Dave Hart Blames Fans

volholio

"In one man's opinion, I don't think Cuonzo's decision was driven by dollars or was driven by necessarily number of years. I don't know. It was a tough year. I don't want to speak for Cuonzo. It was a tough year for Cuonzo and Roberta. There were a lot of distractions, you know what they were, you reported on them. Pretty tough for those young men and I talked to them and they have unsolicited, as the end of the year was progressing, made comments about how tough that was. It was a tough situation."

I agree. So do the players. So does the national media.

Reactions: 17 people
Good for all of those people. At the end of the day, these awful, no nothing fans continue to consistently deliver one of the best attendance records in all of college basketball. That money built this program a wonderful upgrade to TBA and a terrific practice facility.

I could understand if this was a situation where there wasn't baseline support for the program, but screw anyone who says that paying customers don't have a right to demand a better product when things aren't going well... which they weren't at the time of that petition.

Reactions: 42 people
"In one man's opinion, I don't think Cuonzo's decision was driven by dollars or was driven by necessarily number of years. I don't know. It was a tough year. I don't want to speak for Cuonzo. It was a tough year for Cuonzo and Roberta. There were a lot of distractions, you know what they were, you reported on them. Pretty tough for those young men and I talked to them and they have unsolicited, as the end of the year was progressing, made comments about how tough that was. It was a tough situation."

I agree. So do the players. So does the national media.

Kind of like how his alma mater did Bill Curry. Screw Hart. Hypocrite. Bet he helped lead the charge to can Curry.

Reactions: 5 people
Not all the fan's fault, but yes there is enough blame to go around to everybody. The Media and the AD included. Harrassing phone calls, yes

Reporting it correctly is a start and supporting the coach is another especially by the AD. Boosters and planes, who knows.

The Media blew it up more than one would expected with faulty journalism.

Martin can accept some credit also for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Coach martin was paid well. Take the heat or get out of the kitchen. Guess he could not take the heat. He had a job to do and did not do it good enough for his bosses. The fans who pay the bills.

Reactions: 7 people
Coach martin was paid well. Take the heat or get out of the kitchen. Guess he could not take the heat. He had a job to do and did not do it good enough for his bosses. The fans who pay the bills.

We like to think we do, but we don't.

Reactions: 2 people
Very disappointed in CCM leaving, but none of us know what he endured while at the helm of the coaching reigns at UT. I do know he was smiling like he just got out of Hell at that CAL press conference. Best of luck Coach Martin.

Reactions: 13 people

Enough for his bosses? He ditched them, he wasn't fired. Lol

Put a crap product on the floor and fans are going to complain and justifiably so. Hart could have put the program in the best position it has been in for three years and let a great coach go to Auburn. That will go down in Tennessee history like Kentucky giving Bear Bryant that cigarette lighter for winning the SEC in football. smh

Reactions: 5 people
Very disappointed in CCM leaving, but none of us know what he endured while at the helm of the coaching reigns at UT. I do know he was smiling like he just got out of Hell at that CAL press conference. Best of luck Coach Martin.

In thinking UT basketball fans just got out of Hell watching him coach and especially recruit.

Reactions: 8 people
Well if we truly scared him away - kudos to the fans!!

Let's be honest - this is a good fan base. We just had #2 spring game attendance after how many losing seasons?!?!?!

36k signing a petition is pretty badass too IMO - think about if we coulda done that to Dooley a year earlier!

So, I signed the petition (as my wife says, "there's a Bruce Pearl petition out, I'm going to put our names on it") and felt he had @ .001 chance of coming back. I believe it was after another 2 hours of sitting through the same miserable basketball I had been watching for the past 2.5 years. That's the thought process that went behind it for me.
That said:
-it helped drive the team to their best play when they couldn't find their own reasons to play well and almost waited too late
-and it helped both parties move on from a bad relationship with no immediate or long term future.

My sig and others are solely responsible for the sweet 16 run, and the new upcoming and exciting coach we will get now instead of waiting 2-3 years to do it.
Really though, no thanks needed. This is no time to gloat. People that don't know basketball are upset and we need to let them mourn.

Reactions: 15 people
So in other words we want the fans to buy tickets, buy merchandise but keep your mouths shut when the product sucks.

Reactions: 8 people
You get paid big bucks as coach, your fans PAY big bucks to see your product, you better produce BIG results, or you get every single solitary bit of what's coming at you.

Good luck, XCCM.

Well if we truly scared him away - kudos to the fans!!

Let's be honest - this is a good fan base. We just had #2 spring game attendance after how many losing seasons?!?!?!

36k signing a petition is pretty badass too IMO - think about if we coulda done that to Dooley a year earlier!

Except many schools (Alabama, Florida State, etc) haven't played their spring game yet. But I get what you're saying.

Hart is playing both sides of the fence, there was alot the Cheek and Chong show could have done. With Cheeks and Hart it is pass the buck to the fans, UT will never return to relevance until Cheeks is shown the door. BTW if Hart knew of Martin's discontent don't you think he should have a plan in place and not play the surprised card.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back