ESPN NCAAB Blog Write Up on Martin's Departure

TrueOrange

With Cuonzo Martin exit, Tennessee Vols get what they deserve - ESPN

In the most deliciously ironic coaching carousel ride in some time, the University of Tennessee, both fan base and athletic department, somehow managed to get what they no longer wanted and exactly what they deserved.

Cuonzo Martin, the man they treated like a bad case of the flu for three years, essentially put his thumb to his nose, wiggled his fingers and said, "Stuff it." He is off to the greener, more welcoming pastures of Cal while Tennessee is left with a bare cupboard, no coach and, worst of all, the coach it longed for now working down the SEC road at Auburn.

Using Grinchian vernacular, Martin even took the Who Hash. Seven-foot-1 center prospect Kingsley Okoroh, who committed to UT on Monday, tweeted within an hour of Martin’s departure that he, too, was off to Berkeley.

The Volunteers, apparently, would have been wise to look at the fine print when Martin said, upon removing himself from the Marquette search that, "Tennessee is where I want to be. That has never changed."

He made those remarks, after all, on April Fools' Day.

And now the joke is on Tennessee.

Or the joke is Tennessee. Take your pick. Both are applicable.

The school is now on its third basketball coach in four years, to partner with the four football coaches it’s hired in the past six seasons.

No one will argue that Tennessee is a plum job -- one currently unemployed coach called me within an hour of the opening to inquire about it -- but the administration and fan base are doing a helluva job turning Knoxville into a reality show.

This is now a place that has been jilted by both Lane Kiffin and Martin.

Except when Kiffin left, his players were furious.

When Martin hit the road, Jordan McRae took to social media: “Can’t treat people any kind of way and expect good in return,” he wrote.

No you cannot. Even in this weird, morally challenged world, the golden rule does still have some teeth. You can’t spend three years making a man feel like an unwanted interim coach and then, once he reaches the Sweet 16, expect him to return the warm and phony embrace.

Less than a month ago, 36,000 fans signed a petition to get rid of Martin and return Bruce Pearl to glory. Never mind the fact Martin spent his entire tenure trying to extricate the Vols from the NCAA crater that Pearl had dug them. Pearl was Pearl -- gregarious and fun, with an up-and-down style and he still lived in Knoxville.

In the days before the Sweet 16 game -- and after Pearl signed with Auburn -- came another petition. This one was aimed at getting Martin a raise, complete with an open apology for the first petition.

Prior to today's news conference, called after Martin already had left, Hart had given and offered Martin one measly raise -- $50,000 last year. That bumped Martin’s overall salary to $1.35 million, 11th in the 14-member SEC.

And then when the Vols thumped Mercer to go to the regional semifinal, there was Hart embracing Martin on the court.

Didn’t work for Judas.

Won’t work here.

Vols fans, no doubt, will say that Cal will fail and good riddance and that’s fine. Hell hath no fury like a fan base scorned.

And that’s OK, too.

But remove the anger and what you see is a coach who was far from an epic failure. He went 63-41 in his three seasons, finishing in the top five of the SEC in each season.

This despite the stain and strain of NCAA sanctions.

In a lot of places that would merit a raise, a contract extension and a heap of praise.

At Tennessee, it got Martin a heap of nothing. Impatient fans and lukewarm administrators never really gave Martin a chance -- Indiana fans, with a bit more basketball dog in the fight, gave Tom Crean a longer leash.

And now the Vols got what they stopped wanting and exactly what they deserved.

Reactions: 10 people
Ouch. Were a national joke. A laughing stock.

This is why, in my opinion, the pressure is now squarely on Dave Hart to NOT go hire a no name, but to show everyone UT isn't a laughing stock, and we are to be taken seriously. No more clearance shelf buys, and bargain coaches. Bases are loaded, 2 outs, bottom of the 9th, down by 3, time for a grand slam, and Hart's up to bat...

PS - I was totally ok with Martin leaving, as i've said all along, he is a great man, great life story, but just an "OK" coach. But at this point we cannot hire someone unproven.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
i don't think zo was the man for the program either.

however, i am struggling to see where the article is wrong

Reactions: 1 person
This is why, in my opinion, the pressure is now squarely on Dave Hart to NOT go hire a no name, but to show everyone UT isn't a laughing stock, and we are to be taken seriously. No more clearance shelf buys, and bargain coaches. Bases are loaded, 2 outs, bottom of the 9th, Hart's up to bat...

PS - I was totally ok with Martin leaving, as i've said all along, he is a great man, great life story, but just an "OK" coach. But at this point we cannot hire someone unproven.

Good post

This is exactly what idiot fans petitioning to get rid of someone who was giving there all for tennessee deserves. It sucks for fans like myself and others. I hope this wakes some really really dumb people up and learn to support whoever is coach until they are no longer the coach. Otherwise karma will find you.

Reactions: 8 people
This is exactly what idiot fans petitioning to get rid of someone who was giving there all for tennessee deserves. It sucks for fans like myself and others. I hope this wakes some really really dumb people up and learn to support whoever is coach until they are no longer the coach. Otherwise karma will find you.

Lol. I'm so sick of hearing "the petition, the petition." You really think this is all bc of a petition?

Reactions: 9 people
Lol. I'm so sick of hearing "the petition, the petition." You really think this is all bc of a petition?

it's a big part of it.

he was treated like trash by the school and the fan base.

dave hart told him one thing publicly then offered him a nickel for a raise.

i'm in the minority here, but cuonzo has handled this with nothing but class. lord knows, if he were to say what he was feeling what stuff might get said.

Reactions: 10 people
We do deserve better...That much is correct...They try to spin it like Martin left us high and dry when it is us who left him high and dry a looong time ago....Believe me, we are the winners in this decision.

Reactions: 7 people
it's a big part of it.

he was treated like trash by the school and the fan base.

dave hart told him one thing publicly then offered him a nickel for a raise.

i'm in the minority here, but cuonzo has handled this with nothing but class. lord knows, if he were to say what he was feeling what stuff might get said.

Does taking a committed recruit with you constitute class to you?

It doesn't to me, but I'm not a Gator either!

Reactions: 2 people

Meh, another national 'expert' who opines from afar and has no clue about the entirety of the Martin tenure...

I'll tell you what, Martins a decent coach but he's a Hall of Famer in being placed in the role of victim...

For the record, Dana O'Neil was a decent columnist when she was in Philly but she's become like the average national columnist--and that's a lazy hack who looks for the easy narrative...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Paging Gregg Marshall....

Seriously, he's paid 1.7 million at Wichita, with a $250,000 buyout. We were set to pay an OK coach (Cuonzo) 1.8 million with a $500,000 buyout. I say offer Marshall 2.25-2.5 million with a decent buyout and make him say no. He might, but it's worth a shot. You hire a guy who went undefeated this year, and a final four the previous year and you aren't a laughing stock anymore.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back