I still believe Martin took TN for granted.

Dougie_D

When Martin took the job, I think he treated TN as a stepping stone and probably never realized the high expectations that TN needed. He probably didn't realize how tough the SEC could be either.

The petition was over-the-top but I don't think it was an ultimate factor. It probably opened his eyes about how truly passionate our fan base is.

Remember, Hamilton hired him and set the expectations needed to whatever Hamilton and Cuonzo agreed to. I'd 100% guarantee if Hamilton was still here, Cuonzo would be here also.

There was always a difference between Hart/Martin from the beginning. How many times did Martin ask for extension/raise? Coaches should earn them. Not ask. His agent is a problem too. Buddy Baker??

Anyways, I'm glad he moved on. He's a way better fit at Cal. He'll be able to learn the ropes and climb the ladder on his own pace.

TN can't afford to hire a newbie coach. I'm thinking Hart will look for someone who has a long history of coaching. At least 7 years IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
When Martin took the job, I think he treated TN as a stepping stone and probably never realized the high expectations that TN needed. He probably didn't realize how tough the SEC could be either.

The petition was over-the-top but I don't think it was an ultimate factor. It probably opened his eyes about how truly passionate our fan base is.

Remember, Hamilton hired him and set the expectations needed to whatever Hamilton and Cuonzo agreed to. I'd 100% guarantee if Hamilton was still here, Cuonzo would be here also.

There was always a difference between Hart/Martin from the beginning. How many times did Martin ask for extension/raise? Coaches should earn them. Not ask. His agent is a problem too. Buddy Baker??

Anyways, I'm glad he moved on. He's a way better fit at Cal. He'll be able to learn the ropes and climb the ladder on his own pace.

TN can't afford to hire a newbie coach. I'm thinking Hart will look for someone who has a long history of coaching. At least 7 years IMO.

Hope so

Your post is so idiotic I'm sorry I read it. Cuonzo was a class individual. He did not play Tennessee for a "stepping stone". Do you believe Cal is a step up from Tennessee?

In Hart's press conference he made it clear that he could hire an up and comer or a seasoned veteran coach.

The petition was a disgusting, disgrace of an effort by the whiney, spoiled, MTV generation crowd to get their way. And it worked. I hope Basilio and all of you petition signers are happy.

This is a "SAD" day in Tennessee basketball history that you spoiled, whiney, MTVer's get your way. It is hard to find an individual like Cuonzo in this day and age. Despite what you think Cuonzo had Tennessee moving forward.

Don't forget he had to clean up what that sleazy Pearl had done to UT basketball.

All you Cuonzo haters got your wish. And remember be careful because sometimes you get what you wish for.

Reactions: 13 people
Your post is so idiotic I'm sorry I read it. Cuonzo was a class individual. He did not play Tennessee for a "stepping stone". Do you believe Cal is a step up from Tennessee?

In Hart's press conference he made it clear that he could hire an up and comer or a seasoned veteran coach.

The petition was a disgusting, disgrace of an effort by the whiney, spoiled, MTV generation crowd to get their way. And it worked. I hope Basilio and all of you petition signers are happy.

This is a "SAD" day in Tennessee basketball history that you spoiled, whiney, MTVer's get your way. It is hard to find an individual like Cuonzo in this day and age. Despite what you think Cuonzo had Tennessee moving forward.

Don't forget he had to clean up what that sleazy Pearl had done to UT basketball.

All you Cuonzo haters got your wish. And remember be careful because sometimes you get what you wish for.

I agree the petition went too far, but let's not hold Martin up as a paragon of virtue. Did you miss the part where he basically recruited Okoroh to Cal on UT's dime? Hardly the hallmark of a "class" individual.

I agree the petition went too far, but let's not hold Martin up as a paragon of virtue. Did you miss the part where he basically recruited Okoroh to Cal on UT's dime? Hardly the hallmark of a "class" individual.

And yet, I doubt you were up in arms when he was doing it for Tennessee. Funny how life works.

Please get off your soap box and go back to your Bammer board and leave us alone. No one on volnation likes a person named Bear Bryant

Reactions: 2 people

Fans are whiney? Good grief, Cuonzo is the whiner. Just because the fans want to win, Cuonzo takes exception to it and whines because he doesn't get paid more for underachieving.

I didn't sign that dumb petition, but was unhappy the way we ended last season and the way the team played before the SEC tourney. I was then full Cuonzo all the way to the sweet 16. Then CCM started whining about the fans and was obviously trying to get out when he went to interview Marquette. I then realized that CCM couldn't motivate the players, but had to use the fans to get his players feel sorry for him to play up to their potential.

I am happy for CCM that he goes to Cal where it doesn't matter whether he wins or not. It does here and need a coach who understands that. Just ask Fulmer and Dooley.

You bammers don't give a whit about Tennessee. Just go back to your hole and watch your fans when Saban starts losing. Look in the mirror on how you treated Shula, Franciona, and the other underachieving coaches you had. You bammers didn't stand for it and we won't either. So get off your holier than thou soap box and stuff it.

Reactions: 1 person

I'm so happy he's gone thank you

You have to be joking. Zo was not treated well; however, most people where on the Zo train until he blew 3/4 the season with 3 seniors and 2 juniors starting. You need to wake up. MTVers? You think all those 20,000 plus ppl where all in there 20s and 30s? I know two families that were willing to give up their basketball season tickets that they had possed since TBA opened all because they saw what was to come. Zo was a great guy, but he couldn't hold the jock strap of an average coach when it comes to X and Os. Fans want to be entertained at the very least, and Zo can't even do that. His lethargic basketball is a disease when playing road games. This is the best team Zo has ever had, and by sure luck he made it to the sweet 16. Mercer beating Duke was a gift, and Umass was no better then a 12 seed. We made a run at the end of the season, but in that run we didn't beat one single NCAA team.

Oh well he is gone!!! And his cough cough CLASS what coach who supposedly loves his team leaves without telling them first. His kids never signed the petition he owed them that respect. He was a Good at best coach and I wish him the best.

I signed the petition! It wasn't about firing Gonzo it was about bring back Bruce and his excitement.

You bammers don't give a whit about Tennessee. Just go back to your hole and watch your fans when Saban starts losing. Look in the mirror on how you treated Shula, Franciona, and the other underachieving coaches you had. You bammers didn't stand for it and we won't either. So get off your holier than thou soap box and stuff it.

First of all, I'm not a bammer!!

Cuonzo never whined!! Reporters would ask him about the petition, criticism and he always said he had no time to worry about that.

I don't know what you mean you were disappointed the way the season ended, how they played in SEC tournament, blah, blah, blah.

At least you admit you are nothing but a bandwagon fan. If they win your all in, if they don't your a whiney little brat!!!

Don't you ever underestimate the sleaze of Pearl and the mess he left Tennessee in!!! Cuonzo was cleaning Sleaze Bags crap up and had Tennessee headed in the RIGHT direction!!

But do you care? No, you would probably love to have that AAU team Calipari puts together every year. After all they win!!!

I just read the first paragraph of Basilio. What a little weasel he is. Not giving Cuonzo any credit, saying the disgusting, disgraceful petition was the reason for the sweet sixteen run.

Saying Cuonzo is boring!! Why does that matter? Because he is all in for that nasty, sleaze bag Pearl.

And yet, I doubt you were up in arms when he was doing it for Tennessee. Funny how life works.

WTH are you even talking about? Of course I was okay with him recruiting for UT when UT was paying him to do so. That's part of the job.

The petition turned out to be a "not so good thing" however, Martin was gone, regardless of the petition or not.

Let's imagine that we have no petition but Hart offers him the $500,000 raise and a short term extension. Then Martin would realize that he is not appreciated here and would leave anyway.

The petition was not the best of idea's but it wasn't a deal breaker concerning Martin's future.

First of all, I'm not a bammer!!

Cuonzo never whined!! Reporters would ask him about the petition, criticism and he always said he had no time to worry about that.

I don't know what you mean you were disappointed the way the season ended, how they played in SEC tournament, blah, blah, blah.

At least you admit you are nothing but a bandwagon fan. If they win your all in, if they don't your a whiney little brat!!!

Don't you ever underestimate the sleaze of Pearl and the mess he left Tennessee in!!! Cuonzo was cleaning Sleaze Bags crap up and had Tennessee headed in the RIGHT direction!!

But do you care? No, you would probably love to have that AAU team Calipari puts together every year. After all they win!!!

What do you have against winning? I guess you want to hand out trophies to everyone. I am a bandwagon fan. I am full bandwagon for winning. I am reasonably patient to realize that it sometimes takes a while to be a winner, but winning is what I want. If you don't want that maybe you should do like CCM. Go somewhere that winning doesn't matter.

Martin said the petition didn't bother him a bit, yet also said it woke them up! I'm not sure we get to the Sweet 16 without it...I'm ok with him leaving. He can coach at Cal & be .500 & they'll be fine with it. They are probably the biggest major US university that cares the least about sports, so mediocrity is acceptable, unlike here.

Counzo can whine and leave because people aren't happy when he takes a ridiculously talented team and has to win a play in game to even make the tournament but fans cant question his ability? I agree the petition was a little over the top, but if your big complaint is "Our fanbase wants to win too much" Im glad youre not in any position to make calls on who coaches for Tennessee. He wasn't a terrible coach, but he wasn't a great coach either.

VN Store

Back