Be realistic, who can you see Tennessee hiring for a basketball coach?

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
With Cuonzo Martin gone, it's time for a coaching search once again. I'm not really that all upset to be honest cause I feel we can do better. Question is, who could you see Tennessee going after? In my opinion, I could see them giving Gregg Marshall or Ben Howland a call. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
With Cuonzo Martin gone, it's time for a coaching change once again. I'm not really that all upset to be honest cause I feel we can do better. Question is, who could you see Tennessee going after? In my opinion, I could see them giving Gregg Marshall or Ben Howland a call. What do you guys think?
I think for a lot of people its one of those two guys or bust.

I don't think they'll pay Marshall. I'd say nothing less than 2.8 million even gets his attention. And I don't see UT paying that much.

Gotta at least call Marshall. Then maybe look to bruce pearl or buzz peterson

Even Bruce Pearl isn't a-hole enough to ditch a school without even coaching a game. And besides we can't afford $5,000,000 to buy out a contract.

And...wait a minute. You just seriously suggested BBBuzz?

Last edited:
if it's howland, be prepared to win....but, be prepared to be incredibly bored.

Do we agree that Marshall doesn't answer the phone unless $3 mil is on the other end of the call?

No coach wants to come here. We run them out of town for winning games and going to the sweet 16. We are a dysfunctioning dumpster fire

Its amazing some people still believe we can pull a coach like marshall. Was the gruden saga not enough for you guys? What coach in their right mind would want to come here after a petition to run our winning coach out of town comes along every year? Prepare for disappointment and history to repeat itself

Reactions: 11 people
No coach wants to come here. We run them out of town for winning games and going to the sweet 16. We are a dysfunctioning dumpster fire

Its amazing some people still believe we can pull a coach like marshall. Was the gruden saga not enough for you guys? What coach in their right mind would want to come here after a petition to run our winning coach out of town comes along every year? Prepare for disappointment and history to repeat itself

Can't be any worse than going through the Martin era.

I'll be stunned if UT ever pays a basketball coach more than a football coach.

They won't. 2-2.5 will be max IMO. I'd bet closer to 2 million. You can get a very good BB coach for 2 million a year. IMO Martin was not a 2 million/yr type of coach. IMO Hart was being generous to even offer him that.

Reactions: 1 person
They won't. 2-2.5 will be max IMO. I'd bet closer to 2 million. You can get a very good BB coach for 2 million a year. IMO Martin was not a 2 million/yr type of coach. IMO Hart was being generous to even offer him that.

Yep, low-mid 2's will be as high as it gets. They could get Howland for that, IMO. Probably not Marshall though.

I'll be stunned if UT ever pays a basketball coach more than a football coach.

I agree, but I don't think Marshall would want the hassle of playing 3rd or 4th fiddle in this conference along with our insane fan base unless we pay him enough for his wife and kids to take Michelle Obama vacations every other month.

Reactions: 2 people
Should have hired Rick Byrd last time and this time. But they won't, it makes too much sense. He is one of the best in the country. Ask coaches, K, Roy Williams, and Shaka Smart about Rick Byrd. They don't want to play Belmont. He's 60 but so what, he can coach a good 10 years or so. Get behind this Volnation.

Reactions: 5 people
Knoxville.......Wichita...... Its a not even close. Nothing but a windy flat dust bowl. And toll roads. Come on. Marshall wanted this job twice. Third time???? With the right check. Yes I think he takes it. That argument is as sound as Buzz.

VN Store

Back