with his assistants.

That's ok because he is taking them with him:hi:

complete idiot!

Why do you wanna make this personal, Jethro?

Idiocy is defined by doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result. As an example, limping into the NIT only to lose early in the tournament because your guys aren't "motivated". Limping into the NCAA play in game and stomping sub par competition which should have never been an issue( Tex A/M twice, Vandy, UTEP, Mercer a year ago, on and on and on).

Idiocy is supporting Cuonzo Martin who ran like a frightened elementary school girl, didn't even address his team in person.

Complete idiocy is represented by you, Jethro, or known here by your screen name "smokeybluetick the idiot".

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe you guys should realize that Tennessee will forever be a football school. When most people think about Tennessee basketball, they automatically think women's basketball. That's just the reality of the situation. Those longing for UT to be a 2 sport juggernaut need to realize that there are only a handful of schools able to accomplish that, and it takes a full commitment from the athletic dept and AD to make that happen, and I just don't see Hart and company having that commitment. JMO

Why do you wanna make this personal, Jethro?

Idiocy is defined by doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result. As an example, limping into the NIT only to lose early in the tournament because your guys aren't "motivated". Limping into the NCAA play in game and stomping sub par competition which should have never been an issue( Tex A/M twice, Vandy, UTEP, Mercer a year ago, on and on and on).

Idiocy is supporting Cuonzo Martin who ran like a frightened elementary school girl, didn't even address his team in person.

Complete idiocy is represented by you, Jethro, or known here by your screen name "smokeybluetick the idiot".

Idiocy is starting a thread about how we should have fired him before he quit, because of course it would have been better to pay his buyout than have Cal pay us to hire him. We're pocketing 1.3M because we didn't fire him.

Reactions: 4 people
Idiocy is starting a thread about how we should have fired him before he quit, because of course it would have been better to pay his buyout than have Cal pay us to hire him. We're pocketing 1.3M because we didn't fire him.

Good point. But his performance as head basketball coach merited being fired.

well I just got done hearing md tell how bad the locals were and how bad we treated cm,he also said the cm was never looking for a job- yet on the other sports channel eric ainge told how cm was looking for a job since mid season, how he was putting out feelers and how cm told everyone he hated living in Knoxville,i tend to go with eric ainge on this one no one just leaves a job in 1 day ,also I am amazed how the basketball team players have attacked the fans, this is for those guys, you signed with ut , you wear orange, if in the future the ncaa sees fit to pay players , the money will come from the university which will receive that from the Tennessee fans, so don't give me the bull about how bad we treated him ,he needed a thicker skin as do the wimpy players.you wear orange and you play for ut , not the coach .loyality to the coach is good, but you must remember the big picture.

VN Store

Back